User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

New iMacs!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New iMacs!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-03-19, 08:42

I believe two product announcement days in a row is unprecedented?

These are basically spec bumps to introduce Coffee Lake and Coffee Lake Refresh CPU options, as well as Radeon Vega GPU options.

Notably, there’s no T2*, and they still start with a 5400 RPM hard disk. I read somewhere that there’s no USB-C, but that appears to be wrong; they have two Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C ports, as you’d expect.

*) so either a redesign wasn’t the reason we saw no iMacs in 2018, or they changed their mind and shoved these in just to have something to offer.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-03-19, 08:55

I'm just glad they're back on the speed bump refreshes. It doesn't have to be a whole new design every single time.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-03-19, 09:06

Seems this kills the non-Retina $1,099 option. Hm, the Store app doesn’t seem to show it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-03-19, 10:28

The entry level model is still a 7th gen i3. Kind of sad.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-03-19, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
The entry level model is still a 7th gen i3. Kind of sad.
The entry model is a 7th-gen i5.

The 2019 4K Retina is an 8th-gen i3.

And both of these systems are plenty powerful for their intended audience.
Quagmire
meh

2019-03-19, 13:18

Just ordered one to replace my Late 2013 27" iMac.

-Vega 48
-16 GB of ram
-1 TB SSD
chucker

2019-03-19, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

CPU-wise, those are fine. They really should’ve dropped the HDD option, though.
chucker

2019-03-19, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Just ordered one to replace my Late 2013 27" iMac.

-Vega 48
-16 GB of ram
-1 TB SSD
Given those relatively high-end options, are you sure you don’t want more RAM than that?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-03-19, 13:32

I was actually thinking the same thing about RAM. Aftermarket upgrade options available? I haven't followed iMac ever.
Quagmire
meh

2019-03-19, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Given those relatively high-end options, are you sure you don’t want more RAM than that?
The normal 27" iMac still has user replaceable RAM. Will probably bump it to 32 GB via Crucial or other third party, but wasn't going to pay Apple another $400 on top of the 16 GB upgrade to get 32 GB.

EDIT: You know.... Apple doesn't say how they get to that 16 GB.... If it is 2 x 8 GB sticks or 4 x 4 GB sticks..... I am hoping it is 2 x 8 GB or I might as well have thrown $200 out the window.

EDIT x2: Apple chat says it will be installed 2 x 8GB.

giggity

Last edited by Quagmire : 2019-03-19 at 13:51.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2019-03-19, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

Yes my mistake. It’s not about CPU power alone though. You are paying top dollar for an Apple product and getting a three year old CPU? It’s not like the 7th gen i7 dual core is more expensive per 1000 units than a faster 8th gen quad core i3, which is more powerful and yet more efficient per watt. It’s just Apple being Apple. Gotta use up those old logic boards sitting in a warehouse somehow.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-03-19, 16:42

Quote:
CPU-wise, those are fine. They really should’ve dropped the HDD option, though.
I'd like to see the spinny drives go away, too. Just slap a SATA SSD in there and be done with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
EDIT: You know.... Apple doesn't say how they get to that 16 GB.... If it is 2 x 8 GB sticks or 4 x 4 GB sticks..... I am hoping it is 2 x 8 GB or I might as well have thrown $200 out the window.

EDIT x2: Apple chat says it will be installed 2 x 8GB.
That is correct. Apple leaves 2 available slots in the 27".

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2019-03-19, 16:46

This might be the upgrade for me...

I wonder, is the Vega 48 worth the $450 upgrade? I could get an external eGPU for just a couple hundred more and have a bit more future flexibility. Hmm.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-03-19, 17:31

Very powerful GPU. Is it worth it? Sure, if that's what you need. The eGPU does offer more flexibility should your rendering needs grow in the future. Just another thing you have to babysit. We're not going to be stocking any of those at the start. The 8-core i9, definitely, but the GPU is pretty niche.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2019-03-19, 22:56

Biggest, most profitable, company in the world, and the Mac is for some reason completely starved of any innovation. It really makes no sense to me.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2019-03-19, 23:59

What do you want them to do? Have it make coffee for you? At most they could add Face ID, but that's about it. Let's face it, innovation in the consumer computer space is at a dead crawl and has been for a while. Things get little faster, more efficient per watt, new IO gets added, that's about it. A new case isn't innovative, the designs are to minimalist already (stripped away good features, user upgrades etc). It's not like Apple was going to wait for PCI-E 4.0, USB 3.2 or USB 4 (which is just thunderbolt re-branded) for a minor update.

The one area Apple could have done better is routers/wifi, but they dumped that market, so it is what it is.
Quagmire
meh

2019-03-20, 09:00

FaceID won't happen until they dump the HD's as the T2 chip supposedly won't work with the spinners.

About the only thing I am hoping for is better thermals as I am a bit concerned on how the iMac can handle the 9900K. Given they are still offering normal HD's and the RAM is still accessible, I doubt the cooling design changed much. Was hoping it would gain an iMac Pro like cooling design. But I also read the 9900K ran 10 degrees C cooler than the 8700K in a test. Isn't 1:1 since different chassis design, but that gives me some hope.

giggity
¡Damned!

2019-03-20, 13:44

Quote:
I believe two product announcement days in a row is unprecedented?
I wonder if Apple is going to do this all week, what with the new AirPods (and misc. spring-colored doodads) out today. Updated MacBooks tomorrow? iPod Touch?
chucker

2019-03-20, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I wonder if Apple is going to do this all week, what with the new AirPods (and misc. spring-colored doodads) out today. Updated MacBooks tomorrow? iPod Touch?
lol, I just posted the exact same thing, in swapped order, in another thread

I like this. Sometimes all we need is a bunch of speed bumps, Apple.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-03-20, 15:01

There is still rumor of a new iPod Touch (which is the wrong thing*) this week. Rumor said it would be today, but I can see where "AirPods" and "iPods" could get shuffled about in a leak. Tomorrow, maybe?

* iPod Touch sales are in the tank. However, Apple will not give us the iPod we want. Instead, they will give us the iPod that sells music/apps/shows that are roughly in line with the iPhone. Still, we sell about 2 iPods/month. Not because people don't want iPods, but because what people want is the iPod Nano. Seriously, Apple, they just want a music player. For a company that claims to be all-in on music, they sure haven't got a clue what a music player is any more. Just bring back the Nano, eliminate the home button, make it full screen, Bluetooth, WiFi, and make it run some basic apps (include an SDK so the kids can have a few silly doughnut games on it). Make it $99 and they will sell like hotcakes!

And, no, it will not cut into sales of anything (Watch and iPhone included) other than the tired, nobody-wants-it-anymore iPod Touch. Even at half the price, there is more money to be made with a $99 32GB Nano than the iPod Touch. If I have my customer requests straight, it would sell 5 to 1 over the Touch.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2019-03-20, 19:05

Heck I'd be fine with a screenless iPod shuffle for my car, which is about the only place I wouldn't mind having an iPod. My 3rd Gen Nano has some major software/hardware glitching, would love to replace it. Touch is useless to anyone who already has an iPhone.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-03-21, 11:14

Quote:
Touch is useless to anyone who already has an iPhone.
Exactly. And that's a lot of people.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-03-23, 08:45

I just bought an iPhone SE from Wally World for $69. Best iPod touch out there because I get GPS too! I'm not using it as a phone and not paying for service but still, compared to a Touch I clearly have the better device.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-03-26, 07:29

Woah! That's Great price!!

kiki300

2019-03-26, 14:42

And both of these systems are plenty powerful for their intended audience, which is my prolapsed anus.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-03-26, 15:36

Oh, how wonderful. Audacity findmyiphone origin is super happy power for me! Excited so much at bot's pervasive rendering of uselessness on interwebnet. Please kindly send via Western Union payment for $2397 to my account. Will be looking happily for reply from you as much as possible. Please hurry. Little Abdulahim is very sick and needs a new hart.

Is kiki300 any realtion to Miss Kiki Dee from Just Go With It?

Quagmire
meh

2019-04-02, 14:02

I got my 2019 iMac the other day. Been doing some tests...

- With X-Plane 10 on the same settings as my Late 2013 iMac, I am getting 70 FPS( 35 FPS with those settings in my 2013 iMac) and the i9 running at 4.7 Ghz at 90 C and the Vega 48 running at 79 C with the fan in auto.

- Doing some Cinebench runs..... Going full out the i9 spikes to around 100-110W before being pulled back to a consistent 85W power draw running at 3.8-3.9 Ghz at 82 C with fans on auto. Increasing the fan to 2600 RPM buys another 100 Mhz out of the i9 and runs at 72 C. Limiting Cinebench to 1 thread, the i9 maxes out at 4.7-4.8 Ghz with temps settling around 65 C with fan on auto. Limiting it to 6 threads( to have it mimic the 9600K) sees it running at 4.5 Ghz( over 4.2 Ghz for the 9600K having all 6 cores loaded) and produces a higher score than the 9600K.

As expected, Apple has put a leash on the 9900K. It still is putting out great performance, but not what the chip is truly capable of. I have yet to see it hit its max turbo speed of 5 Ghz( though with a peak of 4.8 Ghz, I can't be mad over 200 Mhz). It does seem to be restricted to 85W's at its max power draw over its rated 95W. Whether that is due to the power supply unable to supply more power to it or a thermal constraint, who knows. But doesn't seem to do much harm in performance as going full out it is maintaining 3.8-4.0 Ghz( depending on fan speed) where when Anandtech limited it to 95W( vs an unrestricted 9900K), 7-8 cores being loaded saw speeds drop to its base clock of 3.6 Ghz. But they did see 5 Ghz where the 9900K in the iMac seems to top out at 4.8 Ghz.

I have 32 GB of ram from OWC arriving tomorrow to bump it to 48 GB of ram.

giggity
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2019-04-02, 23:46

Not too bad. Biggest let down has to be those weak Vega chips, but then if you wanted a gaming machine you wouldn't buy a Mac, so that's a non issue.
Quagmire
meh

2019-04-03, 08:45

Quote:
Not too bad. Biggest let down has to be those weak Vega chips, but then if you wanted a gaming machine you wouldn't buy a Mac, so that's a non issue.
That is certainly true. I wish I could get the 9900K+Vega 64/X, but that would probably still require the iMac Pro's cooling design. But the Vega 48 should be between a 1060 and 1070 so I am happy with that.

giggity
Dave
Ninja Editor

2019-04-03, 13:25

Quote:
Sorta? I don’t have space (or the budget) for two computers. I need a Mac for work, so it necessarily must also be my gaming machine.