User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 27 of 49 First Previous 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31  Next Last Thread Tools
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-01-29, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Unbelievable: I warped to iJak to have a look at the trap, but he was standing on the edge, so I fell in again! Only this time it was also full of skellys and zombies. Made a warp to Kraetos with half a heart left.
And shortly after that I fell down my trap while working on the water elevator, promptly died, and had to warp to you to get back

arteggio

2011-01-29, 16:44

Protocol error.
End of stream.
Logging in?...
503!

Don't log out or
woe be you.

(Should this've gone in the Silly Poems thread? )

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-29, 18:26

I'm beginning to think I'm just Minecraft accident-prone. That and I keep forgetting where I logged out...

In fact, on that subject, I genuinely have no idea where I logged out last. Let's hope it was somewhere approximately safe.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-01-29, 19:28

FYI the NE sky way is finished and is accessible at Old Town.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-01-29, 20:24

And it also connects to my new vertical mine. The water elevator is under construction done!

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-01-30 at 00:00.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-01-30, 14:55

So... Eventually leading into the communal mob trap observation area from the sky ranch will be this story in sign post form. The last sign will be on the glass at the end of the sky ranch access tunnel:

The day was sunny and bright.

Gracie and I were at kitty hawk

Watching the squid play in the deep
Waters

It was getting late…

‘Gracie honey, we must go.’

‘But daddy…’

‘Come now, the squid will be here tomorrow; I promise to bring you back’

‘Really?’

‘Yes, honey.’

The walk to mushroom mountain cabin was quick

But Gracie lagged

‘Gracie, the sun is almost down, the cabin’s not far, but we must move’

‘Carry me.’

‘Ok’

She was still light for a six year old, and we made good time

But we weren’t quick enough

‘Gracie, don’t worry but I see some mobs ahead.’

She shivered slightly

‘Daddy, let’s go’

‘There are three of them maybe more. Here, stand behind daddy. It will be ok.’

It wasn’t ok.

‘Daddy, I am scarred.’

The three creepers ahead of us attacked first

They died easily, but we were flanked by spiders and a skellie ridder…

when zombies came up the rear

Gracie was knocked down by a zombie, then a spider dragged her off.

I fought her free, but not before more spiders fell from the sky.

‘They’re coming from the trees, let me set them alight.’

Gracie wimpered. The mobs receded but an errant arrow hit her chest.

She died in my arms.

She was so young.

I promised her that I would get them back

I will get them back…..

I got them back.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-30, 17:45

Dark. Very dark.

I've been poring over the map looking for Pumpkin patches. (And Red flower locations - need red dye!) I think I've spotted two possibilities as Pumpkin patches, but I'm not 100% sure and they're absolutely miles away from my patch of the world. An epic voyage awaits. At least I should be able to warp back to somewhere civilised.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-30, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
And it also connects to my new vertical mine. The water elevator is under construction done!
I've seen this mine. Basically Kraetos has created a Chunk Error. Or, at least, that's what it looks like. Quite confusing actually.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-30, 20:03

Quote:
I've seen this mine. Basically Kraetos has created a Chunk Error. Or, at least, that's what it looks like. Quite confusing actually.
I had the same reaction when I first saw it. Logged out/in at least once before I looked closer.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-01-31, 15:01

I like my chunk error. There are lots of diamonds at the bottom

A good amount of lapis, too, although I advise that everyone leaves lapis deposits untouched. Right now they only drop one lapis but as of next patch they will drop 4-8, like redstone. (They already drop 4-8 in SSP.)

At the moment I'm more interested in Lapis than diamonds. My next project requires lots of purple dye, smoothstone, and clay. I will also need several bookshelves.

Also, use the elevator at your own risk. It can kill you very quickly if you do it wrong.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-01-31 at 15:20.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-31, 15:41

Interesting: I think I might be building something similar next as I'm stockpiling bricks, smooth stone and bookcases! Maybe we could collaborate?

I'm looking at building a brick library building with a clocktower (complete with bell). My intention was to base it on the Braithwaite Hall at the Croydon Clocktower mainly because I used to work there (and because the Tory council are in the process of shutting it down...sigh...) so I know the layout really well.

Much respect to Brad's texture package as it makes finding clay a lot easier - it looks closer to dirt in colour now, instead of being almost exactly like stone in the regular textures.

Last edited by Bryson : 2011-01-31 at 15:55.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2011-01-31, 15:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1-J...layer_embedded

This must happen.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2011-01-31, 20:59

Quote:
Fair enough. I guess we will have to scour the map for clay and do battle if we both find the same deposit!
Ahem... Old Towne....

I found some big deposits just northwest of my strip mining operation. Net 268 pieces of clay.

Last edited by Elysium : 2011-01-31 at 21:55.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-31, 22:45

Didn't Brad declare that a national park?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-31, 23:23

268 clay gets you only 67 brick blocks. This is going to take a while.....

Meanwhile, has anyone else managed to successfully install the Minecraft Project Designer that Bbsky mentioned back a bit in the thread? It mostly works but I can't seem to find where to drop the Java 3d download, and the installers are only available for Windows, Linux and Solaris(!). I can't find any folders called JRE or even Java on my Mac. Any pointers?

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-01, 01:16

You shouldn't need Java3d, ie, it is on your computer already...

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-01, 12:20

Really? The 3D view doesn't work...

So, I went and harvested some stuff down at the communal Mob Trap today. I built a glass canopy over the chest area so the skellys can't shoot you on the way down. I also enlarged the collection floor and reinstated the handrail as I was almost knocked over the edge by a flying zombie while grabbing drops. I note that someone is working on a better collection floor where you don't have to run under the falling mobs at the bottom of the shaft anyway, so I guess it's just temporary.

These mob traps are going to make access to TNT much better! Walking away with 3x64 Sulphur.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-01, 15:08

Quote:
Really? The 3D view doesn't work...

So, I went and harvested some stuff down at the communal Mob Trap today. I built a glass canopy over the chest area so the skellys can't shoot you on the way down. I also enlarged the collection floor and reinstated the handrail as I was almost knocked over the edge by a flying zombie while grabbing drops. I note that someone is working on a better collection floor where you don't have to run under the falling mobs at the bottom of the shaft anyway, so I guess it's just temporary.

These mob traps are going to make access to TNT much better! Walking away with 3x64 Sulphur.
Hmm... The 3d view sort of works for me -- but you can't move around... Maybe it's a bug?

arteggio

2011-02-01, 16:06

Travel to Flaming Mountain. Go diagonal until you face west. Follow the walk. Make a left at the heart.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-01, 17:06

So, I found a Pumpkin Patch - right by the spawn. Hopefully no-one had plans for it... There was a weird wooden monument thing there but little else. Anyway, I don't need as many pumpkins as I harvested, so let me know if you need some.

Do they grow spontaneously? It just seems weird that one would be so close to the spawn without being harvested long ago.

Foj
Veteran Member

2011-02-01, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
PLEASE let us know when the deathmatch is to commence, so that we can all plan to be there and watch the hilarity.
I thought we were beyond Thunderdome.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-01, 17:43

Re: pumpkin patch at spawn:

i moved them there.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-01, 17:46

Oh....Did you need them there? It looked random enough to be "natural".

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-01, 18:04

Quote:
So, I found a Pumpkin Patch - right by the spawn. Hopefully no-one had plans for it... I harvested.
Boooo! They were placed there so they wouldn't be destroyed/lost by the skyranch's shadow of death, IIRC.

I think they've been there for weeks...

¡Damned!

2011-02-01, 19:59

Yeah. Nobody ever noticed those before, being in the center of civilization and all. LMAO!

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-01, 20:10

Happy to put them back if they have a purpose. They didn't look placed. I was going to use them as ceiling lights in the Arena foyer instead of wooden blocks with 4 torches. Not all of us can spawn glowstone when we want to, you know....

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-02-01, 21:44

waaaaaaaaaaaa
i cant log in!
curse you notch, curse you!

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-02, 03:11

ok:

Lot's of construction going on outside of the cactus fence at spawn:

Diagonal tunnel to Communal Trap is complete. It is the most efficient route from spawn to the trap, and most players East/North will find it convenient to use. Players West/South will probably want to use 709's wonderful sky walks and stairs. I do have a question for those residing in Mob Hill -- I can extend a straight tunnel to that area, if you would like. I have one that is approximately in line with the starlight forest, and it seems possible for me to extend it without going under any currently existent buildings or projects. Let me know.

Straight tunnel to my old trap from spawn is also complete, opening is more austere and it is tucked out of the way to avoid confusion.

Finally, I completed building a Communal storage/exchange building in between the two tunnel project; Rowdy helped finish it up. The goal here is to allow for exchange of raw materials, so cobble and not smooth stone, wood and not planks or sticks, sand and not glass or sandstone, etc. The chests are labeled with their eventual (or current) contents. If need be a basement can be added for additional storage, I would like for the building to remaining open and airy and that requires fairly inefficient placement of chests, but it is aesthetically pleasing, and that makes me happy.

Also of note: 1/4 of the communal trap is covered, so it is active day and night, at least to some degree.

Tomorrow I plan on working on the communal trap and simplifying item collection/attractiveness of the killing floor, and this requires getting rid of the dirt island that everyone seems to hate anyway :P.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-02-02, 07:25

Man, I'm looking forward to spending more time in this game again soon. School has just consumed my life. I'd quit but that won't get me far. Plus, I love my classes.

Anyone have an extra Alpha code? Most of you know my wife plays on my account most of the time but I'd like to set her up with her own account. Yeah, I could just get a beta code and will if it's all I have available.

bb, looking forward to seeing what you do to make the communal trap better. I'm loving it. If you'd like to see the grinder I built it does work, though not very fast. It is entertaining to watch the mobs burn to death. Kinda like you're old trap I think.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2011-02-02, 11:31

The communal material exchange is a great idea as I know I'll have plenty of dirt to give up to the skyranch once I'm done clearing/leveling for the hockey arena and my strip mining operation.