Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Setting up a network file server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Setting up a network file server
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-04-17, 16:36

So I have an older desktop that's not currently used. It runs XP like shit, too poorly to be usable really. I'd like to turn it into a networked file server.

The problem is the BIOS are from 1997, and don't have ACPI. This caused the Ubuntu installer to crash and burn, and it appears the same thing will happen with SuSe or even FreeBSD. Anyone know what I could run on it that would work?

The specs:

700Mhz Celeron
128 MB RAM, due to onboard graphics only 112 or so are usable by the system

This system is an older system, I believe the mobo is from a 1997 or so Midwest Micro computer. It was upgraded in 2000 or 2001 with a 20GB hard drive replacing a 5GB and the Celeron replacing the old P2. It currently has an 80GB Seagate drive that I put in it less than two years ago. Not too much, but it has room for more drives later on and it's all I need for it right now.
pilot1129

Send a message via AIM to pilot1129  
2008-04-17, 16:54

max out the ram and load xp home. I did that with a 200mhz Sony VAIO from 1997 and used it as a network server with a 5400 RPM HD. If you can put a very light install of xp (remove all the unnecessary crap and services through msconfig) then you shouldnt have a problem.

So my recommendation: max out the ram and get at least a 5400 RPM HD in there.

then the question becomes one of diminishing returns... would you at that point rather put your money to buy a networked external hard drive instead?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-04-17, 17:05

That's the point: Money is an issue so I need to do it free, and also this way it can be accessed over the network from any computer regardless of OS. Don't have an XP disc either other than an upgrade.

The drive in it is a 7200 RPM.

Quote:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3802110A 80GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive w/2MB Buffer
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-04-17, 17:43

SME Server maybe? It's a great free server and I think it'll run on that system but I'm not sure.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-04-18, 01:10

Hey thanks that looks promising! I'll work on that tomorrow and report back.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2008-04-18, 09:11

If you want to install Ubuntu and you don't have ACPI support on your machine, you need to download the alternate disk -- not the live install.

You can download the alternate disk by going to the Ubuntu downloads web site, pick the version you want and scrolling to the bottom of the page and check the checkbox that says "Check here if you need the alternate desktop CD. This CD does not include the Live CD, instead it uses a text-based installer.".

You will need to install in text mode AND you will need to hit F6 (I believe that is the key) to add install options (hitting the key to add install options might not be needed in all versions) and they you add the line: boot linux acpi=off noacpi
This will boot without ACPI support.

After you install, you should edit your grub file and change "linux acpi=off noacpi" to "acpi=off".

You could also turn the machine into a NAS by using freeNAS. Very simple setup and it can run from your CD or HD. You will need to set ACPI to off though. If I remember correctly, the install/setup screen has an option for this.

You're looking at eons of repression getting purged. If only they'd let us jerk off.

Beware the man of one book. ~ Saint Thomas Aquinas
beardedmacuser

2008-04-18, 09:48

Another vote for FreeNAS here. If it does what you require it's really pretty light, reliable and easy to set-up.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2008-04-18, 10:21

FreeNAS looks good for your needs.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-04-22, 21:27

Okay, I'm finally getting to do something with this. Which FreeNAS version do I need? LiveCD or Embedded?

I'm kind of a n00b at the server thing.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-04-23, 18:50

Turtle it looks like you've got the winning suggestion. The FreeNAS install froze just like the Ubuntu installer, but SME Server is installing right now and seems to be working fine. I'll report back once it's set up and I test it out.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-04-23, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Turtle it looks like you've got the winning suggestion. The FreeNAS install froze just like the Ubuntu installer, but SME Server is installing right now and seems to be working fine. I'll report back once it's set up and I test it out.
Yeah, it's really a great server for the price. I'm a little annoyed too because I got Leopard Server and was going to replace "Lenny" (my SME Server) with it but it just doesn't keep up. Fact is I've only had two issues with SME since using it for the last year or so. Once involved me having to hit the support forums and the other I figured out on my own.

What's so great about it is that you can do so much more with it than just file serving. All you do is add HDDs and it configures them for you. You can manage them easily with the web based interface. It also is a great VPN solution to boot! Now I can VPN to my house while on the road and pass all my traffic through the house rather than over open hotspots. Granted, this is more than you asked for, but it certainly gives you options.

danielsza referred me to it back in 2006 and then helped me a little with it once I installed it back in 07. He's a great resource too when it comes to SME Server.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-04-23, 21:11

I like the I-Bay virtual folders, just made one for my file storage. Starting to get the feel of this
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-04-23, 23:43

There are some other great resources and plug-ins out there too. I installed one call "Disk Usage" so I'd know how much of my space was taken by which users and which I-bay. I'm trying to remember how I got it...it's something like installing a RePo connection and then you can choose which ones you want. (Repository)

The I-Bays are really cool because you can limit access to certain users. The password requirements are really strong too, though they can be reduced to no requirement too. I've got mine set to strong since it's my Gateway/Server.

Edit: Found it. Here's the way to access the Contribs and here is Disk Usage.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2008-04-24 at 00:19.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-04-24, 22:46

Nice. I'll have to go through those plugins soon.

Everything's going well so far. Transferring files now. Transfer is a little slow due to the server's old, slow Ethernet adapter, but other than that there haven't been any issues. Connection's fast enough to play back video files on the server over the network without incident, it appears.