Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

I think I know why they called it the "Mac" Book

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I think I know why they called it the "Mac" Book
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2006-01-16, 01:35

I had some what of a nightmare yesterday about the future of the MacBooks.
I think that Apple is going to start selling it with Windows installed as an option.
It sounds stupid I know but why else would you want to stick the MAC in the name? If you remember the iPod really took off only after they made it work with PCs. Also if you look at Palm they are now selling Palms with pockpc on it.

I am thinking Apple is gonna do what Palm did. Split up into hardware and software. Hardware caters for both MacOs and Windows while Software also caters to both. Imagine the iLife on windows for example. Apple could make a ton of money that way which is all they seem to care about recently.

Did what I just say now make any sense?

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-01-16, 01:49

Nope.
sonichart

2006-01-16, 01:53

I'll second that.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-01-16, 02:05

No, no, I think usurp might have something there...

They could call it a... *WinBook*!

usurp

2006-01-16, 02:34

i think everyone is in denial
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-16, 02:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
i think everyone is in denial
That would include you.

It's really simple. Although the "Power" in "PowerBook" did not originally stand for "PowerPC", it was clearly associated with that once Apple introduced the "PowerMacintosh", which did in fact stand for "PowerPC". This became even more obvious when Apple switched (somewhat temporarily) to their 2x2 matrix.

Secondarily, "Power" was also, of course, supposed to represent being for prosumers and/or professionals. However, Apple more typically uses the suffix "Pro" rather than the prefix "Power" for this (e.g. Final Cut Pro) and, in fact, has for a long time (e.g. FileMaker Pro or System 7 Pro, dating all the way back until the early 90s).

Finally, "Power" also, of course, has a connotation of high performance. To Apple's embarrassment, recent G4 CPUs didn't exactly deliver that. While being very good in terms of low power consumption, they also didn't scale enough at the same time, and especially nowhere near as greatly as Freescale kept on promising (although it looks like the 7448 will be available in speeds close to 2 GHz after all).

Then there's the fact that, being Intel-based, little differentiates the machine hardware-wise from a different-branded laptop. Apple laptops have been produced by ODMs for a long time anyway (Quanta, Asustek, etc.). Putting "Mac" in the name helps a lot to distinguish the machine from another vendor's offerings.

It has very little to do with whether it runs other operating systems or not. Apple likes simple names and products that just make sense. Whether they sound catchy is only the second priority, not the first. "Mac Book Pro" answers, within the name itself, three questions: it's a Mac, it's a notebook and it's for professionals.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-01-16, 02:59

blah blah blah fishcakes

I think they called it a 'Mac' book because, maybe, just *maybe*... it's a Mac.

I know, I know, crazy as all heck, but there it is.
saschke

Send a message via ICQ to saschke Send a message via MSN to saschke  
2006-01-16, 07:55

i have to completly agree with chucker here.
MacBook Pro - a Mac notebook for pro's. No questioning...
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-01-16, 07:58

Just so long as they don't go and rename the PowerMac to "Mac Pro", I'll be happy.
usurp

2006-01-16, 08:11

i am bookmarking this topic so i can come back to it in the future and tell you guys "I told you so"

but seriously though, why is it hard to imagine that Apple might be interested in letting users run windows on their macs. I don't like the idea but I am a terrible business man also.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-16, 08:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode
Just so long as they don't go and rename the PowerMac to "Mac Pro", I'll be happy.
I wouldn't be surprised if they do.
jondaapplegeek

Send a message via MSN to jondaapplegeek Send a message via Skype™ to jondaapplegeek 
2006-01-16, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
Imagine the iLife on windows for example. Apple could make a ton of money that way which is all they seem to care about recently.
I could see them making iLife, possibly even iWork etc made for Windowz, but no way selling Windowz on Apple hardware...
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2006-01-16, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
I wouldn't be surprised if they do.
Yeah, I thought that was the obvious next step in the renaming of the Mac line.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-16, 09:38

Bookmark all you want, usurp. You're still smoking crack.

Dr. Kick's post is the most reasonable one in this entire thread. No need to get all Fox Mulder about it.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-01-16, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kickaha
They could call it a... *WinBook*!
Yay! Everyone's a Winner!

Mac Pro would be consistent, no? It would annoy me more at this point to leave PowerMac having dropped PowerBook.
chucker

2006-01-16, 12:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Dr. Kick's post is the most reasonable one in this entire thread.
I feel insulted now.