User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Snow! Snow! How much I love and hate Snow!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Snow! Snow! How much I love and hate Snow!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Quagmire
meh

2006-02-12, 11:58

I can't imagine how much snow New York and Boston is getting. Here in the DC area, we have at least a foot of snow. I really do love the snow. So beautiful. Yet how much I hate tons of snow. Out there snow blowing it. Our 10 HP blower is really struggling. It took me 30 minutes to get one trip done down our driveway. Heres hoping for no school tomorrow.

PS: Hands are so numb. Can't type. Just beginning to get feeling back.

giggity
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-02-12, 12:02

We got ~10" or so 60miles west of philly which is a good amount. I don't like this type of snow though, the streets were plowed and melted to just a wet driving condition in no time. I like the kind that they plow and plow and can't get it off the street and stays for a couple days. It's just more fun.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2006-02-12, 12:09

I got about 2 feet in northern NJ. and it's still going strong.
ast3r3x

2006-02-12, 12:12

Should I note that I want more? I am moving up north when I get older.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-02-12, 12:12

We've got 15", and a LOT more to come... It's noon as I write this, and the snow is supposed to continue until 9PM...

(Central Mass. for those who were wondering)
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-02-12, 12:20

Hey Quagmire, if your snow blower can't hack it I have something that may help.

Ingenious, I know.

Last edited by Barto : 2006-02-12 at 22:40.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-02-12, 12:40

We got robbed down here. Not a flake in sight. They said 30% chance, dammit!

I actually miss snow, though having it come down on sunday morning is pretty pointless from a work/school point of view.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-12, 12:41

DC?

Pfft.

Go and live in Rochester or other area that are affected by lake effect.

You will truly know the meaning of snow.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-12, 13:04

Yah I bet areas around Buffalo are getting hammered. A foot's not that bad, it's just bad for DC.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-02-12, 13:10

Just moved up here, staying in Fishkill at the moment, and it's about 8-9". Piffle. Here I kept getting told I'd get real snow up here. Sheesh.

Now if I were in NYC, I'd be whining about it being too much of course, so...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-12, 13:13

You hangin' out with the homies at the IBM chip fab?
HOM
The Elder™

2006-02-12, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Just moved up here, staying in Fishkill at the moment, and it's about 8-9". Piffle. Here I kept getting told I'd get real snow up here. Sheesh.

Now if I were in NYC, I'd be whining about it being too much of course, so...
Well, we got over 2 ft here in Brooklyn and it's still coming down.

Don't hear me complaining, except for the pain in the ass it was to walk home last night from the bars at 4AM.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-12, 13:18

Hey at least when you fall into two feet of snow it doesn't hurt as bad. Better than pavement.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-02-12, 13:19

Naw, I'm going to be based in the Yorktown Heights Watson Research lab - Fishkill is just where I was to find not-quite-insane prices for housing for a week. Just grabbed a place in Ossining, not sure what the snowfall down there is. Might be interesting moving in tomorrow.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-12, 13:28

Yah, definitely a bad weekend to move to New York. Good luck!
Quagmire
meh

2006-02-12, 13:41

Done snow blowing. And here is the fun part. We needed to move our Suburban. There was at least 5" in front of it. I got in. Whipped the Suburban into 4wd. And drove over the 5" of snow.

giggity
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-12, 13:42

When I went to bed last night (around midnight), it was cold and clear outside. When I woke up around 9am, I opened my blinds and was greeted with the sight 2-3" snow everywhere!

Wasn't expecting it, so quite a nice little surprise. Looked like a Christmas card, all around me.

However, it wasn't deep or thick (and I'm assuming the ground wasn't that cold and frozen) because now, at 1:40pm (four-plus hours later), it's ALL gone, melted away.

Apparently it came in around 3am and lasted for about 3-4 hours.

I did go on my porch, reach over into the yard and make a snowball to throw (that's a rule, you know).

Unch

2006-02-12, 13:57

We had 5 maybe 6 inches in places over xmas, needless to say everything came to a complete standstill. If we had of reached 7" they would of had to call in the Army

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."
ast3r3x

2006-02-12, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
DC?

Pfft.

Go and live in Rochester or other area that are affected by lake effect.

You will truly know the meaning of snow.
Done dick sizing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
Done snow blowing. And here is the fun part. We needed to move our Suburban. There was at least 5" in front of it. I got in. Whipped the Suburban into 4wd. And drove over the 5" of snow.
Of course they let you move it, 5"? The burban is a beast, that would rip through 3x that
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-02-12, 14:13

What the fuck? You needed 4x4 to drive through 5 inches of snow?

I'm sure any little car on the market can handle that, man.

I guess you need to justify buying that big POS?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-02-12, 14:22

No kidding!

Hell, 5" of snow? My wife's Accord could get through that.

Try 18" of snow up a one-lane gravel canyon road in a Jeep sometime... I actually *did* have to put it in 4WD. For about 10'.

When it comes to driving in snow, the driver is more important than the vehicle.

And remember... 4WD *ONLY* helps you go. It does not help you turn, slow down, avoid, brake, or stop. So many trendy SUV owners tend to forget that.

Last edited by Kickaha : 2006-02-12 at 14:33.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-12, 14:42

lol, my three year old daughter drove her little pedal car through 5" of snow this morning!

Wait, there isn't any snow down here. And I don't have a daughter. But if there was, and if I had, she totally would have ...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-12, 14:43

Please tell me he means "5 feet".

I've driven over 5" curbs in my Saturn, for crying out loud.
Quagmire
meh

2006-02-12, 14:44

Quote:
No kidding!

Hell, 5" of snow? My wife's Accord could get through that.

Try 18" of snow up a one-lane gravel canyon road in a Jeep sometime... I actually *did* have to put it in 4WD. For about 10'.

When it comes to driving in snow, the driver is more important than the vehicle.

And remember... 4WD *ONLY* helps you go. It does not help you turn, slow down, avoid, brake, or stop. So many trendy SUV owners tend to forget that.
It is because your wifes accord is FWD, while the Burban is RWD. We should all know FWD is better in snow then RWD. But, yeah I could of kept the Suburban in 2wd and get past 5" of snow easily. I just wanted to experience it. Those trendy SUV drivers are morons. What 4wd does is only supply power to the front wheels. Help me turn? Ha! The Suburban fights me when in 4wd when steering due to the torque steer! Slow down? How did those people think that up? It doesn't help one bit. Brake or stop? Look back at previous response. Avoid? How? Quadrasteer is better for that, not 4wd.

giggity
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-02-12, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
What 4wd does is only supply power to the front wheels.
You have four wheels on the front of your vehicle? Because I could swear that *4*WD means power to all *4* wheels.

Ahhhh, you meant on *your* vehicle it adds power to the front wheels, making four.

Did you have it in 4WD H, or 4WD L? L locks the differentials, so you aren't *supposed* to be able to steer much, if at all.
Quagmire
meh

2006-02-12, 15:17

Quote:
You have four wheels on the front of your vehicle? Because I could swear that *4*WD means power to all *4* wheels.

Ahhhh, you meant on *your* vehicle it adds power to the front wheels, making four.

Did you have it in 4WD H, or 4WD L? L locks the differentials, so you aren't *supposed* to be able to steer much, if at all.

Good thing your Dr. title was taken away because doctors aren't supposed to be jerks. I had in on 4wd H. Yes, I did mean it adds power to the front wheels while still sending power to the rear.

giggity
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-12, 15:21

Good call Quag. It's AWD, not 4WD that can help when maneuvering on snow covered roads. Add to that fact that almost all SUVs are top heavy / have a high center of gravity and you have an even worse recipe for controlling the vehicle in bad conditions. Not to mention our good friend intertia. Americans have been hoodwinked into thinking SUVs are better for maintaining control...

...into the light of a dark black night.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-02-12, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
lol, my three year old daughter drove her little pedal car through 5" of snow this morning!

Wait, there isn't any snow down here. And I don't have a daughter. But if there was, and if I had, she totally would have ...
This made me love life. Even after shoveling a 150'x15' driveway that was covered in 18" of snow by myself.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-02-12, 16:31

I'm royally pissed at our piddlin' 2" right now. I'm in Maine, I was expecting at least 12". At this rate the snow will sublimate by next weekend and we'll be back to the frozen, windy tundra that seems the be the norm this year. I'm not even sure if we've yet to top 20" total this year.

Oh, how I miss Syracuse and its 130" (avg.) winters.

[EDIT]Actually, I also just checked the temp outside and determined that it is still too cold (12ºF) for a good heavy snow. So all we're getting is fine powder.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

Last edited by Elysium : 2006-02-12 at 16:44.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-02-12, 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
We got robbed down here. Not a flake in sight. They said 30% chance, dammit!

I actually miss snow, though having it come down on sunday morning is pretty pointless from a work/school point of view.
I saw a few flurries around 3pm this afternoon. It lasted about 5 minutes. I was hoping I'd get at least one paid snow day before I go out on my own and missing a day of work means missing out on a day of pay. That's sucks.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.