Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC 1.0: The New World

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC 1.0: The New World
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2011-11-15, 17:33

MineCon is approaching and Notch's "good enough for now" seed has apparently gone Gold. So, that means sayonara to our home in Loch Greene and hello to a more permanent world. Exciting times for all.

So, this is meant to be a sounding board on what all of our players expect from TNW and what we maybe would want to change from our lives in BP. We can hopefully come to some resolutions and make TNW more to our common likings from the get-go. I'll start:

• I think the skyways were too high in BP. I'll take most of the heat for that, but I think they would be better looking if they were half as high or less. I think a central city would feel better if we were looking up at all of our creations instead of down. imo, of course. Also, if you haven't yet, take a look at Elysium's design in our current world. It's a combination of the old-world BP design with the addition of stone brick. Since stone brick is cheap, I'd propose some thing similar in design. Also, we need to come to a consensus on how rails will be built, or if we even need them with the Bukkit plugins.

• Curious if we'll treat the Nether as a place not to be fucked with. And for that matter, Strongholds. Glowstone, Netherblock, Mossy and Cracked Stone Block would have to be asked for from the Ops. I for one would like them to remain intact.

• Exploration. Much larger biomes mean much larger exploration, obviously. In LG we hit 95% of our RAM disk, without really breaking a sweat. Should there be coord limits for exploration, at least until we figure out how to deal with a much larger world?

• New Members. Bring 'em on - the more the better and it makes gameplay so much more enjoyable when there's other people on. That said, I'd like us all to put together a more comprehensive "rule" system. Land grabs, personal space, etc. Couldn't hurt for all current members (including me) to refresh on that before TNW.

So spill it fellow MC friends. The more we plan this beforehand the better TNW will be.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-15, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
• I think the skyways were too high in BP. I'll take most of the heat for that, but I think they would be better looking if they were half as high or less. I think a central city would feel better if we were looking up at all of our creations instead of down. imo, of course. Also, if you haven't yet, take a look at Elysium's design in our current world. It's a combination of the old-world BP design with the addition of stone brick. Since stone brick is cheap, I'd propose some thing similar in design. Also, we need to come to a consensus on how rails will be built, or if we even need them with the Bukkit plugins.
Agreed!

Quote:
• Curious if we'll treat the Nether as a place not to be fucked with. And for that matter, Strongholds. Glowstone, Netherblock, Mossy and Cracked Stone Block would have to be asked for from the Ops. I for one would like them to remain intact.
After going totally legit for a long time in LG, I'd be happy to loosen the reins and drop rarities into Community Exchange 3.0.

Quote:
• Exploration. Much larger biomes mean much larger exploration, obviously. In LG we hit 95% of our RAM disk, without really breaking a sweat. Should there be coord limits for exploration, at least until we figure out how to deal with a much larger world?
I was actually thinking we should kick off another fund drive. Turtle needs an SSD so I can't stop sweating over maxing out the RAM-based tmpfs volume. When we hit 98%, that left just 16 MB to spare. Another metachunk and we'd have been in real trouble!

114 bucks would get a very highly-rated Crucial 64 GB SSD. We'd never use up that much space in the world, meaning RAM and CPU would be our next bottleneck, neither of which are a serious concern at the moment. Moving the world to an SSD would free up another 300 MB of RAM for the game.

Quote:
• New Members. Bring 'em on - the more the better and it makes gameplay so much more enjoyable when there's other people on. That said, I'd like us all to put together a more comprehensive "rule" system. Land grabs, personal space, etc. Couldn't hurt for all current members (including me) to refresh on that before TNW.
Agreed! Find yo' kids! Find yo' wife! More cooks in the kitchen!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2011-11-15, 18:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I was actually thinking we should kick off another fund drive. Turtle needs an SSD so I can't stop sweating over maxing out the RAM-based tmpfs volume. When we hit 95%, that left just 16 MB to spare. Another metachunk and we'd have been in real trouble!

114 bucks would get a very highly-rated Crucial 64 GB SSD. We'd never use up that much space in the world, meaning RAM and CPU would be our next bottleneck, neither of which are a serious concern at the moment. Moving the world to an SSD would free up another 300 MB of RAM for the game.
Well hell, that shouldn't be difficult at all given the amount of players we have. Set it up T! We could have this ordered by the weekend!

Snow biomes for everyone!

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-11-15, 19:05

Hmm...

I don't think I would be able to contribute as much as I did last time, but I could kick some money towards an SSD.

For extra shits and giggles, just to see what scruff comes up: what about raided SSDs...
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-11-15, 19:16

I'm game for contributing to the SDD fund. I'm likely going to be one the the explorers that will tax it in order to find a snow biome for home base (no more rain!).

I agree on the skyway heights and Nether preservation. As to depositing the rarities in the exchange, sure... But let's make it an actual exchange somehow.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-11-15, 19:27

I never really used the communal rails in BP and if they are added think we should bury them. Now this leads to all sorts of issues wrt mines et cetera (i know, I totally did that on purpose, screw you latin), but I think people can deal with a 4x4 tunnel running under the map as long as it doesn't go into their basement (and if it does they should just reroute it).
¡Damned!

2011-11-15, 19:39

Eh. You know, I love the idea of underground railroads, but I don't know if they're seriously practical. Everyone wants to dig deep directly under their houses. We would almost have to to do what Drew suggested in the other thread and designate lines that are above and below ground. Suburbs could be either, but inside the city we'd need to plan it.

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-11-15, 19:57

Hell, I want a train station in my basement.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-11-15, 19:58

Oh and holy shit:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BerickCo.../1/_3Zu9dg-4FA
¡Damned!

2011-11-15, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Hmm...

I don't think I would be able to contribute as much as I did last time, but I could kick some money towards an SSD.
And you shouldn't. We have a ton of players now. In fact, you shouldn't have to contribute at all given your past contributions. Even 5 dollars from every person that wants to play on the server would be enough. Shit, I spend that on one crappy cider for my gf.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2011-11-15, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Pheh. Child's play. We can do so much better.

Plus Creative mode is for teh gheys. *gets banned from Oscars*
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-11-15, 20:53

I should be able to contribute something for the SSD. Just need to know what we're going for, how much, etc.

I'd agree on lower skyways/rail lines. We should be careful in how we design any sort of rail systems that are underground, but I love the idea (as well as underwater, too). I think what may be worth having in this regard is either reported coordinate ranges for the rails. We obviously don't want a rail line to suddenly be inserted in some place that goes through a mine, but we also need to be careful of the skyway/rail system overload that happened in Bridgeport. Understandably, we all wanted to be connected in some way. There, we all had central buildings in Bridgeport of some type, but most of us spread out somewhat, too. We should probably come to a consensus on what should designate the need for a skyway rail, and what should designate the need for underground. If others would like to see it, I'd personally love to connect any sections of occupied land separated by water with underwater tunnels. Realistically, we do nothing underwater, so this is perhaps the least invasive design to the rest of the world, save for what a bitch it can be to make. If the support is there for it, I'd be happy to build it.

I suppose it may require some waiting until we have gotten the new world established, at least initially, but should we perhaps set some sort of rules regarding mining? While being close to everyone in LG was awesome, I think we all felt that there was too much overlap in the tunnels underneath.

In regards to the Nether, I'm fine with establishing a presence within it for some things (hunting Ghasts/Blazes/etc.), but would hope for some admin help for some materials, as realistically, glowstone is an absolute bitch to obtain, especially with what some of us would like to do. I think it should be discretionary in when it is given, and not overly abused, but there are some instances in which it is ridiculous to obtain enough to make what we'd like, when it would look much better than torches.

My friend should be getting on in time for the new world, or at least I'm hoping.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-11-15, 23:06

I guess the simplest rule would be a station stop every x number of blocks where x is close to 250 or more (but certainly not less).... The stations can then be carefully designed, each a project of their own...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-11-16, 00:35

Stations? Rails? What version are YOU people playing on?? I plan on teleporting like mad!!!

Underground is fine with me.

To reiterate my comments from another thread:

Planning, people, PLANNING.

For areas where we congregate it would be good to first establish common routes of travel.

Call them roads or paths, they will create a framework that will add order and interest to the most "urban" of our developments.

Cities are amazing for a reason... grids.... layered grids... the occasional route that breaks the grid.

We can't (and shouldn't) try to plan it out like a masterplan, but we should try to order along certain lines of travel.

Think about procession through space as you stake out your cities.

And hide me from the creepers!!!!!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-11-16, 00:39

WHEN will we be a-doing this thing anyhow?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-11-16, 00:43

I'm not sure I understand how lower Skyways would work. Would they have to be above roads/empty space? I assume so as the high ones were to allow building below.

I'm ok with declaring "interesting" features (strongholds, nether strongholds, villages) off-limits for resource gathering, but I've very much liked the "no freebies" ethos of LG. So I think restricting supply of those rarities is good. Yes, glowstone looks a bit nicer, but now we can grow pumpkins, then jackolanterns should suffice in most situations. I dunno about a hard "no altering the nether" policy though.

I pitched in for the CPU and I'll pitch in for an SSD, no problem.

New people: sure. But let's be sure we really do know them.

Near surface underground rail? Yeah, I like. I like better than mid-height skyways, actually.

Are we going to bring some Bridgeport and Loch Green structures over once Bukkit is available? We could even choose sites for two other "towns" with buildings from each - close but not too close.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-16, 00:48

I kinda like the skyways higher because we almost always have footpaths for the city areas. I don't really care much about looking at the trees and such when going from one major project area to another. Maybe make them go higher in the less populated areas...

I love the train systems and certainly think we can have them underground as we did for some parts. In the city area maybe we should consider not cutting straight to bedrock as most of us do now. Maybe figure that the rail system be -10 or so blocks below the lowest point of the surface. Go around people's houses and such and try to stay close to inline with the food paths.

Giving out stuff from Nether is something I have no problem with at all. Personally I don't care if we even have an exchange where something has to be exchanged. If you want it I'll give it unless it's been decided by the masses not to. I'll go with majority rule on this one. But this is from the guy who's planning the next armory and tool shed.

Upgrading the drive to an SSD (adding really and we move backups to the HDD) is something I'd love to see. Click here to donate now. That being said, I would personally chip in too and if everyone donates a little it should add up quickly. Lowest cost with highest performance is the goal here. Capacity isn't really the biggest factor since it doesn't need to be that large. The one Brad linked to looks like a great fit. This is my personal dream however. I have good taste. Don't worry, I don't expect anyone to chip in for that lust.

New members... I'm not so open though more open than before. The one nice part about our server is it's a "safe place" that our stuff doesn't get messed with or messed up. Then again it sometimes seems dead from the lack of activity. I think we need to limit to personal referrals at the least. Then again, what's the worst they can do? Make us revert to backup? Is there an audit plugin we can run Brad?

My final concern is that we become a typical City Council that takes the fun out of the game because of rules about how tall my grass can be and how this can be done and that must be done etc....As long as we all remember, we're here to have fun and enjoy ourselves.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-11-16, 00:48

I think the level of my walkway from Olde Towne out to my beach house might be a good model. It was treetop tall, which should keep you safe in most instances even from spider attacks if you build it the right way.

I am personally crap at the Nether and I *definitely* want glowstone, so on that point I disagree with Bryson.

I'll pitch in for the SSD, RAIDed or not.

I personally feel no need to keep any of my Loch Green structures, but others have made nice things... I figure it's no prob for Brad to move those as well.

I *do* need to eat the cake that Mrs. T made for me before we go though

Edit:
Wanted to add a sentence that didn't begin with the word "I".

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2011-11-16, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I'm not sure I understand how lower Skyways would work. Would they have to be above roads/empty space? I assume so as the high ones were to allow building below.
I was thinking more "monorail" height instead of being 30 or so blocks in the sky. It would make for better views and allow for more & easier access to the ground instead of building large zig-zag stairways. We may not even need skyways in urban areas if we go with a subway system, which I like the idea of very much. Maybe we reserve skyways for stretches to suburban outposts and incorporate the side-rail much like we did in BP.

We'd talked briefly when rails were introduced about building a central subway terminal in BP, maybe if we introduce that early on in the game it would allow for some more interesting city planning.

Quote:
I'm ok with declaring "interesting" features (strongholds, nether strongholds, villages) off-limits for resource gathering, but I've very much liked the "no freebies" ethos of LG. So I think restricting supply of those rarities is good. Yes, glowstone looks a bit nicer, but now we can grow pumpkins, then jackolanterns should suffice in most situations. I dunno about a hard "no altering the nether" policy though.
Yeah, I wasn't proposing a no-build policy so much as a no-raping policy wrt glowstone and destroying strongholds for blocks. I'm firmly in the "no freebies" camp as well, but I'd hate to lose the naturally generated strongholds in the nether and overworld just because they're the only source for a particular block.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2011-11-16, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
My final concern is that we become a typical City Council that takes the fun out of the game because of rules about how tall my grass can be and how this can be done and that must be done etc....As long as we all remember, we're here to have fun and enjoy ourselves.
That's not going to happen. At the end of the day we're all going to do our own thing anyways, and I doubt a few well-placed structures early on is going to hinder that.

That said, I would like to be able to plant grass eventually. : )

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-16, 15:12

Think Silk Touch at the enchanting table.

Also, thank you to 709 for starting off the donations with $20.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-11-16, 15:17

My personal policy on glowstone was to harvest all but one block in each deposit. I encourage others to follow the same policy...
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-11-16, 15:31

I think if we have a set and defined list of what would be okay for the "non-raping/free give," and have everything else be "find it the old-fashioned way," that would be what I'd like. Honestly, the two I can really think of for that regard are Glowstone and the Mossy/Cracked Stone Brick. Possibly Nether Brick. That preserves the Nether's light sources, Strongholds, and Nether Strongholds. Those are the three that I would think fit in the "not thoroughly destroy" category, though I could go either way on Nether Strongholds. This leaves diamond, lapis, gold, redstone, etc. as finding on one's own.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
¡Damned!

2011-11-16, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Think Silk Touch at the enchanting table.
I know. I can't wait to be able to harvest red mushroom blocks.

I was thinking more the tall grass type instead of grass block, but maybe Silk Touch will work on tall grass as well?

So it goes.
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-11-16, 15:53

Re: planting grass - have you tried using bonemeal on a grass block yet?
¡Damned!

2011-11-16, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Re: planting grass - have you tried using bonemeal on a grass block yet?
Erm... holy cow. I think that I did do that before. Grows flowers and grass, right? I just forgot. :/

Quote:
My personal policy on glowstone was to harvest all but one block in each deposit. I encourage others to follow the same policy...
Does Glowstone regenerate? That would be awesome if so. It's a crystal, so it would make some sense. Maybe I just didn't know that either.

Or wait, that doesn't make sense. If that worked we'd have glowstone farms in the Nether. : ) That might be worth a suggestion to jeb though.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2011-11-16 at 16:09.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-16, 16:01

Quote:
I know. I can't wait to be able to harvest red mushroom blocks.

I was thinking more the tall grass type instead of grass block, but maybe Silk Touch will work on tall grass as well?
It doesn't. I just tried it for you. Bonemeal is your best way. (Don't ask how I was able to try. )
¡Damned!

2011-11-16, 17:50

So as an Op you can give yourself enchanted wares too? God, MC must be a complete bore for you. :P
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-11-16, 17:55

T lives for sending me duckens ;D

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-16, 18:00

Quote:
So as an Op you can give yourself enchanted wares too? God, MC must be a complete bore for you. :P
I don't think so, but I did write my own server-side program that allows you to edit a player's inventory and XP level. So, in theory, one (where "one" is me or turtle) could mash a player's level over 9000 and then just keep trying enchantments until the "right" one appears.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.