User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Intel-based Mac Firmware Update 1.0

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Intel-based Mac Firmware Update 1.0
VERSACE

2006-04-05, 11:03

Click here to choose the right firmware updater.
Quote:
MacBook Pro (Intel) Firmware Update 1.0

About this update

This update is for MacBook Pro computers with Intel processors only.
Note: Print or write down these instructions before you begin the update.

To update the firmware on your Intel-based MacBook Pro:

1. Quit all other open applications.

2. Click Shut Down in the MacBook Pro Firmware Updater window and wait for your computer to shut down.

3. Press and hold the power button on your MacBook Pro until the power indicator light flashes repeatedly to begin the update.

A status bar indicates the progress of the update.

Important: Do not interrupt the update.

Your computer restarts automatically when the update is completed and opens the MacBook Pro Firmware Updater.

4. Click OK, if the firmware is now up-to-date.

If these instructions appear on your screen again, the firmware update was not successful. Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4.

For more information, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n303364
NB:
This firmware update fixes the MacBook Pro 'processor whine' issue.

Last edited by VERSACE : 2006-04-05 at 11:25.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-05, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by VERSACE
NB:
This firmware update fixes the MacBook Pro 'processor whine' issue.
Source?

I was under the impression this update is for Boot Camp.
graphik

2006-04-05, 13:07

Should normal users install this updated firmware?
tacvbo83

2006-04-05, 13:23

what do u mean by normal users? I installed it already but I am at work so I wont notice any improvements as of today
Dr_LHA

2006-04-05, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphik
Should normal users install this updated firmware?
I'd stick with the normal rule of thumb. Don't install it if you don't need it.

Seriously, if your computer is working flawlessly, then don't bother. However if you want to install Boot Camp, or you have an issue with your machine like the MacBook whine, then go ahead this may help you.
graphik

2006-04-05, 13:54

I went ahead and installed it. No problems at all. This bootcamp thing is pretty interesting.
tacvbo83

2006-04-05, 14:41

i installed the firmware succesfully and it still makes the whinning sound that gets fixed with PhotoBooth.
VERSACE

2006-04-05, 15:21

Edit:

This firmware update does NOT fix the MacBook Pro 'processor whine' issue.
Ominx

2006-04-05, 19:54

My MBP is showing MBP11.0044.B02 (the update should bring it to MBP11.0055.B02), yet when I try to run the firmware updater it states, "Alert This computer does not need this update". I'm connected to AC power and am running 10.4.6. I have obviously never updated the firmware yet as the above Boot ROM Version idicates. So, is there something I am doing wrong here?

Thanks
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-05, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominx
My MBP is showing MBP11.0044.B02 (the update should bring it to MBP11.0055.B02), yet when I try to run the firmware updater it states, "Alert This computer does not need this update". I'm connected to AC power and am running 10.4.6. I have obviously never updated the firmware yet as the above Boot ROM Version idicates. So, is there something I am doing wrong here?

Thanks
Are you sure you picked the right firmware updater, i.e., the one for the MBP, rather than the one for the iMac or the Mac mini?

Also, do you have XOM/OnMac installed?
Ominx

2006-04-05, 21:12

I definitely have the MBP Firmware. As for XOM/OnMac...I'm not even sure what that is.

EDIT: No... I don't have either XOM/OnMac installed.

Last edited by Ominx : 2006-04-05 at 21:20.
chucker

2006-04-05, 21:27

XOM/OnMac, as I figure you found out by now , is the third-party solution to installing Windows on a Mac, before Apple's Boot Camp came about. XOM is known to cause problems with Apple's firmware update.

Since you're not using it anyway, though, that's clearly not the problem. I can't think of anything else right now.
solstace

2006-04-05, 21:56

The processor whine is something I've gotten used to with just about every recent laptop I've come to use in the last year or two, so it doesn't worry me that my MBP "suffers" from this issue.

As for the firmware update itself, no problems to report here - if anything I'm seeing a slight improvement in the speed of the machine - anyone else found this?
Ominx

2006-04-06, 09:03

I was able to manually extract MacBook Pro Firmware Updater.app from the package using Pacifist and the update went smoothly. It then occured to me that maybe installer.app was running in Rosetta...low and behold. I had changed it to install Flip4Mac and forgot to change it back.

So there you go.