Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

'Last post time: an hour from now?'

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
'Last post time: an hour from now?'
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-11-01, 14:29

So maybe this will disappear by tomorrow as system clocks reconcile the end of DST.
Or possible some posters are in zones that don't shift clock in sync...

I reset most of my blinking vcrs, clocks and watches over the weekend as the traditional Fall Back hits here in the Pacific time zone, and happily noted the timeserver sync which brought my iBook into harmony.

I'm checking the VNP page and I notice a "last post" from an hour in the future.

The preferences page reports correct time zone and time, so as far as my computer and the AN server there's no apparent disagreement... but several of the the most recent threads seem to still be on Daylight Savings Time.
Or my cable connection is reaally slow and those threads are redshifting.

Is everybody seeing this, or does it depend on which time zone you're in?

Just an FYI, perhaps, not sure if its a bugrep.

Edit: looks like refresh doesn't show this result... maybe fixed.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-01, 14:33

Our server changed for DST at 2:00 AM EST Sunday morning (Saturday night). There was an interesting overlap of post times there during the 1:00 AM "hour", but I haven't seen any issues since.

Keep us posted if you see anything else odd happen.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-11-01, 14:36

Time is still off by an hour for me here. Current time: 14:36. Your post above is listed as being made at 15:33.

Yup, this one is shown for me as 15:36.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-11-01, 14:50

Not all posters seem to trigger a misreported time... if the server is sync'd...
I'm guessing it's a conflict with user clocks on a case by case.

Anybody who intentionally hasn't updated their clock care to post and prove the theory?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-01, 14:51

Truly odd!

Is this how your options are set?
Attached Images
File Type: png SafariScreenSnapz001.png (9.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: png SafariScreenSnapz002.png (23.2 KB, 54 views)
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-11-01, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Truly odd!

Is this how your options are set?
My time zone is Pacific, but otherwise, yep...

There are some jurisdictions here and there that don't do DST, and it might be that those folks left the setting, then moved, but that seems like a stretch.
bauman

2004-11-01, 16:09

I live in Indiana, and we use EST. So, I would supposedly be one of the funky ones around here. Local time here is 16:08. I wonder if it's the auto detect DST option that's screwing things up. How does that work? By IP address lookups?

Edit: Yeah, I'm seeing the right times.
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-11-01, 17:11

I noticed a problem with this a few weeks ago in the iMac G5 thread where Murbot said he would post a gallery in two hours. I checked the current time against his post and made a comment he was late. When it was posted, the time was an hour behind the "real" time. That was when I noticed the "automatically detect DST" setting didn't work for me...

I changed it to manual an everything is peachy (that is, after I just turned DST off).

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-11-03, 09:01

Yeah, we went into DST and I noticed that my posts were stated as being made an hour earlier than I posted them. ie: AN reports I posted at 11.47 pm when it was 12.47 am where I am located.

Apparently, the "automatically detect DST" feature does not work - so I just set it for "DST corrections always on" and all is well.

All I want is a simple life
twitter