Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Get airport update while it is hot.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Get airport update while it is hot.
Quagmire
meh

2004-11-15, 21:52

I just updated it and no problem here. It is recommended for the people with airport enabled computers and for airport extreme base station or airport express. Even though I did experience a slow reaction to my restart command when finished.

BTW, if you don't have a airport extreme base station or airport express just quite the airport setup assistant when it opens after restart.

giggity
rasmits
rams it

2004-11-16, 02:33

I think this fixes the issue between setting up airport extreme on an XP Service Pack 2 machine.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-11-16, 02:49

That would be nice.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-16, 02:53

Installed here. No problems on my 12" PowerBook.
El Guardo

Send a message via AIM to El Guardo Send a message via MSN to El Guardo Send a message via Yahoo to El Guardo  
2004-11-16, 06:20

I lost my printer which was plugged into the USB port of an AEBS - for both my iMac and Powerbook. A simple reinstall of the drivers on both machines solved the problem.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-11-16, 09:03

There is also a firmware update (4.1) for the AIRPORT EXPRESS
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-11-16, 09:31

Installed on 15" 1.25GHz PowerBook, and no problems - or differences - that I can tell. All is well.
Mr Beardsley

Send a message via AIM to Mr Beardsley  
2004-11-16, 11:11

I'm glad I can finally use WPA on a WDS. I don't really have anything sensitive that I need to protect, but its still good to know you are using the stronger encryption.

"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-11-16, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
Will this fix the skipping problem? That would be wonderful. Although it doesn't happen a lot anymore, I'd still appreciate not having to deal with it if it does.

Come waste your time with me
Mr Beardsley

Send a message via AIM to Mr Beardsley  
2004-11-16, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Will this fix the skipping problem? That would be wonderful. Although it doesn't happen a lot anymore, I'd still appreciate not having to deal with it if it does.

DMBand0026, do you use MP3s or AACs? I'm curious if your skipping might have something to do with what format you are using. I just read this yesterday.

"The results were surprising to me. I expected the transcoding from AAC to Apple Lossless (the codec used to transmit sound to the AirPort Express) to have consumed more cycles than it did. I averaged 5.13% CPU utilization in iTunes while playing 128 kbps AAC over AirTunes to the AirPort Express. In comparison, playing those same songs on my computer required 3.9% of my CPUs. Playing those same songs locally again, but this time with Sound Enhancer on and turned to high, used 4.37%.

My testing also revealed why Apple chose to develop their own lossless codec instead of using an existing free codec like FLAC. When streaming 128 kbps MP3s to my AirPort Express, the CPU utilization jumped to 20.17%. Wow. I'd previously thought that Apple's reason for inventing their own lossless codec was because of packaging concerns inside of the AirPort Express that may have meant FLAC would require more processor power than the Express provides. Apparently, they were more concerned about the hit on the computer."

"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
aelix

2004-11-16, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
I was reading the release notes and saw this:

• Supports Keyspan Express Remote for use with AirTunes (AirPort Express only)

Why haven't I read anything about this remote before? Keyspan Express Remote

It is an IR remote that plugs directly into the Airport Express! This should make a lot of people happy.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-11-17, 02:20

That's cool, but my USB port is already in use, my ApExpress is being used as a print server too. Can't win 'em all I suppose
El Guardo

Send a message via AIM to El Guardo Send a message via MSN to El Guardo Send a message via Yahoo to El Guardo  
2004-11-17, 06:10

Buy another one then.
opuscroakus

2004-11-17, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
That's cool, but my USB port is already in use, my ApExpress is being used as a print server too. Can't win 'em all I suppose
If I read the Q&A pdf correctly, you can also plug it into a free USB port on the Mac itself and control iTunes that way via "iTunes Mode"...