AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Why does Siri ignore my AirPod Pros?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Why does Siri ignore my AirPod Pros?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-04, 12:05

So when using my AirPod Pros I can use the mic normally as you would expect. When I’m asking Siri to do something though she can’t hear me. Why? What do I need to check?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-03-04, 16:13

Is Hey Siri set up? Are you invoking it via the button, or via voice?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-04, 16:28

Normally it is when I invoke it with the button. I don't have "Hey Siri" enabled on my phone. So I have a XS and hold the side button in. Or if say I'm typing a message in Messages and switch to dictating (by tapping the mic icon in the keyboard). It can't hear me through the AirPod Pros. If I take out the AirPods it works fine using the phone's mic.

If I try to dictate with the AirPods and then stop and just call the AirPods work as expected. It is really odd. Siri seems to be the only thing ignoring the AirPods.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-05, 12:06

So I just got done playing with this a little more. I do have "Hey Siri" enabled, but not when locked.
  • When my XS unlocked and I hold in the button I hear the tone that plays when Siri is called up through my AirPods. Then I speak and she can't hear me.
  • If I say "Hey Siri" with the AirPods in and the phone unlocked I'm ignored.
  • AirPod out and phone unlocked "Hey Siri" works as expected.
iOS 13.3.1
AirPod Firmware 2B588

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-05, 12:08

Ha! I think I figured it out. "Hey Siri" works and the button calling up Siri works if I use my left AirPods. I default to using my right AirPod only and she can't hear my with that one in.

I put my left one (only) in and she can hear me just fine. How about that!?

Can some of you out there with AirPod Pros test my findings?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-06, 11:15

Hmmm....

After swapping around which ear the AirPods was in and rebooting my phone it seems to finally have resolved itself. I really hate fixes like this because they aren't fixes.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-03-06, 15:50

Yeah, diagnostics are quite a weak spot. Apple is nice and tidy when stuff just works™, but when it doesn't, it can be hell.

(See, for example, all the Continuity stuff. Great when Universal Clipboard just copies where you need it to, and your Watch just unlocks your Mac unasked. But when those randomly stop working? Good luck figuring it out. Typically involves clearing caches, logging out of iCloud and back in, praying to Cthulhu, and maybe a raindance or two.)