User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 42 of 49 First Previous 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-31, 23:49

So I moved my minecraft folder from App Support to Dropbox and used the make symlink command to make sure MC's launcher sees it and all is well.
Code:
ln -s ~/Dropbox/minecraft ~/Library/Application\ Support/minecraft
This is good for me since I'll play on different computers and now only have to update the templates once and my saved games are everywhere for when I play locally etc.

Louis L'Amour, β€œTo make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-01, 01:03

Lolwut?

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-01, 01:04

Don't tell me I'm getting into Minecraft just as it's getting dumb.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-01, 01:07

No, you're getting into the game just as it's getting awesome.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-04-01, 09:32

Just as a preemptive measure as we expand our ever growing MC user base I sketched out an area roughly to the ESE of the current rink construction (within line of sight). It's some very rugged taiga terrain that I have some ideas for, but am unable to work with at the moment.

I've placed some dirt columns, torches, and signs to demarcate the rough boundaries. I hope no one objects to my land grab. I'll try and sketch out its location on a world map sometime tonight/this weekend.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-01, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

No, you're getting into the game just as it's getting awesome.
In case my response wasn't entirely obvious, I encourage you to check the calendar for today's date.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-01, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Just as a preemptive measure as we expand our ever growing MC user base...
And on a related note, atari has taken up new residence in an explored but untouched area of land. He's started clearing an area and building in the wood to the southwest direction of flaming mountain, west of the NS skyway strip and south of the cobble EW section of skyway.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-01, 12:10

Quote:
In case my response wasn't entirely obvious, I encourage you to check the calendar for today's date.
I know.

@ the last one.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-01, 23:06

Robo, you can burn Wood in a furnace to get charcoal, which has literally the same function as coal while being a renewable source.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-01, 23:10

There are furnaces now? I think you are underestimating my Mindcraft n00bness.

But I'm figuring it out. That's half the fun.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-01, 23:26

It's okay. I can rough it. I'm a frontiersman, I am.

(I just figured out how to cycle through items on the hotbar. The mouse wheel. I'm S-M-R-T smart!)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-02, 00:03

OH GOD WHAT IS THAT NOISE

(Minecraft: Not to be played in a dark room. )

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-02, 00:13

ssssssssssssssssssss

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-02, 01:28

Great success! Tonight we had ten (10!) players on at once and only then did the server start to groan under the strain. It looks like some of the custom JVM arguments have indeed helped a fair bit. I will try installing Java 7 tomorrow to see if that eeks out even more performance on this machine.

Also, welcome Robo! You joined at an all-time peak load on the server. So, not only were you fighting the high latency of your WiMax connection but also the occasional lag spikes caused by the server itself being under high load. Thanks for sticking through it. Hopefully the next time you connect will be a little less painful.

In local news, lots of projects are springing up around Bridgeport again. Kraetos tore down his pub and housing complex and is building a much larger, more luxurious pub. Bryson claimed the sandy area on the east side of Bridgeport to start building his new theater. iJak/TPoit tore down his farm shack and is rebuilding a stylish brick barn with a revised farmland behind it. I just finished my new house in he woods behind the Apple Store and I'm considering another project in town, but I need to sketch it out on paper first.

I guess I'm overdue for some world maps, too! I'll pull the backup tomorrow and generate some images to share here then.

Exciting times.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-02, 02:20

OK, Minecraft is officially awesome and all of you who don't play it are punks for not playing it. That is all.

Quote:
Also, welcome Robo! You joined at an all-time peak load on the server. So, not only were you fighting the high latency of your WiMax connection but also the occasional lag spikes caused by the server itself being under high load. Thanks for sticking through it. Hopefully the next time you connect will be a little less painful.
It actually wasn't that bad. The game itself didn't feel too laggy for me, but a few things were problematically slow: doors, chests, and...talking. But all that got better later into the night, presumably because fewer people were on. Although Captain_Drew joined, which was cool.

I'll see about "upgrading" my internet through some nefarious means.

Quote:
I guess I'm overdue for some world maps, too! I'll pull the backup tomorrow and generate some images to share here then.
A map would help β€” I mainly just followed you and Rowdy around the whole time. Although being able to read the signs also helps. Thx for the texture pack, Brad!

You all are all crazy. I mean, skyways? Holy what the fuck. (But convenient!)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-02, 02:53

Billybobsky, was that you who took me for my first lessons? That was neat!!

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-02, 02:54

Yes it was, it was fun.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-02, 11:54

Crazy crazy world...

Or something.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2011-04-02 at 20:56.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-02, 12:18

Also, did someone get lost going south/east/north down there? Or was that another clay expedition?

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-02, 12:32

I has a new desktop wallpaper.

OK, I'm going to watch a few more tutorials today. I thought monsters were supposed to go away during the day.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-02, 12:58

The skellies and zombies burn up and die in sunlight The sun has to be up about 20 degrees over the horizon, I think, for them to catch fire. If they're in water or under dark enough shade, they'll survive. Spiders (sometimes, if they're not in attack mode already) become tame during daylight but stick around. When tame, you can literally walk right up to them and they'll ignore you. Creepers stick around too, but creepers gonna creep. Fortunately, if you wander away for a bit, hostiles will despawn on their own without you having to kill them.

Also, no new baddies spawn in daylight. So, the numbers should constantly dwindle with the sun up.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-02, 13:06

Yes, that little southeast loop was me on a clay mission. Didn't realise I had gone quite that far.... Feel free to trim it so I can harvest the clay from it again!

I think the part at the end was where I found the Steve Co Supply Crate.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-04-02, 13:06

Wow, that isometric map view is apparently too large for MobileSafari, even on an iPad 2 - mine started loading it, then stopped responding entirely.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-02, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Wow, that isometric map view is apparently too large for MobileSafari, even on an iPad 2 - mine started loading it, then stopped responding entirely.
39 megapixels. 7840x4981.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-02, 13:17

Does DropBox have bandwidth limits? Will they shut down your image just like most other free hosting sites?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-02, 13:22

Dunno. I guess we'll find out if you guys download the maps a thousand times instead of saving them? No, don't do that.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-02, 15:08

Ok... so, I'm sketching out my next project, and I'm going to need a LOT of land for it. Since nobody generally seems to like building in deserts, I thought I'd take over the small desert southeast of Bridgeport.

I plan to collect lots of the sand that's out there, but I won't be using it all myself. So, I'll stash what I find in chests and eventually may migrate it (with some help?) to the community exchange.

Any major objections?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-02, 15:12

Could you push it east just a touch so it doesn't intersect Heart Lake or the little area just outside my ranch?

What are you making?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-02, 16:00

Oh yeah. The perimeter there is just a rough guide to illustrate the area. I'll be using less land than that.

addabox
Veteran Member

2011-04-02, 16:15

I think I've read that there's a lower limit to the world, a layer of indestructible bedrock. Is there an upper limit? Can you build a tower to heaven? And what's the deal with the Nether? Will there be a Nova outpost among the zombie pigmen?

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated