User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

How big do you think the Powerbook update will be?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: How big do you think the Powerbook update will be?
No Update - The Powerbook won't be updated at all next week. 3 2.26%
Minor Refreshing (a la Mac mini) - Nothing you couldn't BTO today. 14 10.53%
Typical Speed Bump - The Powerbook gets improved, but nothing earth-shattering. 62 46.62%
Major Facelift (a la new iMac) - HD screens, integrated iSight, 13" Widescreen, new enclosure, etc. 40 30.08%
Powerbook G5 14 10.53%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

How big do you think the Powerbook update will be?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-15, 14:46

All right guys...this is it...

In less than a week, the Powerbook will almost assuredly be updated! The only question that remains is how significant the update will be.

NOTE: I intentionally did not list "the Powerbook goes Intel" as an option, because it really isn't, and I'm tired of people saying it will.

Vote away!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-10-15, 14:47

Umm vote on what?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-15, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM
Umm vote on what?
The poll that just magically appeared. It had a problem posting it, sorry.
Dima

Send a message via ICQ to Dima  
2005-10-15, 15:37

most people vote not for what they think wlii happen but for what they hope will happen, that previouse poll about October 12th proved it very well
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-10-15, 15:50

I'm voting for a speed bump. I think that HD screens are pretty likely, and integrated iSights sort of likely, but any major screen/enclosure change probably won't happen until the Intel switch.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-10-15, 15:58

As much as I'd like to see a speed bump and HD screens, I don't see it happening if its true that Apple is stuck with the current 1.67Ghz 7447 G4.
Dazabrit

2005-10-15, 16:19

I should think the Integrated iSight will only appear in the consumer macs (iBook in January?) and the iMac. Pro's usually spend their cash on these machines so they can use them for creative work and as mentioned before, a lot of people are prevented from having web cams at work (for security reasons). I think the external iSights will be updated (smaller) and to match the quality of the integrated cam.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-15, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
I'm voting for a speed bump. I think that HD screens are pretty likely, and integrated iSights sort of likely, but any major screen/enclosure change probably won't happen until the Intel switch.
The "Major Facelift" option doesn't necessarily mean that you think it will see all of the things listed (HD display, iSight, 13" widescreen, or new enclosure). They're just examples.
Dazabrit

2005-10-15, 16:28

PowerBook G4 15 and 17":

1.8-2Ghz G4 Processor with 1Mb Cache and 200Mhz FSB
1Gb RAM DDR-2 (Apple First)
120Gb Hard Drive
DL SuperDrive
HD Screen
Slightly improved Battery-life
PCI-E Graphics (not sure on the card)

Last edited by Dazabrit : 2005-10-15 at 16:34. Reason: Forgot PCI-E and DDR2
¡Damned!

2005-10-15, 16:33

^

This is exactly what I'm expecting. Though, if Apple does decide to stock the PBs with a gig of RAM, I'd hope they do so with 1 stick. Also, I'm quietly hoping for a gunmetal coloured enclosure.

So it goes.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-15, 16:35

I voted for a major facelift, by the way. Maybe Dima is right, and maybe that's just wishful thinking, but it's been so long since the last Powerbook update, and that was such a minor update, I can't help but feel that we've got to see something nice. Apple isn't stupid, they know when the Intel Powerbook is coming, and I'm sure they didn't plan on saving all of their improvements for the Intel Powerbook next year, because they know they need to keep people interested in their current offerings.

Look at all the stuff that has happened since the last Powerbook update. Apple introduced a multi-button mouse, for starters - I think the Powerbook might adopt a similair dual-zone trackpad button. Plus, there was that mistake in the last Powerbook manual that pointed to significant resolution increases for at least the 17" model - and that was straight from Apple. What, did their tech writer just pull that out of their ass? We saw Apple's patent for notebooks with built-in iSights - and then the iMac got a built-in iSight. I could go on...

I'm hoping the recent iMac update is a good example of what to expect. I'm hoping for significant under-the-hood changes, too (1.8/2.0 GHz 7448s would be nice, but I wouldn't put it past Apple to just bump it to 1.67/1.8 Ghz, in case they needed to squeeze more blood from a stone later), but if you think about the new iMacs, the 100 Mhz speed bump was probably the least significant upgrade.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-15, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Also, I'm quietly hoping for a gunmetal coloured enclosure.
Ditto, if by "gunmetal" you mean "matte black." Oh, and I guess I'm hoping for it not-so-quietly...
¡Damned!

2005-10-15, 16:45

Kind of. This knife handle is pretty close to what I'd like. Still anodized aluminum, but way sexier imo.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-15, 16:53

I see. I'd dig gunmetal a lot, too, but I just think Apple is more likely to introduce a pure black Powerbook, if anything. But who knows...maybe they want to save the "ooh" factor of a jet black Powerbook for Intel?
writhum

Send a message via AIM to writhum  
2005-10-15, 16:54

When are the intel pb's coming out again?
jondaapplegeek

Send a message via MSN to jondaapplegeek Send a message via Skype™ to jondaapplegeek 
2005-10-15, 16:56

i love the colour of my powerbook - I defiantly wouldn't want it black, but then again Im sure anything apple do, they will make it look good.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-15, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazabrit
I should think the Integrated iSight will only appear in the consumer macs (iBook in January?) and the iMac. Pro's usually spend their cash on these machines so they can use them for creative work and as mentioned before, a lot of people are prevented from having web cams at work (for security reasons). I think the external iSights will be updated (smaller) and to match the quality of the integrated cam.
You have a point, but Apple tends not to leave features out on pro machines that consumer machines have. Their pro machines are designed with "consumer, only better" in mind.

The only exception to this I can think of is in software: pro machines come with pro-related software (e.g. OmniGraffle, etc.), whereas consumer machines come with, well, the simpler stuff (e.g. a game, AppleWorks, etc.).
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-10-15, 16:59

Can't blame a man for dreaming about speed bumps, HD displays or even built-in iSight cameras. (Please, please.)
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-10-15, 17:20

My problem is that some of what is in the 4th choice I believe would go along with the 5th.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-10-15, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by writhum
When are the intel pb's coming out again?
Sometime between today and the end of summer 2006. I'm not trying to be smarmy; that's just the best guess with what we know at this point.

Filed under the heading "more specific speculation," some say perhaps the release will occur in January at MWSF, others say in March (spring), and yet still others at WWDC in late June/early July.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-10-15, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
Sometime between today and the end of summer 2006. I'm not trying to be smarmy; that's just the best guess with what we know at this point.

Filed under the heading "more specific speculation," some say perhaps the release will occur in January at MWSF, others say in March (spring), and yet still others at WWDC in late June/early July.
I see it more as a year from now.
Spike87

2005-10-15, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
I agree.

I think that Apple will proberbly have Intel PB's ready before then but that they will be waiting for the thumbs up from Adobe before they are released.

In other words there will be no Pro Intel based Macs until Photoshop is Universal Binary

EDIT: Oh yea, I voted for the "Typical speed bump" as I like the PB as it is but would like to see more for the money.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-10-15, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
Ach! I think I read the original question with "Intel Macs" rather than "Intel PB." Regardless, though, I've only read that the PBs will be one of the first--if not the first--MacIntel computers released (based on the "no G5 in the portables" theory/complaint).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-15, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
And, of course, by "the end of summer 2006" you actually mean "the end of 2007" because ol' Stevaroni Jobs said so.
Meltedbutter421

Send a message via AIM to Meltedbutter421  
2005-10-15, 22:31

i went with major facelift- didnt they register a patent that had a isight built into the powerbook??? if i remember correctly they did so im gonna say that... comes with remote, front row and photobooth just like the imac
EDIT: went ahead and found that thread iSight Built Into Laptop
Mightee

2005-10-16, 14:52

What are these things going to cost though, you think? Assuming the current models are all around, i.e. 12", 15" and 17".
geneman

Send a message via AIM to geneman  
2005-10-16, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightee
What are these things going to cost though, you think? Assuming the current models are all around, i.e. 12", 15" and 17".
Prices usually stay at the same level, maybe a hundred dollar to either side depending on what's in the update, i.e. small (insignificant) update $100 down, super update $100 up.

"What can be asserted without evidence, can also be dismissed without evidence." - C. Hitchens
Dave Hagan

2005-10-16, 19:12

15-inch
$1,799

17-inch
$2,299
Dima

Send a message via ICQ to Dima  
2005-10-16, 19:34

15-inch - $1,799

That would be nice... BTW, where will the powerbooks,which are being sold now, go after the upgrade? where did old generation iMacs go? seems just like they've dissapeared. but they definetly have to be somewhere - where you can buy them?
Mightee

2005-10-16, 20:07

You can usually find find older models at places like Mac Mall after an upgrade. Last week they still had an older 1.8Ghz model that wasn't offered anymore...

Anyway. $1,799 for a 15" PowerBook? What, with a SuperDrive you think? Why did you say that - to give a guy who's planning on buying one this week false hope? Curse you, Hagan!