User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Best antivirus software for new mac owner?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Best antivirus software for new mac owner?
jakey02

2007-06-15, 13:32

I just got the new macbook pro and i want to get some type of anti virus software, but there is such a small section of stuff compared to an old pc user. The only two products i've seen have been Intego VirusBarrier and Nortons. Is there any other better products or suggestions?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-06-15, 13:40

Yeah. Avoid Norton at all costs.

There are no Mac viruses, but if you want to make sure you don't pass along a Windows virus to someone else in an email or document, go download ClamAV/X. It's free, it's good, and it won't screw over your system like Norton.

No need to spend money on this, really.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-06-15, 14:25

Intego makes a pretty good product. But you will find that most of us are going to recommend against any anti-stuff. Ant--this and that is just going to slow your machine down while it accomplishes very little. You will find that, if someone sends out an e-mail that is nasty-laden, your antivirus will find it and eliminate it, although said nasty would have no effect on your Mac, anyway.

Just avoid the stuff. You'll be happier for it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-06-15, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakey02 View Post
I just got the new macbook pro and i want to get some type of anti virus software, but there is such a small section of stuff compared to an old pc user.?
Why? There are no Mac viruses.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2007-06-15, 14:49

If you really want some kind of Anti-Virus software then use Clam.

If you want your OS to kernel panic often and to demonstrate windows like instability than install Norton, otherwise stay as far from any Norton/symantic/macafee product as you can.

You're looking at eons of repression getting purged. If only they'd let us jerk off.

Beware the man of one book. ~ Saint Thomas Aquinas
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-06-15, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara View Post
If you want your OS to kernel panic often and to demonstrate windows like instability
That's beautiful!!
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-06-15, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
Why? There are no Mac viruses.
Some companies and Universities require anti-virus software for all machines on the network. People know that Macs don't have any virii at the moment, but thats not to say that Macs can't help spread them.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-06-15, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Some companies and Universities require anti-virus software for all machines on the network. People know that Macs don't have any virii at the moment, but thats not to say that Macs can't help spread them.
That's exactly right. BSU, here in town, requires ALL computers, not just PCs, to have Anti-junk. Keeps you from forwarding tainted e-mails to the professor's PC. Big companies in town have the same policies.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-06-15, 15:11

Ayup.

Download Clam, keep it on hand.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-06-15, 15:12

But if all the Windows PCs have Anti-Virus software installed, wouldn't it detect the virus that a non-protected Mac sent?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-06-15, 15:19

Shhhhhh, don't point out illogic to IT personnel, it hurts their brains...

Seriously, if policy is "all computers will have anti-virus software installed" then that means all computers. Don't question the policy. The policy is all. Kneel before the policy.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-06-15, 15:34

Intego are evil. Search here or Google there and the buzz is often bad.

OS X is 6+ years of no viruses. Some trojans, but they require user authorization so caveat emptor. But nothing self-propogating for OS X. Almost no malware, period... but then again, if you choose to install untrusted stuff, that's not practicing safe surfing, is it.

In my experience since OS X release early this century, Norton borks more systems than it helps.
ClamAV is open source and is less crash prone. But only if you have to clean up other people's MS-infected mail.

YMMV, but if you're new, you need to bring some fresh mindset to your Apple experience.
These dudes think about damn near everything when they design things.

When in doubt, try the most obvious and intuitive thing (drag and drop works almost everywhere), not the methods of your old OS... you'll usually find that the obvious or intuitive solution is the way Apple builds things.

You don't fight the system nearly as much, and it's not just better engineered, it's a less frustrating experience, once you get it.

See Switch 101 and/or Mac 101 or ask here.

Soon you will focus on the creative rather than the troubleshooting, young grasshopper.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-06-15, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
But if all the Windows PCs have Anti-Virus software installed, wouldn't it detect the virus that a non-protected Mac sent?
That would be the big Yup! Funny, huh! Kinda like "If my kid is not immunized, he can't go to that school full of immunized kids 'cause he might give them something?"

Best anti-virus software on planet Earth is Mac OS X!

That's what we tell our customers. But like Kickaha said, don't peev the IT!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-06-15, 16:05

Just to reiterate the main points from above:
  • Mac OS X doesn't need antivirus software because there aren't any viruses. The only thing you'll be doing it cleaning files of Windows viruses so you can't be a "carrier".
  • AVOID NORTON/SYMANTEC AT ALL COSTS. Ahem. Yes. Their "support" record for Mac OS X is astoundingly bad.
  • If you must get antivirus software for Mac OS X, don't pay for some big commercial package. As noted, it's not really doing anything for you anyway; so, it's not worth any serious investment. The free and open source ClamXav should be plenty capable of appeasing any neanderthal IT guys.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-06-15, 16:11

Yeah. Funny that whenever you read some article about the absolute necessity of having anti-virus on the Mac, it's always the Norton guys doing the yacking. Wonder why that is?

rasmits
rams it

2007-06-15, 16:33

If your University is forcing you to install anti-virus software, do what I and every other Mac user I've ever known did: Tell them to suck it.

It's not like they're actually going to check.

You had me at asl
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-06-15, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
If your University is forcing you to install anti-virus software, do what I and every other Mac user I've ever known did: Tell them to suck it.

It's not like they're actually going to check.
How about just installing it. No need to get macho over antivirus requirements.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-06-15, 16:36

Yeah, like I said. Download it, keep it around, run its updater every so often... no biggie.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-15, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
How about just installing it. No need to get macho over antivirus requirements.
Rasmits is probably correct about that they never check it. So yeah, you could just install it, then have it do nothing. (e.g. turned off or disabled or whatever)
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-06-15, 16:46

You will comply. Resistance is futile.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2007-06-15, 18:03

They don't have a way to check on the mac I don't think. Unless there is a way to do versioning with OS X Server. At my school they require that you have certain things installed and have something that checks your windows installation if your versions are up to date too. Can't get on the network without verification.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2007-06-15, 18:26

At the University that I used to work for they required all computers to have some form of anti-virus software. I told them that I installed Clam on my Macs. They wanted proof so I opened up terminal and handed over my laptop to the useless central IT idiot (I was a department IT type person) and told him to use his Unix skills to see if Clam was running.
Since he only knew windows he told me "OK, I believe that it is installed".

I love fcking around with windows only people.

You're looking at eons of repression getting purged. If only they'd let us jerk off.

Beware the man of one book. ~ Saint Thomas Aquinas