User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 15 of 15 First Previous 11 12 13 14 [15]  Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-02-14, 13:33

Stranger Things returns...from Russia with love.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2020-02-20, 12:12

Hs anyone else been watching The Crown? My wife and I are in the first season, and absolutely love it! John Lithgow is a chameleon! The acting has thus far been brilliant, the story exceptional, and the character of Queen Elizabeth II is very approachable and relatable as a person. I honestly thought this show was going to bore me to death, but I have been very pleasantly engaged.

I especially love how they make Elizabeth a woman with real feelings and emotions and love, and not just some celebrity parading about with her nose in the air.

I've never been a fan of the whole English love for their royalty and all that, but this show has presented it so well that I can understand why they adore that woman so fondly.

Boise State! … Boise State! … Boise State!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

Send a message via AIM to Yontsey Send a message via Skype™ to Yontsey 
2020-02-20, 18:00

Absolutely loved seasons 1 and 2. I haven't watched 3 yet but I find it weird that they did an entire cast switch for seasons 3 and 4 and are planning on it again for season 5 to change with the ages and eras.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2020-02-24, 11:58

I haven't made it far enough to see the cast switching, but I prefer it to makeup.
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2020-02-24, 13:43

About the only series/episodic/fiction show I've watched in years, Better Call Saul had its fifth season premiere last night on AMC (and continues tonight at 9pm in its normal time-slot).

Oddly enough, I never watched Breaking Bad (which this show is a prequel to), so I know I'm missing some of the subtle tie-ins/references, but I'm able to get the big ones just fine.

It's an odd show that can manage to be so quirky/funny and menacing/brutal. There are two major plot lines carrying out and the one involving the McGill/Goodman character is usually quite funny, but the one involving the Mike Ehrmantraut(sp?) and the folks he runs into/works with is so unsettling and tense to watch. I'm just always braced for a gunshot or face-punch or some other violent act.

But good stuff, all around. A very engaging show that I just happened to watch the very first episode of years ago and got hooked, so I've followed ever since (although the past two seasons have had way too long of a gap between, like Stranger Things making it increasingly tough to stay engaged). Odd how traditional network shows can have 23-26 episodes a season, take 3-4 months off and be back in the fall for a whole new batch. But all these new cable or streaming shows (Better Call Saul, The Sopranos, Stranger Things, The Walking Dead, etc.) have these tiny 8-12 episode "seasons"/installments, and then take 9-18 months between each season/batch. I guess maybe they're focusing on the writing/production more than Murder She Wrote and Family Matters, I don't know. If that's the case, then I'm okay with it because - at least in the case of The Sopranos and Better Call Saul - it's worth it, and the work/effort shows (can't really say the same for the tiresome zombie apocalypse survivors and the shot-its-wad-three-years-ago 80's fest with the weird little girl and her bike-riding buddies...those two shows seem to be getting worse/off the rails with each new batch).

I think I heard somewhere that this is the final season, so I imagine the last 1-2 episodes will probably be done in some way to dovetail into what was the beginning of Breaking Bad. I figure a Bryan Cranston/Walter White cameo isn't even out of the question, as they're already using three major characters from that show (Saul Goodman, Mike Ehrmantraut, Gus Fring) as the basis for this one (plus quite a few other as well).

PS - I love Kim Wexler. But I fear/dread what's likely to come for the character, seeing as how she was never in BB. But the optimist in me is going to hope she just eventually tires of Jimmy/Saul's shenanigans and moves away (vs. being brutally murdered in the desert by Mexican drug cartel types). The latter will be heartbreaking, as she's really the only decent, normal character on the show. I hope she gets a happy, or even a neutral, wrap-up to her arc.

Last edited by pscates2.0 : 2020-02-24 at 14:00.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2020-02-24, 14:32

Better Call Saul is awesome! And it better be, considering it's from the creators of Breaking Bad, which is awesome!

We're watching it alongside The Crown and The Kalinski Method, which are also awesome.

It's interesting watching the development of Saul Goodman. Clearly he comes from a jaded past filled with corrupt hypocrites that lead him down the road to representing deadbeats and drug lords. I suspect that Kim's death/leaving will be a driving force toward that end, a place where the man just totally gives up and sells himself out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Oddly enough, I never watched Breaking Bad (which this show is a prequel to), so I know I'm missing some of the subtle tie-ins/references, but I'm able to get the big ones just fine.
You should watch it. Best TV drama ever conceived as far as I'm concerned.

Boise State! … Boise State! … Boise State!

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-02-24 at 14:55.