User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Got Refurb 1.8 ghz 17" iMac - buzzes like chainsaw

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Got Refurb 1.8 ghz 17" iMac - buzzes like chainsaw
Fooboy

2006-03-29, 00:09

Ugh ... this thing rules except for the awful buzzing sound. I know I have seen threads a long time ago about this - what did people ever end up doing?

I hear the intel imacs are Whisper quiet. Well, I suppose I will take it to the apple store and maybe get a refund or something.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-29, 00:19

Have you allowed it to finish indexing the hard drive(s)? While it's indexing, the drive will continually rapidly click as it's searching through files.
Fooboy

2006-03-29, 00:26

I did a fresh install and then just pulled a few folders over from my powerbook ... but it has been on all day. I did some reasearch and I took it apart tonight as per instructions on this apple PDF.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/ima...h_LowerFan.pdf

It is that lower fan for sure. I took the back panel off, grounded everything, and powered the iMac up with the back open laying on its front (on a cloth). There are 3 fans that I can see, and the other 2 are very quiet ... just the slight blowing sound that is normal with air movement. The lower fan has more of a very noticable "buzzzzzzzzzzz" + a little grinding sound to it.

This site and its forum were helpful as well: http://www.scienceman.com/pgs/00_imacG5.html

Maybe I can just get a replacement fan from Apple ... I'd be happy with this if I could elimate the buzzing.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-29, 00:31

Eep! That may be the sound of bad ball bearings in the fan. That's rather unusual for such a new computer, but I guess anything is possible.

I'd definitely try to find a replacement for that fan ASAP.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Fooboy

2006-03-30, 10:13

I called Apple yesterday ... told them my problem, and they are overnighting me a replacement fan which arrives today. Great service by Apple.

I will let you guys know if it fixes the problem.

If it doesn't, I think the lure of a quieter (supposedly), faster, intel iMac with Superdrive and iSight may overtake me ... I mean I love the iMac G5 but if I am going to send it back anyways, why not upgrade? I will have to RMA this gig stick of Crucial DDR 400 to Newegg. Anyone want to buy it from me ?
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-03-30, 18:14

Wow, I have the exact same computer and it had the exact same problem!

I kept hearing this really loud whining and it didn't sound like the ones at the store. I took it in to an Apple repair guy and he said that it was the lower fan that was the problem.

After he replaced it the problem is a lot better, but the fan noise is still kinda there.
Fooboy

2006-03-30, 23:08

I put in the replacement fan ... and it still buzzed.

I called apple and after speaking with a very helpful Apple representative, got them to waive the restocking fee and send me shipping labels.

Returning the refubed iMac G5 ... and I think I'm going to get an Intel iMac - I hear they are very quiet.

I <3 Apple.

Edit: Still have that stick of ram now I need to sell