Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

instant messanger

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
instant messanger
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-05-13, 21:53

ok, now im gonna get made fun of for this one, but like i keep saying, im brand new to mac and have no idea what im doing. how come every time i sign onto aim and then i go away for awhile or what not, i get signed off. at first i thought it was my computer going to "sleep" so i turned that off and it still does it. i know its a dumb thing but can anyone help me out here?
Stevuh

Send a message via AIM to Stevuh  
2005-05-13, 22:03

More info please. . . what client are you using, Ichat, AIM, Adium, etc... What system are you running. how are you connecting to the internet. all of these could be the problem and we need to know these things to answer your question.

"History will be kind to me because i intend to write it" -- Winston Churchill

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. -- Winston Churchill
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-05-13, 23:39

i apologize, AIM, tiger, cable modem via airport, but i think it has to do something about when my powerbook goes into sleep mode...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-13, 23:43

Are you using the latest version of AIM?

Try using iChat instead for a while and see if it still disconnects. That'll help isolate the issue.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-14, 00:07

Sleep mode he said. Looks like your PowerBook's default settings are to automatically sleep after a certain period of time. When it sleeps, it disconnects you (regardless of which client you are using). To change it, go into your energy saver preferences and it should be pretty apparent what to do from there. If not just ask, someone here can walk you through it if need be.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-14, 00:16

He already said he turned off the options that put his PB to sleep...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-14, 00:37

I guess he's giving conflicting information... first he says he turned off sleep mode, then he said it's because it goes into sleep. What's the problem? Did you turn off sleep mode and it still sleeps? When you close it it automatically sleeps too.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-05-14, 08:01

no i apologize, i did turn off sleep in the energy saving mode, but then i didnt realize i didnt unclick put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible, so i unclicked that last night, but i couldnt really tell you if it worked or not cuz we had a storm and the internet went down for a lil bit apparently so ill try it out again today and let you know whats up, thats for the help though, i appreciate it so much but i totally loving this apple so far..far better then the dell

ps: on another note, im glad when i call technical support, i can talk to an american i understand unlike dell who outsources to india or what not, haha, that alone seems worth it, haha
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-05-14, 08:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey
at first i thought it was my computer going to "sleep" so i turned that off and it still does it.
I don't think that's conflicting information at all. However like Luca said, you can't close your computer, or else it puts it to sleep.

If you don't have your computer set to sleep, it has to be your internet connection.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-14, 08:40

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Hard disk sleep won't disconnect you from IM, only full system sleep will do that. Putting the entire system to sleep sends it into a low power mode where just enough energy is used to maintain the contents of the RAM.

If the power went out for a little bit then it's very likely that's the culprit... power was lost somewhere in the chain between your computer and your ISP and it disconnected you. Hopefully that's the case... I don't know what would cause it to disconnect you but I could only suspect internet connection problems of some kind.

EDIT: Got confused with the pronouns. I read "it still does it" as "it still goes to sleep," not "it still disconnects." My bad.

Last edited by Luca : 2005-05-14 at 08:45.