Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iMac EFI 1.1 Update now available

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac EFI 1.1 Update now available
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
irnchriz

2006-11-13, 19:51

Heres the details copied from the Apple support site. Link: http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...eupdate11.html
The update is dated 13th November 2006

--
About this update

This EFI Firmware Update fixes several Boot Camp, start up, and wake-from-sleep issues on iMac computers.

After the firmware update is successfully applied to your computer, your Boot ROM Version will be:
IM41.0055.B08 (early 2006)
IM42.0071.B03 (17-inch mid 2006)
IM52.0090.B03 (17-inch late 2006 CD)
IM51.0090.B03 (20-inch late 2006)
IM61.0093.B01 (24-inch)

You can confirm the version of the Boot ROM installed on your computer using System Profiler.

Note: Print or write down these instructions before you begin the update.

To update the firmware on your Intel-based iMac:

1. Quit all other open applications.

2. Click Shut Down in the iMac EFI Firmware Update window and wait for your computer to shut down.

3. Press and hold the power button on your iMac until the power indicator light flashes repeatedly to begin the update.

A status bar indicates the progress of the update.

Important: Do not interrupt the update.

Your computer restarts automatically when the update is completed and opens the iMac EFI Firmware Update.

4. Click OK, if the firmware is now up-to-date.

If these instructions appear on your screen again, the firmware update was not successful. Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4.

For more information, please visit this website:http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n303364

Last edited by irnchriz : 2006-11-13 at 19:54. Reason: put the date of the update on and the link to the download
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-11-13, 19:54

Similar updates have been released for all the Intel Macs.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-13, 20:00

FWIW, installed on my 15-inch MBP C1D. Flawless.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-11-13, 20:28

I wonder if this will fix the lines on the display screen when the iMac wakes from sleep - or whether this is a separate graphics card issue? Will test now.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Shades of Blue

2006-11-13, 20:43

I haven't been having any problems, sleep-related or otherwise, with my 20" Core 2 Duo iMac. I sure hope this firmware update doesn't create them...
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-11-13, 21:33

ditto, Shades of Blue.... *takes deep breath* *clicks 'OK' in Software Update*
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-11-13, 21:54

No problems before, no problems after.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-11-13, 21:55

No probs here ... updated successfully - just waiting for sleep to kick in now and then I'll report back later.

I haven't heard of the flickering display problems (after sleep) with C2D models - my 20"iMac is an early 2006 model.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-11-13, 23:06

My MacBook seems to be fine. Smooth update, as always.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-11-14, 08:40

My iMac is fine. I'll update when I get home.

[off topic]But will Apple ever fix flurry so it doesn't make the lines across the screen?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-11-14, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
My MacBook seems to be fine.
I would hope so since you wouldn't have received this iMac-only update.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-11-14, 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I would hope so since you wouldn't have received this iMac-only update.
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
Similar updates have been released for all the Intel Macs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
FWIW, installed on my 15-inch MBP C1D. Flawless.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-11-14, 08:48

If anybody has any problems here's the restore software.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...ationcd12.html
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-11-14, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
Really?
Yes, really.

You and chucker downloaded different updates for different systems, putting you at different Boot ROM versions. Considering these the same thing would be a huge mistake.

In case you missed it, the only update specifically detailed here is the iMac EFI 1.1 Update.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-14, 09:15

Quote:
In case you missed it, the only update specifically detailed here is the iMac EFI 1.1 Update.
"Here" being the original post in the thread. It would be much more appropriate to rename the thread to, say, "New EFI Updates for all Intel Macs released between January through August" , since these were all released in one batch, and presumably, for the most part, have many changes in common.

Your point that one model's firmware update won't work on another model is well-taken, but I think it's obvious fcgriz was quite aware of that and was, in fact, referring to having successfully upgraded is (hopefully C1D) MacBook.

I'm a little surprised by your apparent discouraging of discussing successes or problems with non-iMac firmware updates; is creating separate threads for those really worth it?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-11-14, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
"Here" being the original post in the thread.
"Here" being the entire thread, since no one has actually pointed to any details about there being different updates for different hardware, only a vague statement that there are updates for all Intel-based Macs.

Quote:
I'm a little surprised by your apparent discouraging of discussing successes or problems with non-iMac firmware updates; is creating separate threads for those really worth it?
Seeing as the circumstances leading to the successes or problems are vastly different (ie. totally different hardware) and that anyone who doesn't read very closely may not see that these are in fact very much not the same update, yes.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

2006-11-14, 09:28

Quote:
"Here" being the entire thread, since no one has actually pointed to any details about there being different updates for different hardware, only a vague statement that there are updates for all Intel-based Macs.
Oh come on.

Firmware updates for:
Mac mini
Mac Pro
MacBook (Core 1 Duo only)
MacBook Pro (Core 1 Duo only)

There.

Four of these have the same exact release notes: "[This] fixes several Boot Camp, start up, and wake-from-sleep issues", with the fifth — the Mac Pro — having the slight variation of "[This] fixes several Boot Camp and start up issues". I.e., no wake-from-sleep issues fixed on the Mac Pro; presumably none to begin with since this was a much later-released Intel Mac, and therefore likely one with an evolved firmware in the first place. Same for Core 2 Duo MacBooks and MacBook Pros, which have been released later yet, and hence apparently don't need any of these fixes; they presumably already have them.

Quote:
Seeing as the circumstances leading to the successes or problems are vastly different (ie. totally different hardware) and that anyone who doesn't read very closely to see that these are in fact very much not the same update, yes.
But they are, for the most part, the very same update. The release notes strongly, strongly suggest this. There is no reason to believe that Apple would do vastly different firmwares on Macs that share large amounts of hardware and software.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-11-14, 09:33

Quote:
But they are, for the most part, the very same update.
Then why would Apple differentiate them at all?

Since they are all virtually the very same update, if there were some widespread problem with one of the updates, would it stand to reason that there should be widespread problems with all of them?

Quote:
The release notes strongly, strongly suggest this.
The release notes strongly suggest that the updates have the same effect on perceivable features, not that they are the same. Seeing that each of your links describe a different version number, I'd say the notes strongly suggest that they are different.

Quote:
There is no reason to believe that Apple would do vastly different firmwares on Macs that share large amounts of hardware and software.
They don't have to be so "vastly" different to be different. One bit of different can have a major effect. You should know that.

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-11-14, 09:36

Ahhhh, can't we just delete the last 7 posts? This argument never happened. Brad has the power to delete history.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-11-14, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie View Post
Ahhhh, can't we just delete the last 7 posts? This argument never happened. Brad has the power to delete history.
No, and just because you said so.
chucker

2006-11-14, 09:40

Quote:
[..]
Since they are all virtually the very same update, if there were some widespread problem with one of the updates, would it stand to reason that there should be widespread problems with all of them?
That was precisely why I believed it to be worthwhile to discuss all models' updates.

Quote:
The release notes strongly suggest that the updates have the same effect on perceivable features, not that they are the same.
I never said they are the same. There are obviously subtle differences per specific motherboard. But consider, for instance, that four out of five models share the same chipset series (945).

I say that they have a lot in common. Evidently, they have a lot of behaviour and features in common, and, according to these release notes, also a lot of issues. Ergo, it is conceivable that, yes, indeed, one model's firmware update problems could affect another, and would therefore be quite relevant to owners of the other.

E.g., random MacBook Pro owner says "after the firmware update, I cannot use the boot menu to select my Windows Vista installation partition any more; this worked just fine before!". Now, random iMac owner might think "well, I rely heavily on my Windows Vista installation, and while there's a restore CD that WR kindly pointed out, I just don't have the time to risk this; I shall wait for a few more days until more reports on this matter, and perhaps an official response and/or fix from Apple is in".

(To anyone reading, the above is a completely made-up, hypothetical scenario. I have not actually witnessed such a problem.)
chucker

2006-11-14, 09:41

Quote:
They don't have to be so "vastly" different to be different. One bit of different can have a major effect. You should know that.
I should and I do. It is for that very reason that, when I reported my results after upgrading, I specified exactly which model I have.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-11-14, 09:45

Update was fine. I love the fact that even the progress bar when you are installing firmware is pretty.
chucker

2006-11-14, 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Update was fine. I love the fact that even the progress bar when you are installing firmware is pretty.
Yes The firmware upgrade user interface is far superior to anything I've seen from PC brands. (Of course, BIOS does have some limitations in that regard, but that's not much of an excuse.)

Just a few weeks ago, I had to create one of those awful DOS boot disks to install the Award flash utility on. *shudders*
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-11-14, 12:36

Well, firmware updated on my 15" MBP C1D and things seems to be business as usual. The by far most entertaining thing about this was Brad and chuckers nitpicking in this thread.

steve77uk

Send a message via AIM to steve77uk Send a message via MSN to steve77uk Send a message via Skype™ to steve77uk 
2006-11-14, 14:39

Ladies... Ladies... you know it will all end in tears!!

I don't seem to be able to find any handbag related smilies on here!!

All threads tend to wander and touch on other matters before steering back on track... just take a deep breath, look at the blue november skies and relax...

Just to put my two-penneth in, mine ran OK too on my iMac 24, although the constant beeping did make me jump at 5.30am this morning - wondering if I had screwed it up!!

Brad, have a beer and take the rest of the day off!
dfiler
Veteran Member

2006-11-14, 16:29

Back on topic:
(Yes there was a topic )

I performed the update on my 2' iMac and all appears well.

It was a bit confusing because my computer didn't actually shutdown after clicking the shutdown button in the installer. Instead, I gave up after five minutes of baby blue screen and held down the power button. I was greeted by an appropriately primitive beep and non-aqua progress bar. Five minutes later, the system was ready to login.
chucker

2006-11-14, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
I performed the update on my 2' iMac and all appears well.
Two feet???

Sowwy.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-11-14, 16:55

2 feet is about 24 inches. So, yes.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-11-14, 16:57

My 24" iMac runs about 30-35 degrees (fahrenheit) warmer that it did prior to the upgrade. From about 115-120 to 150-155...anyone else seeing this?