User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

WIE update to deliver double surrender

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
WIE update to deliver double surrender
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-10-05, 10:34

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...-7-update.aspx:
Quote:
Because Microsoft takes its commitment to help protect the entire Windows ecosystem seriously,
(Are we running out of buzzwords yet? Every manager at Microsoft who uses the term "ecosystem" ever again ought to be fired on the spot.)

Quote:
we’re updating the IE7 installation experience to make it available as broadly as possible to all Windows users.
That is a brilliant concept! Guess competitors haven't thought of that. Wait a minute.

Quote:
With today’s “Installation and Availability Update,” Internet Explorer 7 installation will no longer require Windows Genuine Advantage validation and will be available to all Windows XP users.
Yay!

No, I suppose that really is a step in the right direction. Wouldn't it have been even more beneficial, in light of things like Storm, to get rid of WGA when it comes to any Windows security update?

Quote:
If you are already running IE7, you will not be offered IE7 again by Automatic Updates.
You don't say.

Quote:
Additionally, we’ve made minor changes to IE7 for Windows XP based on customer feedback:

The menu bar is now visible by default.
Double-yay! Common sense has prevailed, users have voted, this new invention of pull-down menus is really taking o…

…wait.

Okay, so the two noteworthy changes in this update are steps back. What does that tell you? Things aren't looking good for this browser.

Meanwhile, guess what browser has the highest growth rate, and which one has lost the most.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-10-10, 13:24

That storm worm is some scary shit. Crap like this makes me glad that Mac security is so much tighter.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-10-10, 18:43

Some would beg to differ, the only difference is (in the opinion of some in the IT industry) that there just isn't anyone taking advantage of the holes in OSX's security (an advantage of smaller market share, and a different coding language than a Windows NT based OS).
JohnnyTheA

2007-10-10, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Some would beg to differ, the only difference is (in the opinion of some in the IT industry) that there just isn't anyone taking advantage of the holes in OSX's security (an advantage of smaller market share, and a different coding language than a Windows NT based OS).

Well, that might be somewhat true. But I do know that just by browsing websites, Safari won't install s/w on my computer without my knowing about it. IE has allowed this for a long time.

JTA
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-10-11, 07:29

Does he look like he cares?

Last edited by Mugge : 2007-10-11 at 08:29.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-10-11, 07:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post

Does he look like he cares?

Psst, you have a stray www. in your URL.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-10-11, 07:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Psst, you have a stray www. in your URL.
Huh? I only see one "www", yet the image is not showing. I thought it was just my connection being slow, though. What do you mean?

*tries to delete "www"*

WTF?! Why did that help? Are we no longer using "www"?

Now my joke looks really bad because I', n00bing on the net and thus have no right to point any fingers!

Last edited by Mugge : 2007-10-11 at 08:32.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-10-11, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTheA View Post
Well, that might be somewhat true. But I do know that just by browsing websites, Safari won't install s/w on my computer without my knowing about it. IE has allowed this for a long time.

JTA
Tell that to everyone exploiting the TIFF buffer overflow in Safari for the iPhone.
chucker

2007-10-11, 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
Huh? I only see one "www"
"Stray" doesn't mean "duplicate" or "multiple", just "superfluous"/"doesn't belong there".

Quote:
WTF?! Why did that help? Are we no longer using "www"?
Well actually, www.homepage.mac.com does point to a host, but a different one, and apparently one that's inaccessible outside the Apple firewall.

Code:
$ host homepage.mac.com homepage.mac.com has address 17.250.248.34 $ host www.homepage.mac.com www.homepage.mac.com has address 17.254.3.222
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-10-11, 09:36

Hmmm. It worked the last time I used it, a month ago or something like that.

Actually I thought it was irrelevant whether "www" is included or not.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-10-11, 10:01

something about subdirectories and defaults and such.... I think that some hosts allow you to create subdirectories and to reach those subdirectories in a cool way... ie,

turns this:
www.apple.com/iphone

into

iphone.apple.com

I think one of my hosts allows it but I haven't tried it in recent memory....

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-10-11, 10:17

For a long time, I used to refer to this forums as at www.forums.applenova.com, and it does work but there were some odd behaviors that Brad claimed was result of using www prefix which doesn't belong in the address (I say claimed because I could not reproduce the behavior such as blocking images consistently and therefore am not completely positive it was the source). After an VB update, it's now good for impressing ladies.
chucker

2007-10-11, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
For a long time, I used to refer to this forums as at www.forums.applenova.com
Why, though? It's longer, and it doesn't add any useful information.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-10-11, 10:36

I think people don't understand that the "www" is the same as any other subdomain reference (although www usually works by default, which is not the case with other subdomains). People think www is required.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-10-11, 10:49

Exactly.
However, all you need to do is to point them toward advertisements that eschew the use of the subd

okay, nevermind.
I just used the word 'eschew'.
I'm going to go away for awhile now.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-10-11, 11:02

Torifile is spot on. I used to think that was the case, before I learned that it's parsed backward, the .com/.org/.edu being the top level domain and progressing downward. Before then, I thought WWW was a special subnet of Internet that's somehow more searchable. Now it seems to be simply a common named subdomain which is stored as a folder on one's server.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-10-11, 11:19

Quote:
Torifile is spot on. I used to think that was the case, before I learned that it's parsed backward, the .com/.org/.edu being the top level domain and progressing downward. Before then, I thought WWW was a special subnet of Internet that's somehow more searchable. Now it seems to be simply a common named subdomain which is stored as a folder on one's server.
"host.subdomain.domain" where domain=TLD (or Top-Level Domain). It could also be described as "host.subdomain.domain.tld" or whatever...

It's just the human remember-able representation of an IP address. Shove a name in a name server, turn the crank, and you get an IP address out. That's what is really is being used - the IP address.

Once it "gets there" the story can change though, if you figure virtual servers using a single IP address...
chucker

2007-10-11, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
Shove a name in a name server, turn the crank, and you get an IP address out. That's what is really is being used - the IP address.
Not entirely true with HTTP, though: you can have multiple hosts point to the same IP address and yet deliver entirely different websites, thanks to the Host header.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-10-11, 11:31

Quote:
Not entirely true with HTTP, though: you can have multiple hosts point to the same IP address and yet deliver entirely different websites, thanks to the Host header.
You are absolutely correct.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-10-11, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I think people don't understand that the "www" is the same as any other subdomain reference (although www usually works by default, which is not the case with other subdomains). People think www is required.
Aha!

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-10-11, 15:08

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how would it be resolved if one were to enter an IP directly for such server holding multiple websites? (e.g. how does it decides which website to return without any header?)
chucker

2007-10-11, 15:20

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how would it be resolved if one were to enter an IP directly for such server holding multiple websites? (e.g. how does it decides which website to return without any header?)
It wouldn't. When entering an IP, no Host header is sent, and the Web server will revert to the default.

Example: chucker.mystfans.com resolves to 216.127.69.124. Going to http://216.127.69.124, however, gives you a generic error message unrelated to my site.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-10-11, 16:58

Quote:
It wouldn't. When entering an IP, no Host header is sent, and the Windows Internet Explorer blows ass hard.
Aha!

Thanks for your clarification!