User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Interested in Minecraft? New 90 minute demo!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Interested in Minecraft? New 90 minute demo!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-20, 23:32

I just know that there's some of you out there who have been reading the Minecraft threads out of curiosity, but haven't yet had the chance to play the game. Good news! PC Gamer is now providing a free 90 minute demo of the full game. (The only Minecraft you could previously play for free, "Minecraft Classic," is a scaled-down sandbox builder that lacked the "game" aspects of the full game mode, "Survival.") 90 minutes isn't enough to build an airport or skyscraper, but it's enough to try the game out and get hooked. And you can even restart the demo with a new world as many times as you want.

If you want to try it out, I recommend either watching one of the many YouTube tutorials (such as the excellent X's Adventures in Minecraft) or reading the first tutorials on minecraftwiki.net, since the game doesn't include any.

I haven't gotten this into a game in a long time, and so I'm shouting its benefits from the rooftops, and to random patrons at Taco Bell. There's something about Minecraft that makes it both more accessible than a hundred-hour RPG but just as endlessly playable, a potent combination. It's the best value in the industry, hands down. Try it!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-22, 14:57

*whispers*

Cappelllaaa...come here, Cappelllaaa...download the deemmmooo...

You know you want to!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-04-22, 15:05

Oh, Capella doesn't play it yet? Finally, someone sane.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-22, 16:25

You remind me of my stepdad. He didn't like having "fun," either.

Everybody else should try Minecraft. It has tamable wolf puppies!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-22, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Everybody else should try Minecraft. It has tamable wolf puppies!
Just don't tell Brad or Bruce if you've domesticated more than one or two, or they'll send the exterminator, err, dog catcher after them.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Threat only applies to in-server play, of course. Keep all the wolves locally that you want!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2011-04-22, 20:58

I had a slew of 'em at one point early on, but after the server-strain concerns I just let them follow me around until they killed themselves. Falling off the skywalk, burning alive, walking into cacti. They are teh dumb.

I don't think I'll get another one until the constant whimpering gets fixed. Highly annoying.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-22, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I don't think I'll get another one until the constant whimpering gets fixed. Highly annoying.
Supposedly fixed with proper server-client syncing of wolves in the 1.5 update.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-22, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I had a slew of 'em at one point early on, but after the server-strain concerns I just let them follow me around until they killed themselves. Falling off the skywalk, burning alive, walking into cacti. They are teh dumb.
That happened to my doggie, but before I realized he was teh dumb. I felt horrible.

I decided not to get another doggie until I had a house, which is always smart advice. Now, I think I'll wait until I have a house not in Bridgeport...

But any potential players should totally get pet wolves, if it will get them to play.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
¡Damned!

2011-04-22, 21:14

Oh! I didn't even hear about that bug fix. Not that I need a dog following me around right now, but maybe down the road a bit.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-04-22, 21:29

Quote:
That happened to my doggie, but before I realized he was teh dumb. I felt horrible.

I decided not to get another doggie until I had a house, which is always smart advice. Now, I think I'll wait until I have a non-flammable house not in Bridgeport...

But any potential players should totally get pet wolves, if it will get them to play.
FTFY. Seriously the doggies are teh devil.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-22, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
FTFY. Seriously the doggies are teh devil.
Fortunately, my next project is 97% less wool.

I still have to scout a location for it, though. I'm waiting for one of Brad's eternal days, for that.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-22, 22:10

I had a flaming wolf after leading it back over the Turtle Rock Memorial Bridge. Thankfully, my house isn't flammable.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-22, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
flaming wolf
Wolf O'Donnell?

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-22, 22:35

Quote:
Wolf O'Donnell?

Flaming as he might be for Fox, that's not the type of flaming I had in mind.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-22, 23:13

They'll push you off a ledge with LOVE if you don't watch out.
All the ones I had died or ran off. Whenever wolves show up now I ignore them... especially after two wolves ravaged me even unto death.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-22, 23:33

Mrs T and I had about 20 total at one point. I felt like Anakin when I killed all but three of them.

Now my one wolf sits alone at my hot tub while Mrs T's guards her open air market and sartor shop.

Though, everyone should still try Minecraft just so they can say they did.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-24, 05:12

Just so everybody knows, I did a stupid. I could have sworn I read that the demo was Mac-compatible, but it is apparently not. It is Windows-only, I'm afraid.

Except for the launcher, the game is cross-platform, and the only difference between the demo and unlimited versions of the game is one text file and the PC Gamer texture on cows. For whatever reason, they don't provide a download link for a version with the Mac launcher and that extra-special text string. You could probably pirate the game, open up TextEdit, and perfectly recreate the demo, if you want. Or, you could just pirate the game. (Not that I'd ever encourage such a thing.)

Anyway, I'm really sorry everybody. If you have a gaming PC or boot into Windows the demo will bring you happiness and joy, but if not it'll be just a waste of bits. Hopefully, Notch & Co. will put a Mac version on minecraft.net. (Bug him on Twitter!) I'll let y'all know if he does.

Last edited by Robo : 2011-04-24 at 05:29.