Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Strange Onyx/Safari/Expose issue

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Strange Onyx/Safari/Expose issue
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-03-27, 19:27

I *think* I've solved this, but if anyone else has any ideas they might be useful.

I downloaded and started using Onyx today. I was particularly taken with the "minimise desktop" option for Expose, which i thought was really good. However - with the option turned on, the top left hand corner of my screen becomes unclickable with the mouse in Safari - so you cant click minimise, zoom or close, forward, back, bookmarks or the first couple of bookmarks on the bookmark bar. You can click on the menu items in the finder bar, but you cant click on any of the options in either the Apple Menu or the safari menu. It's like there's a dead spot about an inch and a half a side in the top left hand corner.

I thought it was the area in which the desktop minimises to, but I've moved it and the dead spot doesn't move with it. It only happens in Safari (well, I haven't opened every app on the machine, but a fair few) and I can reliably turn the effect on and off by turning minimize desktop on and off in Onyx.

It isn't a big deal (I just thought minimize desktop was cool, but I can live without it) but was so odd I thought I'd share it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-27, 19:55

This is a very well known and documented issue. I'd be very surprised if Onyx doesn't give some kind of warning in its own documentation about it.

The bug is actually in the Dock.app, not Onyx or anything else. Yes, ladies and gents, the Dock handles Exposé. Anyway, the minimize to desktop feature was never finished and obviously never intended for public use; so, this bug has never been addressed by Apple.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-03-27, 20:24

Good to know. Thanks Brad

Maybe another one for the "will Tiger include....?" thread(s).