Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Video Games for Mac People?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Video Games for Mac People?
Mr. X

2005-01-20, 13:56

Okay, so here's an interesting question:

What video game console is the choice for Mac users?

I haven't really been into games since the days of the Sega Genesis. I have always been a HUGE fan of Sega's sports games, and never really liked EA (outside of their NHL game for the Genesis; Sega eventually blew them away with hockey, as well)

I recently decided to get back into gaming and received the new slim PS2, because I couldn't get myself to purchase something from Microsoft. Yet, Sony is the company that destroyed Sega's console business. So, being a Sega and Apple supporter, it was choosing the lesser of two evils.

However, Sega Sports games are all I really care about (for the most part), and it makes me so mad to see how much better they are on the XBOX. Clearly, Sega Sports wants their games to be far superior on Microsoft's console (not just with graphics, but with features).

I am seriously considering trading in that PS2 for an XBOX, to have the best in Sega Sports gaming. MLB 2K5 is just around the corner, and I just know I will be annoyed playing the PS2 version, missing out on so much....

But I can't stand Microsoft! Do I just deal with inferiority? Ugh, this is tough...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-20, 14:45

Um, how about you leave the politics out of it completely since Microsoft as a console maker is not the same as Microsoft as an OS programmer? Is it that novel an idea to simply buy whichever one you like most? It's very simple:

1) XBox for "grown-up" games, first person shooters, and online multiplayer
2) GameCube for "kiddie" games, adventure/puzzle games, party games
3) PS2 for RPGs, fighting games, Katamari Damacy (it requires its own category, really), and also a wide supply of crappy games with blocky graphics

I had a GameCube for about a year and played through quite a few games before selling it. It was a lot of fun but eventually I got bored. Get whichever one you would enjoy more. If you're itching for the XBox version of MLB 2K5 (or maybe some Halo 2 lovin'), then by all means get an XBox. There are plenty of Mac users who own XBoxes, and also plenty of Mac users who own PS2s and GameCubes.

Come to think of it, this brings up a theme we've been seeing constantly since the influx of new members to our site following MWSF - characterizing people too broadly based on geek politics. As I've said in all those other threads, you just can't do that. The most politically involved I get regarding gadgets and stuff is to say that when I refuse to buy a product, I'm "punishing" the company that made it for making a bad product. When I choose to buy one, I'm "rewarding" them for making a good product. I don't bring politics into it at all. So if I think the XBox is a good console and I buy one, then that's my own vote of confidence in MS's console-building ability. Meanwhile, I choose to not purchase Windows, which is again my own vote of dissatisfaction with Microsoft.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-01-20, 15:19

I like my gamecube. I generally have the most fun on it than any other system. But we have a PS2 for some games(franchises really)

But lately, I've really been itching to play super nintendo, imo that was the best system of all time. So many great games.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-20, 15:22

Personally I'm a fan of the GameBoy Advance. It's pretty much a portable SNES, and a lot of old SNES games have been ported over. In fact, a lot of people have complained about that because they're not getting much of anything new, but it's great for me because I never owned a SNES and missed out on some of the greatest video games ever made. Now when I get to play them on my teeny little GBA SP, they're all new to me.

Because I already have a gaming PC, I don't really think I need a big console. The only reason I'd consider buying an XBox would be for Halo 2, which is the best FPS currently available IMHO. I do have a number of first-person shooters for my PC, like Half Life 2 and Call Of Duty. They do run very well and are reasonably fun, but Halo 2 is just so much better in my opinion. Dual wielding, rechargeable shields, and a diverse selection of very balanced weapons beats the bland repetitiveness that is Half Life 2 or worse, Doom 3.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-01-20, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Personally I'm a fan of the GameBoy Advance. It's pretty much a portable SNES, and a lot of old SNES games have been ported over. In fact, a lot of people have complained about that because they're not getting much of anything new, but it's great for me because I never owned a SNES and missed out on some of the greatest video games ever made. Now when I get to play them on my teeny little GBA SP, they're all new to me..
For sure, this is a big part of why the GBA is so popular(aside from being the only real contender in that market, it's still really popular saleswise)

But, My brothers GBA is the old one with no backlight and it's really a pain in the ass to try and play your games on it. I think the Gameboy player is a better idea, the thing that hooks onto the gamecube and plays your GBA games through the TV. Or I think emulation is a better Idea
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-20, 15:46

No way man, emulation is crap! Now maybe it's free (assuming you're doing things ILLEGALLY! ), but nothing can compare to the feel of a good solid controller with a real D-pad in your hands. And while I think the GBA is great for being so portable, it's still limited by its button setup and small screen. The SNES had four buttons, and although the GBA does too, the shoulder buttons are not easy to press.

Now, the ideal setup would be either a real SNES hooked up of course, or a close second would be a GameCube with the GBA Player and one of these Hori digital-only controllers:

Now wouldn't that be fun?
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-01-20, 16:27

I have an old style Vectrex, a Sega Dreamcast, N64, Nintendo Gamecube, PS2 (slim), and XBOX.

They are simply too cheap to not have them all.

Most use? The above in reverse order.
Preference? Some affection for PS2/GC games but largely I'm an XBOXer.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
Igorot Warrior

2005-01-20, 16:40

Man...all this talk of SNES makes me think of the good ole days of playing Super Bomberman with the multitap.....oh and all the times me and my friends played Streetfighter II, Fatal Fury (and other SNK games), and Final Fantasy.

"War just in the ring...peace on Earth" - Vanderlei Silva
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-01-20, 16:49

they sell NES and SNES controllers rewired to be USB so you can play your emulated games properly. a google search should turn them up, i'm too lazy to look. i have some and they fucking rock.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
ohara
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-20, 16:55

i usually only play NES – i bought the last generation NES system in 1993? when i was 7? and i ne'er have replaced it.

excitebike is a really good game!
Akumulator

2005-01-20, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnq
I have an old style Vectrex
I have a Vectrex too. I love it. The little joystick doesn't center itself anymore.
Mr. X

2005-01-20, 17:41

Quote:
Um, how about you leave the politics out of it completely since Microsoft as a console maker is not the same as Microsoft as an OS programmer? Is it that novel an idea to simply buy whichever one you like most? It's very simple:

3) PS2 for RPGs, fighting games, Katamari Damacy (it requires its own category, really), and also a wide supply of crappy games with blocky graphics

I had a GameCube for about a year and played through quite a few games before selling it. It was a lot of fun but eventually I got bored. Get whichever one you would enjoy more. If you're itching for the XBox version of MLB 2K5 (or maybe some Halo 2 lovin'), then by all means get an XBox. There are plenty of Mac users who own XBoxes, and also plenty of Mac users who own PS2s and GameCubes.

Come to think of it, this brings up a theme we've been seeing constantly since the influx of new members to our site following MWSF - characterizing people too broadly based on geek politics. As I've said in all those other threads, you just can't do that. The most politically involved I get regarding gadgets and stuff is to say that when I refuse to buy a product, I'm "punishing" the company that made it for making a bad product. When I choose to buy one, I'm "rewarding" them for making a good product. I don't bring politics into it at all. So if I think the XBox is a good console and I buy one, then that's my own vote of confidence in MS's console-building ability. Meanwhile, I choose to not purchase Windows, which is again my own vote of dissatisfaction with Microsoft.
Excellent points.

Yeah, I'd also like to play the box version of NFL 2K5, especially since it will be the last Sega football game. I'd really love to go through an NFL season on there...
Wrao
Yarp

2005-01-20, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
they sell NES and SNES controllers rewired to be USB so you can play your emulated games properly. a google search should turn them up, i'm too lazy to look. i have some and they fucking rock.
Definitely neat, but logitech and such make many many controllers, what's wrong with them?
Mr. X

2005-01-20, 21:02

Supposedly, Take Two (Sega Sports) is close to inking a deal for MLB rights.....oh, man, I hope that happens. Then I at least know there will still be good baseball games made.
IonYz

Send a message via AIM to IonYz  
2005-01-21, 01:28

Yeah, I don't get "Video Games for Mac People". Whatever system has the games you want, buy it. If they are not exclusives but mostly ports get an Xbox. I have the big three and my GameCube and PS2 get a bit more play then the Xbox.

Also have a Dreamcast, Saturn (with Import adapter), TurboGrafx 16 (with Import Adapter), and N64 but only the Saturn has had much play recently. Have the 8 and 16 bits around. Played through the Metroid series after completing Prime 2; very fun.

Hot Shots Golf Fore, Amplitude, Simpsons Hit and Run; very fun games.

I've been itching to build a PC for gaming, squarely because I miss playing with my clan. But thats another matter entirely.

/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
Mr. X

2005-02-20, 15:15

I've had my Gamecube hooked up for almost a month now; haven't even touched the PS2 since. I'm currently working on The Wind Waker. Great game.
Kurama

2005-02-20, 15:50

http://emulator-zone.com
you'll find the mac emulator section on the bottom left
mama's left eye

2005-02-20, 15:58

Quote:
Um, how about you leave the politics out of it completely since Microsoft as a console maker is not the same as Microsoft as an OS programmer? Is it that novel an idea to simply buy whichever one you like most?
I've got a novel idea! How about purchasing from a company you trust and support? If a company burns you enough, I would hope you would learn from it. A dog bites you once... There is absolutely nothing wrong with brand loyalty. Everyone is brand loyal about something or another. Makes perfect sense. I'm on 4th PS2 because the 1st 3 broke within warranty period. After that and all of Sony's over-hyping, I'll be damned if I ever buy something else from sony without much scrutinization.

Anyway, I own a GC, PS2 and GBA SP. The PS2 gets very little play time. All of the "must play" titles for me have been on the GC. Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Animal Crossing, Eternal Darkness, Mario Sunshine, ect.

I would buy a DS in an instant if they put some RPGs out for it. The dual and touch screen would be perfect for it.

It is better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six.
donniedarko

2005-02-20, 20:30

I have both the xbox and ps2 and the only game i play on the ps2 is (was) gta: san andreas and that was right before halo2 was released... now its all about the xbox... I hate it, i have become a halo2 junky. the sad part about it is i think i liked unreal tournament (pc) way more than this... and that is the only thing i miss about my old pc. does anyone play counter strike or doom 3 on their macs here? im tempted...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-20, 20:44

Well, there's UT2k4 for Mac, and also Call Of Duty. Doom 3 is supposed to be coming out for Mac eventually, but it could be a while and it's going to be extremely demanding. Counter-Strike is not available for the Mac. The closest you can get is Call Of Duty, with the Search And Destroy game type (same as Defuse in CS).
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-02-20, 23:49

Currently I'm a PS2 whore. Only playing NHL 2K5. Once I get my fix I plan on going though all the really good RPGs for the system. Before that I had a dangerous addiction to my Dreamcast, especially once I found out I could burn games for it. Bass Fishing 1 & 2 were the greatest things ever.

Prior to that I had a Master System, SNES and Atari Jaguar.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-02-21, 16:55

Quote:
You nailed things down very precisely. I would like to add the following:
PS2 is the Gran Turismo console.
PS2 is the arcade shoot'em up console.
PS2 is (till June) the GTA: San Andreas console.
Gamecube has more than adventure/puzzle. There are a lot of really nice arcade/action games and elements.

Me? I'm a PS2 player because of the fighting games and everything I mentioned. Very tempted by Gamecube (could use a second console), not really interested in XBox games, and reluctant to feed Microsoft because I think they are more interested in introducing new anticompetetive measures in their software and screwing their own customers instead of going toe to toe with other companies and out-competing them in a positive way.

PS: Nintendo, you suck for removing the digital video out and never including progressive video setting in PAL games in the first place.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-02-22, 03:38

SNES and NES were the best. About ohhhh I think 3 years ago there was a /. article about repairing the NES so it would work on your first try. Me and somebody else.........tried to do it however I have no idea what happened to it after the move.

And All That Could Have Been
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-02-22, 11:15

Quote:
The most politically involved I get regarding gadgets and stuff is to say that when I refuse to buy a product, I'm "punishing" the company that made it for making a bad product. When I choose to buy one, I'm "rewarding" them for making a good product. I don't bring politics into it at all. So if I think the XBox is a good console and I buy one, then that's my own vote of confidence in MS's console-building ability. Meanwhile, I choose to not purchase Windows, which is again my own vote of dissatisfaction with Microsoft.
That's exactly how I operate. Well said.

My gaming systems are a PS2, XBox, and one of those Atari 12-in-one joysticks. My XBox has been getting the most use lately between KOTOR2 and Halo2. Using XBox Live is so much fun. I've got a clan of friends all around the country and we have set playing times every week. We even set up an email listserv to keep ourselves organized. My PS2 gets its use from, well, games that aren't available on the XBox and my Atari joystick is awesome for party games. I've got a few of those PS2 titles that are emulators for old games as well. On occasion, I think about getting a GameCube because they're just so cheap, but I think it might get me in trouble with my fiancee if she saw another console coming home from the store...

Oh, and I don't play games on my Mac. I've got a laptop and it's a pristine environment for getting work done.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
ironlung

2005-02-23, 20:32

I bought an xbox last year after a few years without playing any games. I preferred the xbox because I could mod it and fool around with the console..not to mention it has better graphics than a ps2. I have just known a lot of people with ps2 problems.. units breaking down... dvd drive not working. With an xbox if a component breaks down, chances are you can replace it urself.. after all...all it really is is a pentium3 pc!