Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2019-06-03, 13:03

iOS 13 news
  • focused on increased performance
  • dark mode formally announced
  • brief discussion of app changes to things like Notes - look and feel, etc
  • major Reminder overhauls for smart lists, tagging people, marking it tied to places
  • new views in Photos, including Months or Years to showcase parts of your library and it's dynamic based off of context (if you always go to a certain event, a person's birthday, etc)
  • updates to handing off to HomePod, CarPlay, etc
  • mentioning of other features like separate iCloud accounts, low data mode, etc

Overall theme: more hammering on privacy here too!

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2019-06-03, 13:20

Holy fuck iOS is getting set up into iPad OS. Better multitasking, side by side, etc etc, all sorts of stuff.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-03, 14:42

So did they talk compatibility during the keynote? I was working so only able to watch from the corner of my eye. I don't recall hearing what devices were losing support if any.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-06-03, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So did they talk compatibility during the keynote? I was working so only able to watch from the corner of my eye. I don't recall hearing what devices were losing support if any.
No, I don't think that was mentioned at all.

Looks like it starts at A9. They're dropping two generations at once. Interesting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-03, 15:02

Yeah, I heard A9 for the new emoji things so I kinda assumed that. This really sucks for those loving small phones like the SE. Heck, I have to see if my 7 is still compatible with that! I forgot what chip is in it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-03, 15:17

It may require an A9 for the Memoji thing, but they said nothing of the cutoff for the rest of the OS. It is possible they'll dump a bunch of stuff, or it may simply be that they are just qualifying the fancy new Memoji stuff.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-06-03, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Yeah, I heard A9 for the new emoji things so I kinda assumed that. This really sucks for those loving small phones like the SE. Heck, I have to see if my 7 is still compatible with that! I forgot what chip is in it.
The SE has an A9. The 7 has an A10.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-03, 15:44

If that's the case then they didn't drop support for any devices it sounds like.

Edit: iOS 13 isn't coming to the iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 or iPad Air

chucker

2019-06-03, 16:20

They dropped two generations (A7 and A8), actually.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2019-06-03, 23:13

From AnandTech:

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-03, 23:21

That's a pretty reasonable list. It covers the last 5 years, they're all 64-bit, and they all have some form of biometric ID.

And I sure do wish Apple could sort out the iPad naming conventions. Holy cow, what a mess!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-04, 07:55

Yeah, that really does cover a large number of devices still.
¡Damned!

2019-06-04, 08:01

Happy my 6sP made the cut, but it looks like I'll be moving on up soon since next year I'll likely be left out in the cold. #RIPheadphonejack

So it goes.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-06-04, 08:38

They briefly mentioned it, but I'm really hoping they update/improve CarPlay. I absolutely love it, but there is some room for improvement. One very simple addition would being able to have the temperature somewhere on the home screen. Maybe on the side menu above the cellular signal?

I like the addition of a HomeKit Garage Door button. Hopefully that's customized so add door locks or lights maybe?

Did they say they were opening it up more to Third Party apps? I was working so I was in and out of watching.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-06-24, 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
They briefly mentioned it, but I'm really hoping they update/improve CarPlay. I absolutely love it, but there is some room for improvement. One very simple addition would being able to have the temperature somewhere on the home screen. Maybe on the side menu above the cellular signal?

I like the addition of a HomeKit Garage Door button. Hopefully that's customized so add door locks or lights maybe?

Did they say they were opening it up more to Third Party apps? I was working so I was in and out of watching.
Has anyone played around with the CarPlay Beta yet? Thoughts? I was really hoping to have a temperature readout finally but doesn't appears to be in it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-24, 13:09

I haven't messed with the beta yet. Apple did just release it for non-developers to install though. I need my devices too much to let them be testers though. Maybe I'll install it on my wife's phone.

I wouldn't mind the current temp based on my location on the CarPlay display. That would be kinda nice actually.

chucker

2019-06-24, 15:09

This is the same build as last week’s dev beta 2. I strongly recommend against installing it on an important device. Keyboard randomly stops working, Springboard relaunches, entire device gets stuck in a loop where you have to hard-reboot. That’s on top of glitches and other bugs.

It’s got interesting new stuff and I can handle it, but you’d need to be patient with it.

Wait for the next beta.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-24, 15:12

I'm glad you mentioned this. I'm not going to be patient with it and would want to throw my phone against the wall.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-06-24, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Has anyone played around with the CarPlay Beta yet? Thoughts? I was really hoping to have a temperature readout finally but doesn't appears to be in it.
I can't speak too much from personal experience, but a coworker of mine has had the beta installed since the day it was announced. Other than dark mode, the upgraded CarPlay looks like the next best thing about iOS 13. (He has driven our group to lunch a couple of times and we got to see the new beta in action then.) Just the new arrangement of the UI and the ability to see multiple things at once are what caught my eye.

I was tempted to upgrade to the beta just for that, but he gave the same words of warning about poor stability and frequent crashes/restarts.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

2019-06-25, 11:24

I thought Apple said a public beta would come in July, so I'm a bit surprised they bothered shipping one this early when it doesn't seem like they had to.
thebestadvisor

2019-06-25, 15:14

I've heard that iOS 13 only supports iPhone 6s and above and there is no way to install it on previous devices. Is it possible to install iOS13 on iPhone 6? Does anybody know how?
chucker

2019-06-25, 15:32

Yes, it requires an iPhone 6s.

If you're extremely lucky, someone will figure out how to make it work on an iPhone 6 using a jailbreak.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-25, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestadvisor View Post
I've heard that iOS 13 only supports iPhone 6s and above and there is no way to install it on previous devices. Is it possible to install iOS13 on iPhone 6? Does anybody know how?
According to Apple, the iPhone 6 is not compatible and there is no way to make it so. (compatibility list is at the bottom of the page.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Yes, it requires an iPhone 6s.

If you're extremely lucky, someone will figure out how to make it work on an iPhone 6 using a jailbreak.
Not sure I would call that "luck". I would say, "If you're ready for an absolute nightmare, then …"

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-25, 19:28

Yeah, I cannot imagine how frustrating that would be on a 6.