User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

A Sirius Satellite Radio Ipod

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
A Sirius Satellite Radio Ipod
bigtex

2005-01-29, 01:24

With this report I am trying to predict 3 things.

#1 apple computer is developing a satellite radio ipod

#2 apple, Seagate, Texas Instruments, and Sirius are all involved.

#3 There will be a major increase in subscribers when Howard Stern
broadcasts exclusively with Sirius radio. (field Research included)

Briefly: iPod mini, 5G iPod, PowerBooks
January 21, 2005 - Apple is close to finishing up work on the next revision of its iPod mini, Think Secret sources reveal. Also currently in development is Apple's fifth-generation iPod.

The next iPod mini, code-named Q22B and referred to as Osiris inside Apple, will sport a higher capacity hard drive, very likely 5GB. Sources speculate that Apple will tap Seagate for the part, abandoning current iPod mini drive supplier Hitatchi for the time being. Hitatchi's one-inch hard drive currently tops out at 4GB, although 8GB and 10GB versions are due for release later this year and may very well find their way into a future iPod mini.

Other changes arriving with the next Pod mini are less clear, although its updated firmware may bring with it new functionality. The form factor is expected to remain the same, but Apple may add or change the colors that it offers.

While Apple is expected to finish the next iPod mini in early February, it could take more than a month before Apple announces and rolls the product out.

5G iPod

Information pertaining to Apple's fifth-generation iPod is extremely scarce as Apple has gone to extraordinary measures to protect the confidentiality of its cash cow music player. The 5G iPod, which Think Secret doesn't expect will appear until the middle of the year at the earliest, will move away from the iconic white form factor towards a more silver enclosure that matches the Mac mini, PowerBook, and Power Mac products, sources say.

Apple is expected to tap Toshiba for the company's new 80GB 1.8-inch hard drive when it becomes available later this year, although more appealing is the single-platter 40GB hard drive Toshiba is also developing. Current 40GB iPods use a Toshiba drive with two 20GB platters, which accounts for that model's added heft compared to the 20GB iPod. A single-platter 40GB drive will enable a 5G iPod to be as thin as today's 20GB model.

PowerBooks

Channel supply of current PowerBook G4 models is completely dry, sources say, leading Think Secret to believe that the updated models, reported earlier this month, will probably arrive in a quiet announcement on Tuesday, January 25 or, at the latest, February 2.

The new models will boost the PowerBook G4 line from 1.33/1.5GHz to 1.5/1.67GHz. Other changes include faster hard drives, more video memory at the high end, and Bluetooth 2.0. See our January 10 report for more details.

Return to main page

Osiris, Asar

From the hieroglyphic texts of all periods of the dynastic history of Egypt we learn that the god of the dead, par excellence, was the god, whom the Egyptians called by a name which was commonly known to us as "Osiris." The oldest and simplest form of the name is written by means of two hieroglyphics, the first of which represents a "throne" and the other an "eye," but the exact meaning attached to the combination of the two pictures by those who first used them to express the name of the god, and the signification of the name in the minds of those who invented it cannot be said. In the late dynastic period the first syllable of the name appears to have been pronounced Aus or US, and by punning it was made to have the meaning of the word usr, "strength of the Sun-god Ra. This meaning may very well have suited their conception of the god Osiris, but it cannot be accepted as the correct signification of the name. For similar reasons the suggestion that the name AS-ar is connected with the Egyptian word for "prince," or "chief," ser, cannot be entertained. It is probable that the second hieroglyphic in the name As-ar is to be understood as referring to the great Eye of Heaven, i.e., Ra, but the connection of the first with it is not clear, as we have no means of knowing what attributes were assigned to the god by his earliest worshippers the difficulty is hardly likely to be cleared up. The throne or seat, is the first sign in the name of As-t, who is the female counterpart of Osiris, and it is very probable that originally the same conception underlay both names. It is useless to argue that, because the dynastic Egyptians at a late period of their history substituted the disk of Ra, for the god hymns in which they identified him as the source of light and as Ra, therefore As-ar, and because they addressed to the god hymns in which the priests resorted to whenever they attempted to find etymologies for the names of their gods.

In comparatively late time Osiris was called Un-nefer, in religious and mythological texts, and the priests {like modern Egyptologists} tried to explain the name. The writer of a hymn quoted by Dr. Brugsch derived the word from un, "to open, to appear, to make manifest," and neferu, "good things," and when he wrote, "thy beauty {or goodness} "maketh itself manifest in thy person to rouse the gods to life in "thy name Un-nefer," it is clear that he was only making a play of words on the name "Un-nefer' ; and again when he wrote, "Thou comest as the strength {usr} of Ra in thy name of Asar than to afford a trustworthy derivations of the name of Osiris. We may note in passing that modern derivation and explanations of the name Un-nefer are equally unsatisfactory. The truth of the matter seems to be that the ancient Egyptians knew just as little about the original meaning of the name As-ar as we do, and that had no better means of obtaining information about it than we have.

Passing now to the consideration of the original charcterteristics and attributes of Osiris we find that the oldest religious texts known to us refer to him as the great god of the dead, and throughout them it is tacitly assumed that the reader will understand that he once possessed human form and lived upon earth, and that by means of some unusual power or powers he was able to bestow upon himself after the death a new life which he lived in a region over which he ruled as king, and into which he was believed to be willing to admit all such as had lived a good and correct life upon earth, and had been buried with the appropriate ceremonies under the protection of certain amulets, and with proper recital of certain "divine words" and words of power. The worship of Osiris is, however, very much older than these views, which is clear, could only belong to a people who had advanced to a comparatively high state of civilization and mental development.

The oldest authorities for the religious views of the ancient Egyptians are the "Pyramid Texts," which are known to us from copies made in the IVth, Vth and VIth Dynasties, that is to say, in the remote time the period of their highest development ; even at this remote time the priests of Annu had composed a system of theology which was supported by the authority of the king and his high officials, and there is no doubt that it was based upon older systems of religious thought and belief. What these may have been it is useless to speculate, and all that is certain about the Heliopolitan system is that, while proclaiming the supremacy of their local god Tem or Ra-Tem, its priests took care to include in it as many of the ancient provincial gods as possible, and to adopt, wherever they were able to do so, the ancient beliefs and traditions concerning them. Among such gods Osiris held a very prominent place, in fact he was in respect to the dead and the Underworld what Ra, or Ra-Tem was to the living and to this world, and in some passages he is referred to simply as "god," without the addition of any name. No other god of the Egyptians was ever mentioned or alluded to in this matter, and no other god as any time in Egypt ever occupied exactly the same exalted position in their minds, or was thought to possess his peculiar attributes.

4. Where does the name SIRIUS come from?

“Sirius” is the brightest star in the constellation Canis Major and the Northern Hemisphere. It was named after the ancient Egyptian god Osirus, who was represented pictographically as a dog, giving Sirius its more familiar name: the Dog Star.

I did some field research involving 4 Best buys (3 in Miami Florida, and one in McKinney). Howard Stern was pulled off of the Miami Station WQAM because he was promoting Sirius on his show and they were not an advertiser. In the arbitron ratings WQAM went from 22nd place to 6th place in one 3 month rating period. They pulled Howard Sterns show anyway.

It is my belief that of the 100,000 people that started a Sirius subscription from December 31st to January 24th, the Majority of those were Howard Stern listeners in markets where he can no longer be heard.

Dadeland FL (Store 557)
8450 S Dixie Hwy
Dadeland Station
Miami, FL 33143
Phone: 305-662-7073
Hours: Mon-Sat 10:00am-9:00pm
Sun 11:00am-7:00pm

This store also features:
- Mobile electronics installation
- Large appliances on display
- Professional appliances installation

All full for today, come back tomorrow, but be the first one here.
Radio is 1 on the automated directory

Tropicaire FL (Store 553)
Tropicaire Shopping Center
7751 Bird Road
Miami, FL 33155
Phone: 305-267-9913
Radio is 1 on the automated directory

W. Kendall FL (Store 552)
12495 Sw 88th Street
Miami, FL 33186
Phone: 305-275-8338

Radio is not a sub category, it’s the third choice available

Mckinney TX (Store 196)
1751 North Central Expressway
Suite C
Mckinney, TX 75070-3138
Phone: 972-542-8305

Car audio installation is the third sub category of the
Automated phone directory 3 then 7 then 1 must be pressed

out of stock on the sportster radio
no wait for installation.
Howard Stern is still broadcasting on 105.3 Fm

Not Just Sales...But Solutions

To make customers really happy, you have to do more than give them what they ask for—even if it means redesigning the way you do business.

That's what happened a few years ago in TI's semiconductor business. We switched from selling mostly commodity chips to a solutions approach that is based on customizing products to meet particular customer needs.

It was a change one of our biggest customers was glad to see. Seagate Technology, the leader in hard disk drives, insists that its suppliers not only meet product specs, but also take part in the development process. We've responded by assigning TI engineers to work daily at Seagate's design centers. It's a productive relationship that works for both of us!

TI'S LATEST COLOR SCREEN AUDIO JUKEBOX REFERENCE DESIGN HITS SWEET SPOT FOR PRICE, BATTERY LIFE AND FEATURE SET

Overview

Comprehensive, Ready-to-Use Design Supports JPEG, MPEG-4 Video, Audio Time-Scaling, USB Peer-to-Peer Transfers and DRM Technologies

DALLAS, (November 29, 2004) - Helping portable digital audio manufacturers add functionality and reduce retail prices, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE:TXN) today announced the availability of its most recent portable audio-focused reference design. The latest in a series of portable entertainment reference designs, the new production-ready design provides a complete hardware and software solution based on a 1 inch hard disk drive (HDD) with a capacity of 5 GB, that supports not only music but JPEG and MPEG-4 as well, enabling consumers to carry all of their digital music and photos with them wherever they go at a price they can afford. (See www.ti.com/portableaudio6.)

Built around one of TI's advanced Digital Audio digital signal processors (DSP) and analog technology, the turnkey design enables accelerated development of portable audio jukeboxes under $250 retail that can operate for 15 hours on a single battery charge. The design enables manufacturers to combine audio and imaging on a color LCD screen, as well as offers QCIF resolution video playback, all in a form factor that is small enough and light enough to fit in a shirt pocket. In addition, the programmable platform enables OEMs to accommodate changing multimedia standards in software without requiring product redesign.

"The portable jukebox compressed audio player market has been reinvigorated by 1 inch HDDs," said Susan Kevorkian, senior analyst with IDC's Consumer Markets group. "Now, device manufacturers can offer exceptionally portable form factors, with 5 GB storage capacity, digital photo support and color displays, a winning combination for many music consumers." According to IDC's most recent compressed audio player market forecast entitled "Worldwide Compressed Audio Player 2004-2008 Forecast: MP3 Reaches Far and Wide" (IDC#31811, August 2004), portable jukeboxes will have a 57 percent worldwide compound annual growth rate during the forecast period.

The power-efficient, high performance DSP supports real-time processing of audio files and DRM technology simultaneously, while providing enough headroom for OEMs to differentiate their products with enhanced functionality. The new reference design also includes TI analog and power management technology and offers broad support for a variety of features and functionality, including:
• Complete driver and API code to support a Seagate 1 inch 5 GB drive
• MPEG-4 playback
• JPEG decoding with simultaneous audio decode for "Music Slideshows"
• USB 2.0 device support, enabling easy connection to computers, and USB host support, enabling file sharing and image transfers directly between portable products
• High-quality time-scale modification (TSM) algorithm, enabling the playback of recorded sound at up to twice the speed, or slowing playback down to half the speed while maintaining normal pitch
• Color LCD and extensive multi-language support with customizable user interfaces
• Support for Microsoft´s Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology
• Power optimized for long MP3 playback time - up to 15 hours on a single charge of the built-in Lithium-Ion

battery
• A flexible DSP solution, allowing OEMs to add post-processing or converge other new types of functionality into portable digital audio players
• Integrated FM-tuner with auto scan
• Highly optimized audio track and database caching to ease user content management and navigation
• All major digital audio algorithms, including Windows Media Audio (WMA) encode and decode, MP3 and voice recording, as well as a built-in FM receiver

"Today's portable entertainment devices must fit the consumer's lifestyle, as well as protect the needs of content owners," says Chris Schairbaum, worldwide manager of TI's Portable Audio and Infotainment business. "By supporting USB host, image and video decode, and DRM technology, TI offers manufacturers the essential tools they need to accommodate the changing digital entertainment market."

TI's new portable audio player reference design and complete manufacturing kit are available today from TI and Third Party Partners. MPEG-4, WMA encode, DRM and USB host support will be available in the first quarter of 2005. Local customization support is available worldwide from regional TI design partners.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-29, 01:31

Doesn't Sirius have a deal with Msft? I thought that XM would be a more likely choice for Apple. (no I did not read the whole post... DAMN!)
bigtex

2005-01-29, 01:36

XM has the delphi MyFi already going for $350. I don't think Msft is in the
personnal audio player market, but if you got some leads post them on this thread. I think Sirius is hot to get a portable player and I don't think that the ITunes music store is competing with the content on Sirius. Most analists list apple and Sirius as competetors. That's similar to comparing FM to compact disks. They will work harmoniously. The key to the whole article is the nickname for the new Ipod "Osiris".
nmkramer

2005-01-29, 01:41

I now know more about Egyptian mythology than I did 20 minutes ago-- when, sadly, I began reading this post. It elicits speculation well enough ... but it just needs editing.

Now, watch, someone will quote it in its entirety.

I don't wanna go on a rant here but America's foreign policy makes about as much sense as Beowolf having sex with Robert Fulton at the first battle of Antetum. I mean when a neo-conservative defenstrates it's like Raskalnakov filibuster dioxymonohydrostinate.
Akumulator

2005-01-29, 01:41

I've also heard that portable satellite radio sucks. It's fine when you're outdoors and within range of the satellite, but it's easy to get out of range. I don't know... I don't think it's the time for Apple to do this.

Also.....
XM-Sirius Merger?
gjas15

2005-01-29, 01:49

Why would Apple choose the company that has roughly 1/8th the subscribers of the other 350,000(sirius) vs 2,000,000(xm). Where is the business sense in that? and the more expensive service to boot? $12.95 vs $9.95? unless the portables have some mega amplified antenna theres no way they could work indoors... with my skifi radio, just going through one wall knocks the signal down to 50%

It seems to me there are way to many cons for the pros of this to outweigh. Would you really want your ipod skipping if you went next to a tall building? Seems to go against that whole "ease of use" thing apple is going for.
wrinkles

2005-01-29, 02:30

What's up with the cut and paste filibuster. How about a link or three next time?
ZogDog

2005-01-29, 02:40

Look at the size of that post! I skimmed and still didn't understand the majority of the mumbling and grumbling. Sounds like there is a possibility for this to happen, and being as this is a rumor section, I'd try to make the post desirable to read, heck even prophetic, but wooh...

Anyway, I would never subscribe to any satellite radio service on any iPod or other tech toy. Why? Because that's why I have an iPod, to listen to the songs I have already paid for. I dislike music subscription services, like Napster, to me it makes zero sense. I want to own the music. If I want to have random streaming music, I turn on the good ole FM radio and stream all I want for free.

Apple to include Satellite? I hope not, I don't think it would be good business for them... but to have a feature where you could BUY the songs you hear on the radio, which is on your iPod, now THAT is genious! As you're listening to the song, you hit the middle buy... err middle button and buy it. Now THAT would be cool. Will it happen? I doubt an iPod will come with that type of technolgy...

..::| www.zogdog.com |::..
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-01-29, 10:40

http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...142#post159091

Well, I said this the other day . Do I get any credit for that?
Random Hero

2005-01-29, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude
http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...142#post159091

Well, I said this the other day . Do I get any credit for that?
Nope. Sorry.
bigtex

2005-01-29, 14:35

But Karmazin shot down the report Wednesday morning, telling industry analysts during an earnings conference call that he has not met with either the CEO or chairman of XM, and that he had "no idea" where the rumor originated. Later in the call, he said antitrust approval for such a merger would be "difficult" to get.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-29, 14:43

dude, it is okay to copy/paste... but people want to see the context as well, so it is always a good idea to post the link.

And ya'll should check out the related threads:
Lohan's iPod Radio

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
JiGGm

2005-02-04, 11:19

Quote:
Why would Apple choose the company that has roughly 1/8th the subscribers of the other 350,000(sirius) vs 2,000,000(xm). Where is the business sense in that? and the more expensive service to boot? $12.95 vs $9.95? unless the portables have some mega amplified antenna theres no way they could work indoors... with my skifi radio, just going through one wall knocks the signal down to 50%
Because, they're used to 2-3% of the market share, Apple must CONVERT people, besides, Shady has a sirius station, i'd be stoked.
bigtex

2005-02-11, 22:34

Think about it. If the two groups (sirius & apple) weren't interested in creating an Ipod that had satalite capabilites, then why did they even have a f*kn meeting?!

Sirius' Karmazin Talks With Apple On Adding Service To iPod
February 9, 2005: 11:37 a.m. EST

-

NEW YORK -(Dow Jones)- Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. (SIRI) Chief Executive Mel Karmazin said he has had discussions with Apple Computer Inc. (AAPL) Chief Executive Steve Jobs about the possibility of adding satellite-radio service to iPods.

At this stage, with the ability to store 5,000 songs on iPod, Apple doesn't see the need to add radio, Karmazin told investors and analysts at McGraw Hill's 2005 Media Summit Wednesday. Karmazin declined to elaborate on his discussions with Jobs.

Karmazin said he believes that adding satellite radio would be an enhancement to Mp3s and other portable music devices. He likens the possibility to Sony Corp.'s (SNE) Walkman, a gadget whose popularity soared when radio was added.

Sirius is likely to launch its own portable satellite-radio device in time for this year's holiday season, Karmazin said. Rival XM Satellite Radio (XMSR), a company one year older Sirius, has already launched such a gadget.

Although portable devices for satellite radio may boost revenue, Karmazin expects the addition of the service to automobiles will be the biggest source of growth.

-By Janet Whitman, Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-5248.
Dow Jones Newswires 02-09-05 1137ET Copyright (C) 2005 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
http://money.cnn.com/services/ticker...4_FORTUNE5.htm
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-02-11, 22:44

You know what... With world Wifi hotspots springing up all over the place particularly in a couple of capitals where it is now 100% free coverage I don't think satellite radio at the price it costs will ever take off.

None of the shows are live anymore, so with higher bandwidth mobile devices they might as well burst download each 20 min segment of a show when in a Wifi area (whilst coverage is patchy) and let you go on your way...

I think it is the hugest white elephant going and will become something which is free in a decade, almost a give away... Why would you want it if we have (as I believe we will) a universal global Wifi network in about 5 - 10 years.

As for Apple putting it in an iPod. No way. Griffin might sell a satellite radio cludge but that's about it.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt