Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

State license plates

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
State license plates
Windswept
On Pacific time

2014-03-07, 16:38

(I tried to find an online chart so the state plates could be viewed side by side and at a glance, with each plate sized larger by clicking on it, but I couldn't find one. If anyone else finds such a chart, please point it out, because that would be easier to use.)

Just curious as to which state license plates appeal visually, aesthetically to our members. Also, which state motto do you like the best. I'm putting up a site and I hope the plates are current and accurate enough. (use the second site)

http://www.theus50.com/licenses-state.php

http://www.ricksplates.com/uscurrent.htm

If you have time, please pick out the 5-7 license plates that you think are the most appealing. Then, of those, choose the *one* that you like the most, and explain what you like about it. Also, tell us a state motto that you like. When I say "motto," I mean, for example, Texas' motto "Lone Star State." Motto is probably not the right word to use. But, again:

1) pick out 5-7 plates you like the most

2) choose *one* of those that is your favorite

3) pick a motto or two that you like

This is a silly thread for when you have some time to kill. Thanks for any replies.

Plates I think are appealing:

1) Alabama - a coastal scene with shoreline reeds and the cool motto "Sweet Home"

2) Idaho - red, white and blue with mountains and the not so great motto "Famous Potatoes"

3) Mississippi - a nice sunset with a lighthouse in the center

4) Wyoming - a bucking bronco with the Gran Teton Mtns. in the background

5) Texas - blue and white land and sky; Lone Star State

6) North Dakota - a day scene with a buffalo on the side and the sort of blah motto "peace garden state"

7) Ohio - a scene with a cityscape and farmland, and a biplane in the corner, with the slightly odd motto "Beautiful birthplace of aviation." I think 'beautiful' is an odd adjective there, but oh well...

Favorite plate

Of all these, I guess I like the red, white and blue of the Idaho plate the best. I think they could have put a better motto than one about potatoes.

Motto

I think Alaska used to have a dark blue plate showing the big dipper in gold stars, which I think is their state flag, iirc. And I love their motto "Land of the Midnight Sun." It sounds so exotic and intriguing. That would definitely be my favorite motto, though currently their plate mentions statehood instead of the midnight sun. New Mexico's "Land of Enchantment" is nice, as is New Hampshire's "Live Free or Die," though that one's a bit dramatic, don't you think? I do like it because it reminds us of our history and what our forebearers endured for our freedom. But I like Alaska's by far the most.

Last edited by Windswept : 2014-03-07 at 18:32.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-07, 17:17

FWIW, that site doesn't have current plate designs. I have no idea about other states, but NC only used the red for the numbers for a brief period a few years ago.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Quagmire
meh

2014-03-07, 17:20

I like MD's new license plate.

Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2014-03-07, 17:35

I've always loved Minnesota's plates. Granted, I'm from there, so that might be my bias.

And in the nearly 10 years that I've lived in Ohio, I think they've changed the license plate at least three times. It's kind of crazy.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-03-07, 17:36

Texas' new plate is pretty boring but I liked the previous one:

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-03-07, 17:50

DC: Taxation Without Representation
Windswept
On Pacific time

2014-03-07, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
FWIW, that site doesn't have current plate designs. I have no idea about other states, but NC only used the red for the numbers for a brief period a few years ago.
I was afraid that might be the case. Well, I'll see if I can find a better site. Thanks for letting me know.

Edit:

Okay, take a quick look at this site, anyone, and let me know if these are more current. Thanks for the help.

http://www.ricksplates.com/uscurrent.htm

Click on the plate, and it should get larger. Don't know why this guy has plates missing, because they're supposed to be current.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2014-03-07, 18:30

Oh, and on some of Alaska's plates, I just noticed, their motto is "The Last Frontier," but I could have sworn they had "Land of the Midnight Sun" on their plates at some point. *sigh*
Windswept
On Pacific time

2014-03-07, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
I like MD's new license plate.

That *is* nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naderfan View Post
I've always loved Minnesota's plates. Granted, I'm from there, so that might be my bias.

And in the nearly 10 years that I've lived in Ohio, I think they've changed the license plate at least three times. It's kind of crazy.
I liked the Minnesota plate I saw, and the Ohio one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Texas' new plate is pretty boring but I liked the previous one:

I like all the stars and the moon, and the guy on horseback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
DC: Taxation Without Representation
Is that really their motto?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2014-03-07, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post

Is that really their motto?

Even Obama has them on his official cars.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-03-07, 20:43

Okay, not an American plate, but I like the BC 2010 Winter Olympic Plates.

Eugene
careful with axes

2014-03-07, 21:21

Plates I think a visually appealing (in no particular order)

1) New York - Color choice of navy blue and mustard yellow, curved text and separator.

2) Iowa - Faint silhouettes of a modern skyline behind more prominent line drawings of a farm.

3) Oklahoma - Graphic depiction on the side, not the middle. "Native America" has a few implications.

4) Colorado - Backdrop of the Rockies, nothing else needed.

5) Arizona - Great use of color.

6) California - Simplicity wins. Scripted "California" hints of a casual, laid-back attitude.

Favorite

I gravitated toward the New York plate. It's simple and readable, but it has just enough flavor to look good. They could have straightened out the "New York" and "Empire State," and hardly anyone would have noticed. I'm glad they didn't.

Motto

California's Eureka! Dare to be Greek. Or if we're just referring to license plates, Alaska's The Last Frontier.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-03-07, 23:06

I'm kinda partial to this one:

It's not the style I have on my cars though.
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-08, 05:48

I have become enamoured by the consistent simplicity of European license plates...
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2014-03-08, 10:31

Ohio's is no longer the farm one. It's a red, white, and blue design with pearlized words in the background about everything the state is famous for having/doing. You have to be close to see them, but they don't distract on the road at all. Nice effect when you get close enough to read them, though.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-03-08, 13:00

I just noticed that the originally linked site above doesn't even remotely represent the plate options here in Virginia. From the DMV's site:
Quote:
Browse more than 200 special license plates categorized alphabetically, by type, or search by name - all with convenient thumbnail views to help you make your selection.
Seems our state makes it relatively easy to create your own plate design too!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2014-03-08, 17:41

The plates in the states near me have gotten worse over the decades in my view. Pennsylvania used to have a nice blue plate with gold numbers with the Keystone symbol in the middle. Then they added the "You've Got a Friend" at the top which was okay. Today they have this horrible white with blue and gold with some stupid URL at the bottom. Thank God you only need one plate in PA. The new New York plates are nice. It's a rehash of a plate from a few decades ago. Not as nice though. Connecticut used to have a nice all blue plate with white lettering. The current one is much worse. Delaware still has a simple plate that hasn't changed much. I've seen a few cool black ones from there too but not sure if they are still available.

Of course here in NJ we have had really bad plates for decades.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2014-03-08, 19:43

I like South Carolina's. I think the blue up top, red on the bottom, looks like a sunset, and the moon and tree silhouette is nice.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2014-03-09, 16:16

Some nice plates

Not the current one, probably, but nice anyway.

This is pretty.

Last edited by Windswept : 2014-03-09 at 16:46.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2014-03-09, 16:35

Specialty plates are nice too if you find some that you like.

This "gold rush" plate shows men trudging up the hill from Skagway, loaded down with supplies, headed for the gold fields in the Yukon on the other side of the mountain. Many died on the way.

I love this one for the state parks.

Last edited by Windswept : 2014-03-09 at 17:28.