Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

My Apple "Testimonial" movie...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
My Apple "Testimonial" movie...
Wraven

2005-03-16, 14:39

Hello Guys and Gals,
So as you all know Apple is soliciting iPod -> Mac stories from their web site, so I went ahead and wrote about my iPod mini, how cool it was, and how it helped me decide to get my first Mac (a Mac mini). Well, I got a callback and was asked to make a video talking about my Mac.

Being SOMEWHAT creative I wanted to do a little more than simply shoot a video of me just sitting there talking. Long story short, here is a (low, crappy quality) version of the movie (I am sending Apple the DV quality version on a DVD made in iDVD):

http://homepage.mac.com/brendon.mcca...estimonial.mov

Note: It is only 2.4MB I think so it should download fairly quickly.

What do you all think? Please bear in mind this was the absolute FIRST time I have used iMovie or iDVD (with original content ), as well as the FIRST time I have used a DV camcorder (bought it last Wednesday for this purpose, and to take movies of the family of course) so be gentle. The fact that I was able to do video / audio synching, transitions, effects, etc... all out of the gate speaks to the fact of how EASY iMovie is (IMO).

I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,
Wraven
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-03-16, 14:51

Thanks for sharing this with us. It's a good story and I'm sure many here will echo your views.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-03-16, 15:20

Nice video. Thanks for sharing.
BTW: cute kid
Wraven

2005-03-16, 15:43

Thanks Franz, and thanks kretara for the comments about my little boy (he is a ball of fun).

Making the movie was very fun. I really like editing. By the time I was wrapping up editing the movie I had really gotten the hang of iMovie and had already figured out better way to do things I had done earlier in the movie. It was quite a learning experience.

Cheers,
Wraven

Last edited by Wraven : 2005-03-16 at 21:35. Reason: Spelling fix...
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-03-16, 17:28

Nicely done. Good luck.
Wraven

2005-03-16, 21:39

Thanks Paul. Apple wanted it within a week, and in that week to 1) research and buy a DV camcorder, 2) learn how to use it, and 3) learn how to "really" use iMovie and iDVD. I think, given the tight time requirements, I did a pretty good job on it. The great thing is the wife is impressed that my $600 (well, $1100 as some of you know) Mac mini has all this great software to make movies and DVDs. So I think I am slowly winning her over on the whole "Mac" thing.

Cheers,
Wraven
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-16, 22:35

Well done, especially for a first timer!

Messiahtosh would be proud.
Wraven

2005-03-16, 23:05

Thanks Brad. Those kudos mean a lot coming from you!
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-03-17, 00:35

You've had the DV camcorder for a week, and you're already doing stuff like this.

Heck, that's testimonial enough right there. Sweet!
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-03-17, 04:01

Indeed!

Seeing people's great home movies makes me really want a DV camcorder...
Wraven

2005-03-17, 09:12

Barrack and Son,
No kidding - if you guys haven't done DV importing and editing in iMovie and DVD creation in iDVD, you are missing out on a HUGE out-of-the-box benefit of having a Mac (Windows' Movie Maker, by comparison, is a joke). I know DV camcorders are far from cheap, so I understand if you guys haven't done it. Just an FYI though, I got a nice (and SMALL) Sony DV camcorder on sale at Best Buy for $449, and with a bag, 3 sony DV tapes, and a firewire cable + tax it was $565. Not too shabby a deal to get into the world of digital video. It's hardly a Canon GL2, but the video (the real video, not the crappy web export I did) looks terrific on the DVD.

Cheers,
Wraven
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-03-17, 12:40

Yeah, but there's so many things on my to buy list: DV Cam, digicam, iSight (brother's getting that for me once I'm sure that Rev C is in UK stores), BT mouse, 1GB PB RAM (x2, honestly), MacSkinz iPod Skin, DV Forge iPod stand and PB stand (maybe), iPod Shuffle... and on and on.

I'm such a tech whore...

bouncy bouncy
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-03-17, 12:58

Say that I do get a DV camcorder... is it worth using iMovie and iDVD on my non-superdrive-equipped iBook?
Wraven

2005-03-17, 13:47

IMO, yes it is. Because you can write the iDVD project out to an image file and burn it later on a SuperDrive equipped Mac. Also, you can still use iMovie to create nice home movies to put up on a web site or play directly from your iBook. iMovie is GREAT for personal / family use, even if you are not going to be burning the movies to play on a DVD player.

Cheers,
Wraven