Apple Watch 9 + watchOS 10
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2023-09-12, 12:14

Apple Watch 9
  • s9 chip w/30% faster GPU, 4 core Neural Engine 2x faster
  • 18-hr battery life
  • Edge-to-Edge always on display, plus higher brightness and darker lighting (2000 nits down to 1 nit)
  • Siri requests now processed on device, don't have to go to cloud
  • access health data with Siri requests
  • new DoubleTap gesture to do things when one hand is busy (can tap thumb+finger to do things like answer calls, take pics, pause alarm, etc - handled by the s9 on the watch 9
  • new colors are: pink aluminium, product RED, starlight, midnight, silver. Stainless steel in gold, silver, graphite.
  • phasing out leather from new products ; introducing a new FineWoven material for bands
  • new Precision Finding
  • better HomePod integration
  • $399

Apple Watch Ultra 2
  • 3000 nits brightness
  • new Modular Ultra face that can show things like altitude
  • new Night Mode via the ambient light sensor
  • new cycling accessories supported, a Depth app for tracking dives
  • 36 hours on a single charge and 72 on low-power mode
  • new band colors
  • $799

Misc
  • proud of their carbon neutrality on all models (depending on brands)
  • Available Sep 22

watchOS 10
  • (pending more announce)

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder

Last edited by Capella : 2023-09-12 at 12:35.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-09-12, 14:37

Still only 18 hour battery life? Apple really needs to work on that!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-09-12, 14:57

3,000 nits brightness sounds very nice. Probably more than most people need, and makes the Ultra more useful in extreme environments.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-09-13, 08:32

What is really interesting to me is that the price different between the regular Watch and Ultra is only $50 difference in the two.

This is my pricing with the veteran's discount. I can see why some might not want the largest screen, but for $50 more it only makes sense to get the Ultra for me.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-09-13, 11:35

I like the new gestures. That's sci-fi. Still, I hope to get a few more years out of my current Apple Watch. I wonder what else they'll be able to do when I'm ready to upgrade? It would be kind of cool to have a larger sci-fi wrist computer!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-09-19, 13:51

Man, getting used to the changes in watchOS 10 is painful. So many gestures I'm used to (like control panel) are moved. I'm still getting used to it and not sure I like it. I liked being able to swipe up for control panel. I used it all the time. Many times with my nose because my other hand was full. Now I have to push the button that is near impossible to push with my chin.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-16, 15:25

Apple killing Blood Oxygen sensor

This is interesting. If I bought the Watch and it is crippled after the fact then that brings up class action from buyers for the change. If they only kill it for future Watches then they can at least advertise that change going forward.

Of course, Apple is hoping it can do something else instead and that this disabling of the feature is a "Plan B" option if they can't achieve the same results of not violating a patent while still gathering the data.

I would be REALLY pissed if I bought an Ultra 2 and that was disabled. I don't "need" my O2 sats, but it is nice to have for post workout and "general" levels. Nevermind the overnight monitoring factor.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-16, 20:13

It's not like Apple has much choice here, they either take it out, or cannot sell some versions of the watch in the US. They likely have to remove the physical hardware for the feature going forward too, at least on ones sold in the US.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-01-17, 02:10

So are the current batch good until they die? Might be time to upgrade??

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-17, 08:50

The fact that Apple is talking about nerfing the Series 9 and Ultra 2 makes me think any upgrades should go to the 8 or original Ultra. Those aren't on the chopping block.

Really though, that is if you "need" or "really want" O2 sats. I don't need them but fall into the really want category. I imagine those with COPD or other cardiovascular issues would really want to have that logged.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2024-01-17, 09:51

Speaking of the Ultra (which is an amazing watch), I'm *kinda* in the market for a new band. Must be sweat resistant. I have the Trail Loop band and love it but can't workout in it because the sweat soaks it. I have an old silicone band and it works, but it's meh. I'd like something that could replace both and look good. Was looking at the Nomad Rugged Band. Anyone use that one or have any other recommendations?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2024-01-17, 10:31

I'm amazed it came to them dropping the blood oxygen stuff. Masimo must have asked for a truly exorbitant amount of money for the patent rights. TBH, I'm amazed Apple didn't just buy the company outright to make this go away. Are they shareholder or privately owned? Maybe the existing owners wouldn't sell?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-17, 11:16

I was thinking the same about licensing on this. Clearly Masimo hold all the cards on this one.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-17, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I'm amazed it came to them dropping the blood oxygen stuff. Masimo must have asked for a truly exorbitant amount of money for the patent rights. TBH, I'm amazed Apple didn't just buy the company outright to make this go away. Are they shareholder or privately owned? Maybe the existing owners wouldn't sell?
They are a large company that sells medical technology to hospitals, not a patient troll looking for cash. Masimo tired to work with them, when Apple didn’t like the licence deal they poached employees and stole the tech, simple as that. That was the gist of the trial from what I read.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-17, 14:25

Yeah, Masimo is big... but I would have assumed they would come up with a royalty plan or something like that. As much as Apple would hate that, it would be good for the short term until they figure out how to accomplish the same without violating a patent.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2024-01-17, 16:38

I know they're a "large company" but Apple is The Largest, with giant piles of cash in the order of many nation-states. For Apple not to eventually pay (or just buy the whole damn thing) and go the route of cutting features the ask must have been truly enormous.

I'm not saying Apple were ever in the right, just that they have the resources to make stuff like this go away long before they cut features they've already advertised.

I looked up the numbers. Masimo's Market cap is $6.8 billion and have about $750 million available in cash - a lot of money. Apple have a market cap of $2.2 trillion and $166 billion in cash reserves. That's a fair percentage, I guess, to buy the thing outright, but by no means impossible.* I mean hell, people were talking about Apple just buying Disney.

* = And, of course, they could immediately sell the profitable business selling medical devices but sans the crucial patents for almost as much as they spent on it anyway...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-17, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I'm not saying Apple were ever in the right, just that they have the resources to make stuff like this go away long before they cut features they've already advertised.
That only works if they are for sale. All the owners/shareholders have to say is, "nope" and it doesn't matter how much money Apple has.

Buying a company like that likely was never in the plans. From what came out in the trial Apple wanted it to be a shared project, but something must have happened that lead to the employee poaching, which is way cheaper. Apple most likely asked the lawyers, they said "go for it" and so Apple did. They made a gamble and it slapped them in the face.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-18, 16:45

Newly disabled Watches going on sale again soon. I'm curious how this will completely settle out. Buyout, payoff, IP royalties?

With Apple's pocketbooks I'm sure they can come up with another way to calculate O2 Sat from blood without violating the patent. Maybe they will when they figure out the unicorn of sugar levels too.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2024-01-18, 18:48

I would love to see some level of blood pressure measurement be implemented.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2024-01-18, 19:18

I'm really surprised this actually got to this point where they had to actually disable this feature.

I'm sure there was a dollar amount shown to Masimo by Apple, which clearly wasn't enough for Masimo to settle.

The bigger patent question is still there there. Like how does what Apple does on the implementation infringe? Patents are just stupid.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-18, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Patents are just stupid.
I would argue that patents are not stupid.

Our patent system is stupid.

Apple has been dealing with patent trolls for years, and some of those trolls seek hundreds of millions for something that exists only on paper.

Patents should be granted only to functioning devices/items that are actively being sold. Patents on paper only should not be permitted. File a patent and you have five years to produce a functioning product or your patent becomes part of the public domain.

In this case, it appears that Apple used patented tech, but I would be curious if the implementation is the same or if Apple came up with their own (similar) solution. I'm not smart enough to know, but I suspect they did, because the other guy came out and said that Apple's solution was bad and didn't work. Not a very good statement to make about your "patented" technology.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-18, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
ase, it appears that Apple used patented tech, but I would be curious if the implementation is the same or if Apple came up with their own (similar) solution. I'm not smart enough to know, but I suspect they did, because the other guy came out and said that Apple's solution was bad and didn't work. Not a very good statement to make about your "patented" technology.
Not exactly, as noted earlier Apple poached employees from the company to copy the tech after a co-production deal fell through (they say Apple pulled out before poaching the employees). This is no patent troll, they very successfully sell the tech to hospitals all over the world in the form of medical testing equipment. I never read anything where they said Apple's copy didn't work. Where did you get that from? From the articles I've read it was a slam dunk case against Apple.