AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

It's All Over But The Deciding: Mac mini -vs.- iBook -vs.- eMac -vs.- iMac G4

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
It's All Over But The Deciding: Mac mini -vs.- iBook -vs.- eMac -vs.- iMac G4
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-26, 20:38

I'm getting my first Mac. (I know, I know, about bloody time, eh?) Now I just need to decide which one I should get.

If I can find a new 1.25 GHz iMac G4, I'm jumping on it. It has the same screens as the iMac G5, and it'd suit me well enough, since it has USB 2.0.

But I might not be able to. I should have about $1,000 to spend, which means I have three Macs to choose from: the Mac mini, the eMac, or the iBook.

The Mac mini would be the fastest option (1.5 Ghz), but by the time you factor in the keyboard and mouse and about $200 for a 17" LCD (I wouldn't have my Mac mini next to a CRT), it comes out to about $950. A.K.A., the price of an iBook.

There's just one problem: The 12" iBook doesn't come with a Superdrive. I'll be doing video editing with this, and I really need a DVD burner. If the iBook got an update with a Superdrive - hell, even if they just made the Superdrive standard - I'd totally spring for one. But it isn't, and I don't have the money for an external DVD burner, nor would I want to have to carry one around.

There is a dark horse candidate: The eMac. It would be faster than the iBook, and it has a great big hard drive (I'd be looking at the Superdrive model). Unlike some of you, I'm not repulsed by the eMac styling - it's not my favorite Mac, but I like its quirkiness. (I mean, come on - giant pictures of planets and flowers on its packaging? Please tell me it still has that.) The Superdrive model originally cost $999, but if I hurried, would there be any chance of catching one with a reduced price?

What do you guys think I should go for? Thanks for reading, and post away!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-10-26, 21:24

No money for an external burner? I can put one together for around $30. You can too if you look around for deals.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-10-26, 21:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Store "Special Deals"
Refurbished eMac 1.25GHz/ 256MB/ 80GB/ SuperDrive/ E/ 56K
Learn More
• Save 33% off the original price
Original price: $999.00
Your price: $679.00
Estimated Ship:
Within 24 hours
Free Shipping

Add
Refurbished eMac 1.42GHz SuperDrive
17-inch flat CRT display
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
160GB Ultra ATA hard drive
8x SuperDrive (double-layer)
ATI Radeon 9600
Learn More
• Save 21% off the original price
Original price: $999.00
Your price: $799.00
Estimated Ship:
Within 24 hours
Free Shipping

Refurbished iMac G5 1.8GHz/ 256MB/ 160GB/ SuperDrive/ 56K/ 20-inch
Learn More
• Save 40% off the original price
Original price: $1,899.00
Your price: $1,149.00
Estimated Ship:
Within 24 hours
Free Shipping
There are other good deals if you look around long enough. Are you or anyone you know in college? You can get additional discounts if you convince them to order the computer for you...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-10-26, 22:06

I totally forgot about the refurbished section. Check those out and than pick up an external burner. Easy as pie, and just about as cheap too.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-10-26, 22:24

I picked up a refurb emac 1.25 ghz w/ superdrive for $799 about a year ago. Popped in 1 gig of RAM and it's been running happily ever since. I highly recommend the refurb route.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-10-26, 22:25

Quote:
Refurbished iMac G5 1.8GHz/ 256MB/ 160GB/ SuperDrive/ 56K/ 20-inch
Learn More
• Save 40% off the original price
Original price: $1,899.00
Your price: $1,149.00
Estimated Ship:
Within 24 hours
Free Shipping
If had the $$ I'd do this one.
switchr92

Send a message via AIM to switchr92  
2005-10-26, 22:29

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...12.1.5.1.3.5.0

This is exactly what you need.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-26, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchr92
Please note that Apple Store links expire, and quickly so.

For reference, this link is a refurbished SuperDrive eMac with 1.42 GHz.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-10-27, 02:51

Get the mini, iBook + external drive, or find a special deal. All options are fine, but if you are not going to actually carry a laptop around (and most people will not) go for the desktop, it's a lot better at the desk.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-27, 22:38

Maybe I should have...um...mentioned that I hate used things. Hate hate hate. I really don't like owning them (I'm kinda OC like that), especially not for Apple stuff (and especially not for my first Mac!).

I'm going to call my local Mac reseller tomorrow and ask if they have any new 1.25 GHz iMac G4s. I know they don't sell a ton of Macs. If they do, and the price is right ($800? $900? I feel cheap, but it was introduced over two years ago, and it'll cost me $130 to bring OS X and iLife up to date...).

I just wish I had some time this weekend to go to the Twin Cities and look through all the computer stores for one (or for a new eMac, or something). Alas, I just happen to be working my first Friday and Saturday in over a month. eMacs are still easy to find online, but if I wanted a discount...

New Powerbooks just showed up in Apple's Sale page - that's the first time they've had anything there for a long time. I wish they'd put new discontinued products there more.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
L'Angelo Misterioso

2005-10-27, 22:52

you do realize that refurbished apple computers are basically new. new packaging and everything, just a machine that has basically been tested and fixed.

if anything, a refurbished system may be a more sure bet since it's been through more QA
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-27, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Angelo Misterioso
you do realize that refurbished apple computers are basically new. new packaging and everything, just a machine that has basically been tested and fixed.

if anything, a refurbished system may be a more sure bet since it's been through more QA
Yeah...but...still...

...they've been touched. By people.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-10-28, 00:00

So are the new machines, after all someone had to put it into the box.
byzantium

2005-10-28, 02:20

Well Roboman, you have a choice:

Buy an old system like an iMac G4 1.25 Ghz, or get a practically new system (the refurbs), which are much faster for nearly the same price.

Don't let your pride get in the way of sense.

Yonah was the biblical prophet who got swallowed by a whale. Great name Intel!
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-10-28, 02:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM
So are the new machines, after all someone had to put it into the box.
You're lying! I have it on good information that all Macs are packaged by giant robots that look vaguely like this, except with arms:

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2005-10-28, 03:46

Well I guess Apple had to find some use for those old Classic SEs.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-28, 15:07

I know, I know, I'm considering getting a refurb. I'm not sure. Part of me hopes they give the iBook a teeny upgrade next month - if they would just let you get a Superdrive on the 12" model, it'd be perfect.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2005-10-28, 15:12

They better not upgrade the ibook till sometime next or I'll not be a happy camper since I just got a new one last Friday.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-10-28, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
You're lying! I have it on good information that all Macs are packaged by giant robots that look vaguely like this, except with arms:

*gasps*

How dare you! This is a copyrighted picture of me, and rightly so!

I'm suing you!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2005-10-28, 15:54

I think Microsoft would not like it if you tried to copyright an image they already own.