AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Server Down?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Server Down?
Page 3 of 23 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-12, 18:36

Server is back online! It's running a dark hybrid of the overworld circa 9:30 AM and the nether circa 6:00 AM.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-12, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
More importantly, how many kids do you have? I was under the impression you had a couple of youngins, not a whole pack that are old enough to turn off breakers.
You may be surprised to learn that Turtle's last name is Duggar.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-07-12, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Why didn't you use the saveworld.sh backup script I created? Use that and it'll pause the game properly and archive the files in the same location as the rest of the backups.
I was on the way to work and wanted to get a quick pull. I happened to have the FTP client opened on Beast to Lenny. I had just logged out of MC after placing the torches on the bridge so I just wanted a quick snapshot on the way out to work. Normally I use the backups to pull from. In general though I'm writing the script to run your script, then copy it to Beast, process the maps then rsync results.

New map with lights on bridge is up now too for that matter. Although I'm seeing an odd chunk missing on my bridge... gonna do another attempt to fix this.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-07-15, 23:24

So after 14 days of uptime this time my router needed a reboot. Not a reflash as I've had to do in the past, but it did need a reboot. Granted, I'm doing a torrent that's 9GB right now but QoS puts the priority to the game. However too much is too much. So I'm going to need to look at other high throughput options for a router in the near future. No big deal, just though you might like to know.

Elysium was the only user on when I noticed the issue so hopefully no one else was impacted this time.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-08-22, 11:29

Server is down right now. House is without power so the world is going to have to be set to the last backup saved. What's worse is I'm at work and won't be home until far later.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-08-22, 13:22

Power has finally been restored at my house so now it's a matter of getting into the server fro Brad and restarting everything. The server is up and running just not the game I'd imagine.

I'm on my iPad at work though so I really have no idea.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-08-22, 13:29

Woot. I'll try connecting and reinitializing the game.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-08-22, 13:35

And we're running! All is well with today's 6 AM backup restored.
¡Damned!

2011-08-22, 13:37

Quote:
And we're running! All is well with today's 6 AM backup restored.
Phew! I made some progress on the roof last night and was a little worried that it'd be borked. Thanks!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-08-22, 16:05

Just went back down. Are people tripping over power cords?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-08-22, 16:07

Quote:
Just went back down. Are people tripping over power cords?
Scratch that. Back up. Looks like turtle is having network connectivity issues. Just got a fresh IP, it seems.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-08-22, 18:14

We lost power again during that post Brad. I was also still at work but the battery backup held for that outage as it was relatively brief.

I have no idea why we had such power issues today. Thankfully we have a good backup system in place though. Wonder if we can get a script that takes the feed from the UPS and triggers the backup script to run...

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-08-22, 19:07

I think we need to buy a generator. And a shotgun, in case of zombie attack.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-08-22, 20:09

I'm pretty sure that when you buy one, the other is included, just for that reason
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-08-22, 20:16

What's funny is I've been considering getting a generator for stuff like this. I have no shotgun...does this count?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-08-22, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Wonder if we can get a script that takes the feed from the UPS and triggers the backup script to run...
Actually, yes. Some UPSes have a USB or serial port for exactly this purpose. One can initiate notifications or clean shutdown procedures based on the state given by the UPS. I have a coworker who does exactly this with his UPS at home. Admittedly, it's one of the more expensive devices...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-08-22, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
What's funny is I've been considering getting a generator for stuff like this. I have no shotgun...does this count?
i know who i am riding with when the zombie apocalypse comes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-08-22, 23:26

Quote:
Actually, yes. Some UPSes have a USB or serial port for exactly this purpose. One can initiate notifications or clean shutdown procedures based on the state given by the UPS. I have a coworker who does exactly this with his UPS at home. Admittedly, it's one of the more expensive devices...
I have it set up on my personal machines because they interface easy with the UPS. Didn't think about configuring it on Lenny. It's an APC Back-UPS XS 1500. I need to find a USB cable for it, but once I do I'll connect it so we can get the jobs figured out for it.

Quote:
i know who i am riding with when the zombie apocalypse comes.
You are more than welcome to do so.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-08-25, 07:55

FYI, I got the UPS connected to the server via the USB cable, now it just needs to get programmed to work with it. I found one app that looks like it'll do it, but haven't really been able to study it much. apcupsd if you were wondering.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-08-25, 14:39

ummm, is the server down? i keep getting connection refused
¡Damned!

2011-08-25, 15:50

Looks like it. I just checked and got refused as well.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-08-25, 18:14

Sorry guys, lightning has fried in ground wiring and they are going through replacing cables in my neighborhood. Seems today they killed it again. I'm going to get with Brad and see if we can't get me trained on how to get the server back up. I just don't recall though he did show me at one time.

I do apologize. I was at work again when they killed it.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-08-25, 18:19

Oh, and I have an idea for getting the backups run when power drops. Going to try to get it installed and running today. The plan being any time power drops and APC kicks in the backup script is run. I'll post here once it's in place.

Edit: anyone know a good tool/utility to run scripts once the power drops?

Last edited by turtle : 2011-08-25 at 20:06.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-08-25, 19:26

I'm restoring now! Was out to dinner earlier.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-08-25, 19:34

Game is back online with today's 6 AM backup.

I'll send you some restoration notes shortly, T.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-08-25, 20:07

Thanks.

Edit: Also for everyone, see my edit above where I'm trying to find a tool/utility to run a script once power is lost.
¡Damned!

2011-08-25, 21:45

I wonder if we shouldn't set the backups at every 3 instead of 6 hours during Irene? Given how fragile the server is lately it might not be a bad call. I'd have hated life today if I was on and lost a full days worth of work.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-08-25, 22:28

I'm ok with that, though we'll need to start pruning the backup dir fast after that. It'll start adding up quick.

If I can get this script thing working out I can force a back up once power is lost at the house. This would prevent the issue from being an issue.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-08-27, 09:28

FYI, I just backed up the server and will run a backup if power should go out as soon as it does. Feel free to work in the world until you get booted due to power loss, should that happen. I'm riding this out out at home even though they wanted me to be at work today.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-08-27, 10:32

Just lost power. Backup script run. Anything more is at your own risk of losing your work.