Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

The Revenge of MagSafe

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Revenge of MagSafe
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-07, 21:28

This year brought us iPhones with wireless charging, reviving the product called MagSafe after several years of it being missing in action from the laptop lineup. While it's in a new form factor, the essential idea is the same; a breakaway method for charging.

Do you suppose they might standardize the ability across their product lineup or at least return the technology to their laptops?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-07, 21:34

I wish they would. It came in handy, having the plug release so easily. That was a nice feature! I know of three disasters averted because of it (eyewitness to two of them).
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-12-07, 21:47

Please oh please oh please. Ditching MagSafe was a terrible idea.

Can wireless charging transmit enough power for laptop? I'm imagining a magnetic cable like the watch charger that just sticks somewhere on the side of a MacBook.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-12-07, 23:15

This might be fine for an iPhone or iPad, but this kind of wireless charging/powering, is extremely inefficient. For those on hydro electric, who cares. For people on dirty power, not so great.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-08, 02:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
This might be fine for an iPhone or iPad, but this kind of wireless charging/powering, is extremely inefficient. For those on hydro electric, who cares. For people on dirty power, not so great.
This was my big fear - inefficiency for large batteries.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-08, 09:29

I've seen products claiming to add "Mag-Safe" to USB-C but there seems to be a problem with arcing and burning the contacts out. Nothing I've seen has truly stepped in to replace it. I'm thinking it is because they forced the connectors to be so small the contacts just can't handle the current properly for something like an 80W MBP.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.