AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

PCT: Self Portrait (June 15, 2010)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PCT: Self Portrait (June 15, 2010)
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-05-18, 07:11

Self-portraits are a common theme of photography, ranging from snapshots to art shots. That's the theme I've chosen for this month. For those that don't post images of their own faces online for privacy reasons - no problem. Faces are not obligatory (although certainly not forbidden). What I am really looking for are pictures that say 'something' about you. All the usual rules apply: the pics must be taken this month (May 15 to June 15, 2010), no heavy manipulation, technical perfection not required to win.

To get things started (not as an entry, since I am disqualified, but as an example (and not taken within the required period either)), I'll post this:

My bike, myself (taken on a trip to Scotland a couple of years ago).

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-05-18, 10:53

Interesting choice of topics, this should be interesting!
AWR
Veteran Member

2010-05-18, 14:28

Brad and some patch of hair winar.

Last edited by AWR : 2010-05-18 at 14:41.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-05-18, 21:27

Sounds like fun. I'll have to think of something worthy of posting here.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2010-05-20, 12:58

This means I'll have to make a self portrait which is not consisting out of layers with different lighting, and not be creative with all the technology at hand. Maybe I'll come to the point of seeing it as an interesting challenge

Edit: like the bike-portrait, by the way.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/

Last edited by julesstoop : 2010-05-20 at 22:59.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-05-26, 20:28

Just a reminder....
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-05-26, 21:06

I'm taking mine this weekend. I already know basically how I'm composing it.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-05-26, 22:14

What's going on here? Is this national self-portrait month or something? Or do we have some stealthy Gizmodo forum members lurking...hmm..
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-05-26, 22:53

Unsurprising that the Giz would rip us off.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-05-27, 18:44

Alright, you knew this one was coming.

I call it: No Shame.

(click for larger, not that you probably want to)

Pretty much everything you need to know about me is captured in that photo. I took a few others, and I think this one comes second:

This one's more "mad scientist" than "loony gamer", though, since I've got the custom high-powered Nerf gun and black rubber glove. I guess either term is appropriate...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-05-27, 21:34

I'm seeing Harold Ramis - Ghostbuster era.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-06-08, 09:07

Just a reminder to get your entries in. We only have one brave (very brave) entry so far. Contest closes on June 15 at midnight Pacific (NA) time.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2010-06-08, 13:26

Not forgotten: I have an shot in my mind, but probably won't have the time to do it until next weekend.
Foj
Veteran Member

2010-06-08, 14:49

I'll get mine in soon. I can't let Brad win by default.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-06-08, 15:17

I have something, but I want to get something better. Makes me wish I still had my point and shoot with flipping screen, would have made the process so much easier.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-06-08, 15:19

Given the lack of responses, I think it might be safe to extend this competition by a few days.

Waddya say, Chinney?

(To be honest, I'm not too surprised by the lack of responses. Internet People™ tends to be hermits who fear the light and dare not reveal their visages to the world at large. That's right, freaks: I'm calling you out! Get some FaceTime up in this thread!)
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2010-06-08, 17:32

Self portraits are notoriously difficult to do as well and you can't just sort of create the mood you need to be in for taking one out of thin air. I would have some slightly older ones to submit, but the rule that they have to be shot within the temporal constraints of the monthly contest, doesn't really help.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-06-08, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop View Post
Self portraits are notoriously blah blah blah
I'm hearing excuses, not shutter clicks! Get those cameras moving, people!
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-06-08, 18:40

Plus, you don't have to reveal your face to do a good self-portrait, so hermits can still submit.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-06-08, 22:31

I haven't forgotten, just haven't been able to do it yet. In fact, I haven't even figured out what I'm going to do.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-06-08, 23:01

Ach - I might just extend the deadline then...if there is interest in submitting.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2010-06-12, 08:28

So I finally got the time to make my entry. I originally wanted to do a clone shot "pseudo making of" in addition to the portrait itself. But the result of the portrait shot was much more boring than the making of, so I took another quick & dirty self portrait with my fisheye lens as my official entry:

(My nose was only a few millimeters away from the lens surface. The strange frame is the lens shade (the lens is a DX lens mounted on a FX format camera)

Here's the clone shot (not for the contest, as it violates the "no heavy manipulation" rule:

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-06-12, 22:31

Okay, I think this will have to do. I was kind of hoping to do something that better shows what I like to do, but I cannot hold my camera in my hands and take the shot so... I just have my camera bag on my back.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-06-12, 23:30

What I do in my free time... take trips/hike/make fun of Canada (in the distance beyond Strait of Juan De Fuca)...

Hand held Canon 20D...
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-06-13, 09:09

I'm glad to see that we are getting some entries - keep them coming.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-06-17, 19:36

I'll keep this open until Sunday June 20, midnight Pacific time, to see if we can get a few more entries.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-06-20, 10:43

Just a reminder.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-06-20, 21:23

Here's mine:

Why this shot, because it's something I get to do so rarely that I love it when I can. This was taken ISO 200, 46mm, 10s f/5.6. The blinding light you see is my Aquarium screensaver that isn't really that bright.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2010-06-20 at 22:28. Reason: Noticed a typo...again
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-06-21, 09:13

The contest submission period is up! The entries are being rolled up and submitted for evaluation. The judging process will soon be underway. Results will be announced later today.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-06-21, 21:09

It's too bad that there were not more entries, but so be it. I'll evaluate the photos in the order that they were submitted.

Brad: A fun pic, featuring a large collection of 'things', but that does not really work for me at the underlying level to convey the person. No gut reaction.

GSpotter: I especially like the second pic - what he referred to on his website as his 'clone' pic - as a tribute to a type of photo that dates back, I believe, to the 19th century. Stylishly done, with his usual mastery of the craft and with a sense of humour. But that was not his entry (and could not be under the rules). The actual entry also has a sense of humour and the technical chops but, in its own way like Brad's, did not grab me at the emotional level as conveying the person. (Ironically, the second pic did that much more: I see curiosity, technique, and patience.)

PB: I like the colours and the backdrop. It reminds me of a Beatles poster that I had on my walls when I was a kid. It is really just a quick snap though. As PB said "this will have to do". Competent, but not showing the 'love' he has for his other photos.

Billybobsky: Staring right into the camera - a challenging, intense look - in front of a vast space. Billybobsky vs. the Universe. Or maybe Billybobsky and the Universe vs. Us. Maybe not a technically perfect photo, but it has 'soul". I really quite like it. First prize.

Turtle: Father's Day. Enough said. Runner-up

Thanks to all of you for submitting your photos. Over to you Billybob for the next theme. With any luck there will be more entries.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Last edited by Chinney : 2010-06-21 at 21:51. Reason: spelling