AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Installing Apple Software From .DMG?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Installing Apple Software From .DMG?
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-01-11, 20:36

Is it possible to install Apple software from the .dmg, and not from physical install media? See, Rutgers offers very good deals to its students on Apple software. I can pick up Tiger for $29.99 (discs and license), or Leopard for $69.99. The problem is, the Leopard license is only a license and a .dmg file, and I'd have to pay $20 more for media. I can also get iLife and iWork for less than retail, but again it's dmg only. The physical media is $10 each for iLife and iWork. Neither my Windows desktop nor my Apple laptop have DVD burners, although my boyfriend's Windows computer does. Do I need to burn these to disc to install? If so, can I use his Windows machine to burn it, or will .dmgs only burn right if burned on a Mac? I'd rather be cheap and not get the media if I don't absolutely have to.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-11, 21:00

Yes. A Disk Image works exactly like a disc, except you can't delete a physical disc
But... You can't install an Operating System from a .dmg since it can't boot off of the DVD then.
Also, it would be a Really Good Idea™ to burn it for backup purposes.

Converted 07/2005.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2008-01-11, 21:14

You don't necessarily need a burner, although (for the OS anyway) you will probably need to convert the DMG to a physical, bootable disk. An external firewire HD will do, or an old firewire iPod with sufficient capacity.

I think the newer installers do have some capacity for mounting disk images over the network - this might be an option. Or, you might be able to partition your HD, put the DMG on one partition, boot from it, and install to the other.

For iLife and iWork, you should be able to install directly from the mounted DMG.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-01-11, 21:29

For the OS install, I think burning it would be the easiest route to take. For iWork/iLife/any other installation, you can use the .dmg as you would the optical disc.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-01-11, 21:49

Can a Windows computer burn the Leopard .dmg fine, or no? I have a FireWire iPod that could serve, also, which would probably be easier than burning (since it's not my machine that'd be doing it.)

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
colivigan
Veteran Member

2008-01-11, 21:56

You won't be able to transform the DMG to a bootable disk on the Windows computer. At best, you'll create a data disk with a DMG on it, which may or may not be useful (probably not).

I'd use the iPod.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-01-12, 02:59

What I do is create a partition on an external drive and restore the DMG onto that.