AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Phone call to SMS?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Phone call to SMS?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-10-11, 11:58

Anyone know of a service that allows people to leave messages that get sent via SMS? I'm thinking of a paging service that operates over the SMS network, like everyone phone but the damned iPhone has ( ). I need a pager for my clients but I'd love it if I can just use my SMS' for that. Any ideas? I'm not sure how to formulate a google query to even start the search. TIA.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-10-11, 12:26

You can mail to something like 5555555555@mobile.att.net where you replace the 5's with your 10 digit phone number.

Or, I could when I had my RAZR. I assume the iPhone works the same way.

EDIT:
Quote:
A. All wireless phones are set up to send and receive email messages by using the following address: yournumber@txt.att.net. You can exchange short emails with any email address worldwide.
http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/me...ging.jsp#email

I just verified the txt.att.net thing - it works just fine.

Last edited by Taskiss : 2007-10-11 at 12:39.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-10-11, 13:00

I'm thinking of a number someone could call from a regular phone and then have the messages sent to me via SMS. Kinda like those online faxing services that send you an email when you get a fax. To the user, it seems like they're sending an ordinary fax. I'd like my patients to think they're calling a pager. Does that make sense?
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-10-11, 13:05

Ah. I understand, but no, it doesn't make sense to me. If it's a human making the call then I'd figure voice mail would be the way to go. I do the e-mail to SMS thing when I want to set up computerized automated alerts and I really can't see the value in what you want, but I firmly support you in your search to obtain it.

I just can't come up with anything.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-10-11, 13:53

I'm a psychologist, so there are times my patients need to let me know that they need to speak with me. All that I need is a way for them to leave a number for me to call them that doesn't involve voicemail. I don't take phone calls or check voicemail afterhours and on weekends but I'd like to have my patients able to get a hold of me.