Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Refurbished iMacs?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Refurbished iMacs?
palefire1

2006-10-26, 01:11

Hi,

I am looking at getting my mother a refurb iMac for Christmas. There are a few options available on the website, and I cannot decide whether I should get her the 17 in, with the 1GB of RAM, or the 20in, with the 500mb of RAM.

My gut tells me two things: One, I should get the one with more RAM. Two, I should stop being a wussy and put more RAM in myself, and get the 20 in. I am pretty un-techy, and don't really trust myself. Would I void the warranty, is another concern.

So.

I am asking if people have a) had good experiences with refurb macs, and b) should I go for the faster 17in, or the slower 20in. She would just be using it for Word (she is a writer) and DVDs, as well as e-mail, etc.

Thoughts?

All help very much appreciated.
J
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-10-26, 01:24

well i dont have an iMac myself, but remember, the screen size is not upgradable while the RAM is. From what i hear, the RAM is easy to install. I upgraded the RAM in my powerbook and it was easy as pie. I would go with the 20inch.

btw, its 512mb RAM, ha.

ps, this should be in purchasing advice.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
benkraft

Send a message via ICQ to benkraft Send a message via Skype™ to benkraft 
2006-10-26, 02:27

Depending on whether or not you want to make this a surprise gift I would ask your mother in advance what screen size she feels comfortable with. I for once felt very overwhelmed by the size of the 20" iMac and thus decided to get the 17" - and haven't regretted it. Obviously, this is a personal preference, which is why I would try to find out first...

Quidquid vis fieri, fac; facienda faciet nullus pro te.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-10-26, 06:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by palefire1 View Post
Hi,

I am looking at getting my mother a refurb iMac for Christmas. There are a few options available on the website, and I cannot decide whether I should get her the 17 in, with the 1GB of RAM, or the 20in, with the 500mb of RAM.

My gut tells me two things: One, I should get the one with more RAM. Two, I should stop being a wussy and put more RAM in myself, and get the 20 in. I am pretty un-techy, and don't really trust myself. Would I void the warranty, is another concern.

So.

I am asking if people have a) had good experiences with refurb macs, and b) should I go for the faster 17in, or the slower 20in. She would just be using it for Word (she is a writer) and DVDs, as well as e-mail, etc.

Thoughts?

All help very much appreciated.
J
Well, if you've got the money, and your Mom's got the desk space, I would go for the 20". I love the space on the desktop, even when I'm using email, Word, etc.

I am pretty un-techy myself, and I put RAM in my iMac G5 (rev. b) no problem. Very easy. And from what I know, my self-upgrade did not void my warranty.

That said, I think that RAM swaps in versions of the iMac after mine became more difficult due to changes in internal configurations. I defer to such an owner to describe any difficulty adding RAM.

What version of the iMac are you looking at.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-10-26, 06:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by benkraft View Post
I for once felt very overwhelmed by the size of the 20" iMac ...
How big are you?

palefire1

2006-10-26, 19:23

My mom is a 6'8" Viking.

Just kidding. Thanks for all the advice. Not sure what edition I am looking at. Just whatever is on the refurbished site on Apple?