Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2019-06-03, 13:52

• the expected tripartate split of iTunes into Music, Podcasts, TV
  • sync of stuff to iOS happens basically invisibly
  • Sidecar: connecting laptop to iPad as second display for a Mac
  • using your iPad as a drawing tablet for apps on your Mac, too
  • Accessibility improvements: control Mac and iOS devices with Voice Control, just with your voice.
  • Marizpan renamed to Catalyst and sure enough makes it super easy to start writing an app and then customize it to go out for iOS, macOS, iPadOS

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-06-03, 14:21

Loved the way Craig was acknowledging (about a decade late) that the feature creep in iTunes was bad.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-06-03, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Marizpan renamed to Catalyst
I'm not sure we have proof it was ever called Marzipan. It sounds specific enough not to be made up, but it could also be 1) referring to something different (such as SwiftUI) or 2) a deliberate red herring to try and find leakers.

It caught on outside Apple because it was a unique, simply name to refer to something more complicated ("UIKit on macOS" is kind of wordy).
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-03, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Loved the way Craig was acknowledging (about a decade late) that the feature creep in iTunes was bad.
Yes. He is good about seeing the humor within Apple and sharing it. He is becoming something of a rockstar for them, and the crowd loves him.

Also, SideCar is going to be a huge hit with designers. The iPad becomes two computers in one, and it's value goes way up.

Also, also, one of the biggest updates is adding iThings to the sidebar within Finder. Syncing is now moved over there, and while it will cause a lot of early confusion, it is going to be a way better solution.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-07, 13:37

So who's already upgrade? I have it available though this time it is via Settings > Software Updates as opposed to the Mac App Store. I'm not ready to upgrade yet. VMWare wants me to pay for a .5 upgrade to be fully macOS 10.15 compatible and I'm not sure it's worth it for me to pay $100 for that privilege.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2019-10-07, 14:41

I thought the .5 was a free update?

Anyway, I upgraded when the GM seed came out last week. It’s mostly fine; the worst so far is a memory-guzzling Spotlight process. Not entirely sure that’s a bug, but it seems to go all the way to ~6 GiB (yes, seriously), which isn’t great.

Anyone run into any cool Catalyst apps yet?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-07, 16:56

I'm running 11.1.1 and the Check Upgrades takes me to a link to pay for 11.5 Fusion Pro. Thankfully I can get it on sale for only $119.99 (apparently the $100 was an early-bird sale). Yeah, I'm not interested in giving them more money yet.

Have you had any other issues with it running your VMs? Do you connect to ESXi hosts with it and if so have you seen any issues there?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2019-10-07, 17:31

It’s definitely supposed to be a free update from 11: https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/...lable-now.html

No issues. I also connect to ESX 5 machines; also works fine.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-10-07, 20:39

Catalina seems to have broken my beloved Logitech MX Master from working via the USB dongle, but Bluetooth still works so I guess I got a USB port back?

Everything seems a bit sluggish but it's still indexing / scanning photos / updating Mail so I'll leave it overnight and see what it's like then.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-08, 08:48

I'm really annoyed at how VMWare handled that Fusion update. I went to the page you linked and downloaded the update and it activated just fine. It wouldn't just do the update without manually running the installer though.

Anyway, Catalina just got installed on my MBP and I have to say one thing that stands out right away is they finally are moving away from completely flat and bland icons. We are finally seeing depth and color in the icons again. My flat world be forever in the past!

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-10-08, 14:41

I will probably update this weekend when I take my work MBP home. Waiting to see if I can find a first hand account of Quickbooks Mac 2019 and the updates and upgrades working fine. I got an email from QB but waiting to hear someone to verify that.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-10-08, 15:49

I see all the VMWare convo, so I'll say: Parallels is working fine.

I'm still finding the mouse "skips" every now and again. I'm not sure if it's a frame rate issue or due to the fact I had to change to Bluetooth.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2019-10-08, 17:07

Yontsey, I'd be also interested in Intuit's response re: QuickBooks.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-10-08, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Yontsey, I'd be also interested in Intuit's response re: QuickBooks.
According to the QB update a couple days ago and the email I got today it’s good to go but I’d feel way more comfortable if I heard from someone who did it.

@yontsey
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-10-08, 20:02

I think we've talked about this before, but I moved to QuickBooks Online strictly for reasons such as this. Never worrying about upgrading OS versions because the web browser should always be able to display the website at the bare minimum.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-10-09, 06:39

According to this link from Intuit/QB, if you downloaded the update R7 for 2019 you should be good to go.

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-...ooks/00/390504

@yontsey
chucker

2019-10-09, 15:59

Browsing Windows file shares continues to be bad.

Mail continues to crash a few times a day (this started around 10.14.4-ish?).

I wish there were a slider to make font smoothing a bit thicker again.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-09, 21:58

I still can't use Music on my new MBP. It crashed when it started indexing or wherever it was doing. Photos is still churning away so I haven't rebooted. This means I'm still stuck letting it sit on its stand doing the processing. I'm ready to reboot it but trying to let it just finish and be done.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-10, 18:26

I end up having to hard reset my MBP just to be able to use it. I haven’t had the chance to use it much today but I’m guessing all is normal now that I rebooted it.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-10, 18:33

I've had two issues with Catalina:

1) Safari won't preload extensions. I have to go to Preferences and turn them on manually each time I launch Safari.

2) Desktop pictures keep getting a black bar across half the top. Weird.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-10-12, 13:36

Sounds like it’s a good idea to wait for a few point updates before jumping in. This year was the first time since Lion went beta that I didn’t accept invites to the Appleseed program. Given How buggy it is now, I think that was a good move. Apple really needs to rethink the big update every year policy, and improve their internal testing.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-12, 16:25

I install it on my home system because I need to know what it does and this is the best "beta" environment for me. But, we tell our customers to hold off until January. Doesn't stop them, though, and the service department is getting an increasing number of "done broke it" calls.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-10-13, 08:45

I'm usually a day 1 guy, but I'm going to wait until 10.15.1 before installing on my work computer. Not really concerned about anything but not jonesing like I use to for updates and figured I'd wait.

How is the Podcast standalone app? Have they improved that at all or is it still pretty dreadful? I thought I read that Overcast was working on an actually MacOS app....

@yontsey
chucker

2019-10-13, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
How is the Podcast standalone app? Have they improved that at all or is it still pretty dreadful?
It’s the iOS app now rather than its iTunes heritage.

Quote:
I thought I read that Overcast was working on an actually MacOS app....
Yes (using Catalyst), but Marco lost a fair amount of time just getting out stable iOS 13 stuff. He’s catching up, though.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2019-10-14, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I install it on my home system because I need to know what it does and this is the best "beta" environment for me. But, we tell our customers to hold off until January. Doesn't stop them, though, and the service department is getting an increasing number of "done broke it" calls.
Yes, I typically used an older system that is just used as a media hub for my TV for doing the testing. I have used beta builds on my main systems in the past, when pre-GM builds were basically trouble free, but that has been increasing not the case over the last few years (10.14 betas were very stable in contrast to a few others). These days other than security updates I find few compelling reasons to keep up to date with what Apple is doing, I find most of the UI changes irritating, pointless and just slowing down my workflow. I‘ve been holding off on iOS updates this time around for the same reason. Guess I’m getting old or something.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-10-15, 08:45

Well, this is embarrassing....

Since installing Catalina my mouse has been a bit jumpy. (Catalina also broke the use of the dongle, so I had to switch to Bluetooth.) I've been blaming Catalina for causing the jumpiness. This morning it became worse again and I was furious that Catalina was so terrible.....and then I checked the battery level of the mouse. Whoops.

Charge your mice, folks.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-15, 15:00

I don't know when/if I'm going to upgrade my Hackintosh. I really miss having my Safari tabs synced but I just don't really care for how unpolished Catalina feels. Sure there are some really cool things about it, just to many things that aren't. Losing a few of my old and unsupported 32bit apps doesn't help either. I know it's not Apple's fault they didn't upgrade, but still impacts me nonetheless.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-17, 15:57

Yesterday a Supplemental update was put out for Catalina that isn't 10.15.1, just a supplemental. Not only that, but it is only available via Software Updates in System Preferences. I've been trying to update my MBP but over and over again the update fails. I mean, this Apple thing isn't as unstable as Windows but man has macOS really made it hard to defend.

chucker

2019-10-18, 03:30

Trust me, Windows Update is astoundingly unreliable.

SU just reads https://swscan.apple.com/content/cat...1.sucatalog.gz for available updates, so the supplemental one should be in there somewhere. I haven't been able to quickly find it, though.

Is it downloaded to /Library/Updates?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2019-10-18, 14:40

Cannot say I’ve had a windows update fail since going with Windows 10 4 years ago. I know there are issues, but I don’t force day 1 updates and have avoided most of them by doing that alone.

Mac and iOS? I’ve frequently had failed updates, both of apps, and the OS. Thankfully most of the failures have happened prior to finishing and I can just try again. Updates have been no more or less stable regardless of whether it was through software update in system preferences or the App Store. It’s gotten a lot worse since they moved it to the App Store/SP panel.