User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple schedules "major event" for January 26, 2010...


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple schedules "major event" for January 26, 2010...
Page 1 of 43 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2009-12-23, 19:58

...so says AppleInsider, right here.

Quote:
Apple has reportedly scheduled a media event at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco on Tuesday Jan. 26, 2010, for a major product announcement.

Citing inside sources, the Financial Times said Wednesday evening that Apple has rented the stage for "several days" at the end of January. Officials with Apple and the center declined to comment.Apple has reportedly scheduled a media event at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco on Tuesday Jan. 26, 2010, for a major product announcement.

Citing inside sources, the Financial Times said Wednesday evening that Apple has rented the stage for "several days" at the end of January. Officials with Apple and the center declined to comment.
First off, that's my birthday. So...yay for January 26. Me, Lucinda Williams and Eddie Van Halen.

Secondly, I didn't put this in the existing "who wants a tablet thread" because this event might be about something else. I don't know what, but you never can tell.

But I think a few things are safe to assume (if you look at my final couple of posts in that "who wants a tablet" thread...or, even quicker, the bullet points in the linked story above).

So...place your bets, and make your predictions!

Could it be new pro towers and notebooks? Along with displays? Those are all due.

Could it be software-oriented? iLife and iWork 2010?

Or could it actually be some sort of tablet thing?

My money is on the last item, but I guess there are other possibilities.

What could it be, if not a tablet? What else would require a standalone media event like this?
 
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
2009-12-23, 20:18

Damn it. I was just going to call and order my MBP tonight!

I know, new ones are probably around the corner, but year end business claim plus a $125 off coupon expires by years end.

Although as you say, it's likely the tablet thing. The CrunchPad is dead and resurrected as the JuJu. From all accounts, it's pretty slick. And while Apple doesn't necessarily need to be first out of the gate (heck, PC tablets came and went), it doesn't hurt to trump anything that might gain traction.

However, I could see a quick update to some hardware in addition to the tablet unveiling. Afterall, this is in essence Apple's MacWorld, on their schedule. It's thankfully pushed back for Apple staff to finally enjoy the holidays for a change. I can't see any other new product that would require a special event. As we've seen lately, hardware upgrades are now simply updated online.
 
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2009-12-23, 20:45

It's definitely a new product, because I can't imagine enough people giving an honest damn over tower updates, and even the notebook stuff will just be the newer processors in the same Unibody enclosures, I'm sure. Are either of those, no matter how strongly you feel about towers and pro notebooks, worth such an event? I doubt it.

The tablet - or something else completely new that we're not even aware of because the "tablet" rumors have been an effective diversion/smokescreen - is about the only thing that makes any sense. All their consumer stuff, including the iPods, have recently been updated. So it can really only be something fresh and unique.

All that other evidence - talk about a January unveiling, developers being asked to create demo versions of their apps to run on larger displays, etc. - points to such a device.

A story currently running at AppleInsider talks about Piper Jaffray analysts (yeah, I know...they're so right about everything all the time, huh? ) are saying 50% chance it's a tablet announcement. Daring, out-on-a-limb positioning...half wrong or half right.

Again, I think I could do this job.

 
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Galt's Gulch
Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2009-12-23, 21:06

Didn't Apple schedule and pre-announce the iPhone software improvements last year to sort of blunt the buzz that Palm was generating with the Pre?

Maybe this is a move to do the same thing to Android. You show off all the zippy new features and take pre-orders starting in what is the usual... March?
 
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
2009-12-23, 21:13

Or finally shipping the iPod Touch with camera.
I could also see a big software announcement surrounding iTunes. There was some talk about it being rolled out as a web application. Plus don't forget about that server farm that Apple is building in North Carolina. Maybe some larger cloud initiative, like MobileMe 3?
 
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2009-12-23, 21:44

It would have to be several of those things combined to warrant a standalone special event, IMO. Would most people really care about those things, to that point? If it's not tablet-related, people are gonna throw stuff.
 
ezkcdude
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
 
2009-12-23, 21:44

Why release a major new product just not in time for the holidays?
 
PB PM
Sneaky Punk
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-12-23, 21:46

You mean, like they do every January?
 
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2009-12-23, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Why release a major new product just not in time for the holidays?
Short answer? Probably because they've not finalized it yet, and that was never their plan (couldn't realistically get it ramped up in time for this Christmas, with design tweaks and so forth?)

And the "Christmas offerings" were all the consumer gear and iPods, updated in September and October.

They're probably still hammering away at things, and probably will be right up to January 25. And then once it's unveiled to the world, the basic design, features, etc., they've bought themselves 3-5 months ramp-up time (and built-in hype/anticipation).

If they unveiled it now (or even a month ago), but didn't have lots of them already made and ready to ship, what would that gain them? They work on their timetable, and, for whatever reason, they feel like late January is the time to unveil things.

Especially if it's going to follow that initial iPhone announcement/release blueprint from 2007...announce the thing at the first of the year, put it on the street six months later. In that middle 5-6 months, you've got time to tweak things, gauge anticipation/demand, build interest, etc.

Hell, Steve could storm into Apple on January 21st and decide he's not happy with any number of things and demand a boatload of changes before the January 26th event. It's not unheard of...

 
ezkcdude
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
 
2009-12-23, 22:03

Yeah, I can definitely see that happening. I'm still not sold on this tablet idea, though. After getting a kindle and a droid, I'm all geeked out for a while.
 
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cascadia
 
2009-12-23, 22:09

The tablet makes the most sense (!!!), I think. It's not going to be the iPhone, because that would kill current iPhone sales if it wasn't available right away (and it won't be). It could be a Mac, I suppose, but most of the Mac designs are still pretty new -- the only one that's really going to be due for a redesign, time-wise, is the MacBook Air.

Will they demo/launch iWork '10 and iLife '10? I mean, they have to do that sometime, right?

i won't let you hurt my planet / and i won't let you hurt my friends
 
scratt
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: M-F: Thailand Weekends : F1 2010 - Various Tracks!
Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-12-23, 22:30

Select developers have allegedly been told to make sure that their apps use "full screen", and not be limited to the normal iPod / iPhone screen resolutions.

That suggests one of two things :

1. Higher res iPhone / iPod. (Which logic dictates we will have in 2010 anyway.)
or 2. Tablet.

I am still not sure which I believe more, although I tend to find iLounge's info makes sense.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
 
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Galt's Gulch
Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2009-12-23, 23:24

There is also talk on several other tech sites about Apple launching a subscription media service that would be utilized through perhaps the next generation of an Apple TV type device.
 
Banana
is the next Chiquita
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
 
2009-12-23, 23:49

I'm probably dense and forgetting the relevant reasons but...


If Apple's organizing a "major event", then why the hell did they decide to not do it at MacWorld?

The reasons I seem to remember being given was that Apple was basically tired of living up to hype and coming out with disappointed/angry fanbois who held Apple to their delusion of grandeur and now this?

I suppose it may just have been coincidental that they were ready to show it off at around same time but...
 
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
2009-12-24, 00:01

I thought the reasoning had more to do with costs and timing (rushing to get stuff out during holidays right after New Years).
But then this years MW is in Feb and this supposed event is also in San Fran.
 
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cascadia
 
2009-12-24, 00:17

Hosting a media event on their own is still cheaper than attending MacWorld, with a booth and all.
 
Brad
Selfish Heathen
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Zone of Pain
 
2009-12-24, 00:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Hosting a media event on their own is still cheaper than attending MacWorld, with a booth and all.
Way cheaper, I would think, plus is gives Apple far better control over things like security and who's in the audience.
 
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2009-12-24, 00:53

That's very true. It's probably more about control, doing things on their timeline, cost savings/better bang-for-the-buck., etc.
 
Jason
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
 
2009-12-24, 01:08

I still find this whole never-ending saga of the Tablet device somewhat mystifying. Wouldn't it just be a glorified iPhone?
Still have trouble believing there is any real market for a tablet.
 
PB PM
Sneaky Punk
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-12-24, 02:55

I agree, a Tablet will be a nich within a nich, it just wont sell in big numbers unless they make it less than $800.
 
joveblue
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne
 
2009-12-24, 03:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
First off, that's my birthday. So...yay for January 26. Me, Lucinda Williams and Eddie Van Halen.
It's also Australia Day


Being a tablet skeptic, I'm betting on a software-focused event (iLife, iWork, MobileMe), possibly with some AppleTV/iTunes-related stuff.

One more thing... new MacBook Air...


This is basically a replacement for their regular MacWorld stuff. While Mac hardware has mostly been silent upgrades, they need an event to demo all the cool new software features.
 
Brave Ulysses
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
 
2009-12-24, 07:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Way cheaper, I would think, plus is gives Apple far better control over things like security and who's in the audience.
For a company making a billion dollars plus a quarter, attending a single trade show IN THEIR OWN BACKYARD is negligible. In fact, I would guess the cost was really pathetically low to Apple, since IDG paid more a majority of the actual show costs/security/rental/etc. Apple renting out the Yueba Buena Center and doing it on their own just for a 2 hour speech ain't cheap either. Apple always had complete control over the keynote anyways. They always got their way and I don't remember any security breaches from the actual show.... ever.

For whatever the reason, Apple didn't want to deal with IDG and MacWorld anymore. But cost certainly wasn't the issue. It probably had more to do with having a locked down date and expectations. But it is a pretty big slap in the face if they schedule their own event a week before Macworld and just across the street from where MacWorld is held.
 
scratt
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: M-F: Thailand Weekends : F1 2010 - Various Tracks!
Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-12-24, 08:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
..if they schedule their own event a week before Macworld and just across the street from where MacWorld is held.
I think it's as simple as that. Apple want to do their announcements when it suits them. Down to the exact hour and day, and not be tied to a show date.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
 
jcoley2
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Darien CT
Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2009-12-24, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
The tablet makes the most sense (!!!)
+1 Long overdue. In fact, if it not a tablet, I suspect the market will look dimly on the stock price.
 
chucker
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: near Bremen, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-12-24, 08:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Will they demo/launch iWork '10 and iLife '10? I mean, they have to do that sometime, right?
Well, their new cycle seems to be 18 months, so perhaps there won't be a '10, but a '11, released mid-2010.
 
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
 
2009-12-24, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2 View Post
+1 Long overdue. In fact, if it not a tablet, I suspect the market will look dimly on the stock price.
This is what I'm worried about more than anything. Apple doesn't have to release a tablet, they've never said word one about working on one, but if they don't come out with it, they must be overvalued even though yesterday everyone was saying AAPL was undervalued since iTablet revenues hadn't been factored into the price.
 
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2009-12-24, 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2 View Post
+1 Long overdue. In fact, if it not a tablet, I suspect the market will look dimly on the stock price.
This is what I hate about all this stuff. Apple has never copped to working on a tablet. Not once. They owe nothing on that front. It's just been rumors, speculation, piecing things together, etc. on the part of everyone except Apple.

So I hate that if they never came out with something that they never said they were working on, their stock - and "reputation" - somehow takes a hit in the eyes of Wall Street, the press, tech pundits, fanboys and users.



Doesn't seem quite fair.

Unlike a few other tech companies *ahem* who crow about "something we're working on" (going so far as to "unveil" it a year or two out) and never actually do anything with it, or bring it to market, Apple is consistently silent and non-commital in their approach. If they don't come out with a tablet (or anything else we'd like them to: netbook, camera, GPS module, new iPod socks, etc.), that's totally their decision. We were never promised anything by them, yet when they "fail to deliver" everyone loses their minds and they take an undeserved hit.

Hell, they might've never planned on making a tablet, but now they kinda have to because they know the grief and hit they'll be in for if they don't.

"Guys, we need to hold off on those towers and new pro notebooks. I know they were slated for early 2010, but people won't STFU about this tablet, so I've got Jonny roughing up some prototypes and we're gonna try to get something out the door by January or February because that's what we're supposed to be working on, according to the entire universe. Assholes."

 
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
 
2009-12-24, 09:51

Unfortunately, I believe if Apple outs a new tablet in January, my hopes for an expandable and affordable Apple Tower will finally go out the window.
 
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cascadia
 
2009-12-24, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Unfortunately, I believe if Apple outs a new tablet in January, my hopes for an expandable and affordable Apple Tower will finally go out the window.
You mean they haven't already?

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but expandability really isn't Apple's...thing. The original Mac required a special screwdriver to open, and things haven't really improved since then. Apple makes the Mac Pro as a concession to the needs of their professional users, but other than that they're all consumer, and Apple doesn't think the average consumer wants to open up their computer. And they're right.

Besides, I really can't see Apple expanding their desktop line any further. Not in an increasingly notebook-focused world. Hell, they're probably dying to kill off the Mac mini. (If/when the MacBook hits $799...)

i won't let you hurt my planet / and i won't let you hurt my friends
 
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
 
2009-12-24, 10:31

Uh, I'm not the n00b you're looking for.

If a tablet comes out that cannot be memory expanded or battery changed (we all know it won't have a user-swappable battery), then yes, the days of welded-shut Macs will have returned in full force.
 
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Page 1 of 43 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last

Closed

Forum Jump
Thread Tools
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple 09/09/09 "Rock & Roll" event official Robo Speculation and Rumors 169 2009-09-09 13:20
"The Beat Goes On" event and Kerouac - coincidence LenrdZelig General Discussion 10 2007-09-05 08:05
Apple plans "special event" on Sep. 7 (iPod speculation) vasili Speculation and Rumors 239 2005-09-07 12:43
Apple plans "special event" on Sep. 7 (S.E. banter) pscates2.0 Speculation and Rumors 37 2005-09-05 22:51
"Bad Request Error" at Apple Store "Checkout" ONLY Using Safari SonOfSylvanus Genius Bar 1 2005-01-22 00:48


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:41.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, AppleNova