The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 2 of 103 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-03-31, 11:11

Ha! When did you become thegelding?

Nah, they just seem to fall into a pattern. Visually, they're breathtaking and top-notch...no complaints whatsoever on that front.

But they seem to adhere to the same predictable plots and characters that marked a lot of that formulaic stuff Disney was flinging out in the 90's.

It just simply does not look inviting to me at all. I LOVED "Toy Story", but with each passing feature I've been a bit more disappointed or unimpressed, sadly. You got the lead, you got the funny/bumbling sidekick(s), a parent possibly killed, a final redeeming act where the lead character rediscovers his goodness/power, celebrity stunt-casting voice work, etc.

Been there, done that. A dozen times, it seems.

That's all. Nothing deeper than that!

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-03-31, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
You got the lead, you got the funny/bumbling sidekick(s), a parent possibly killed, a final redeeming act where the lead character rediscovers his goodness/power, celebrity stunt-casting voice work, etc.
Yeah, Pixar's work isn't the most original stuff to ever grace the big screen. The bumbling sidekicks actually annoy me: in general I don't get much pleasure from the misfortune of others, especially if the laughs derive from their social inadequacy (while at school I always tried to get the rejects involved in things that were happening). But the CGI is simply breathtaking. That said, I actually prefer the work of PDI/DreamWorks SKG. I thought Shrek & Shrek 2 were particularly good, with their cheeky references to pop culture, etc. Just seemed a little sharper than Pixar's stuff (is that heresy on an Apple site?!).

Anyway, I seem to have derailed the thread. Back to current movies (haven't seen any for a few weeks)…
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-31, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Anyway, I seem to have derailed the thread. Back to current movies (haven't seen any for a few weeks)…
No, don't stop now!

This is the *perfect* place for all kinds of movie discussion.

I think your comments were interesting.

In fact, I'm thinking of changing the title to "The Movie Thread", so people will feel free to discuss *anything* with regard to films, past or present.

This thread could be a place to:

~ rate and discuss current films

~ discuss past films and any movie-related topics of interest to AN members.

I am the *last* person on this board to restrict any discussion that members find enjoyment in pursuing.

I mean, to me, discussion (and the free exchange of ideas among us), is the best part of our existence on the internet.

So, Dorian, if what you have to say has *anything* at all to do with movies, past or current, please feel free to say it here.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-04-24 at 13:19.
Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-03-31, 13:50

I would recommend all of you music-lovers to go and see this movie: 'The Devil and Daniel Johnston'

http://www.sonyclassics.com/devilanddaniel/trailer.html

I also recently bought some songs from this amazingly pure-hearted, straightforward artist and... pfhh... they take my breath away.

EDIT: Dear Windswept, did you kow that Johnny Depp is huge fan of Daniel Johnston (I wouldn't kick Johnny Depp out of my bed even he was dressed up like a bloody pirate... but seriously I would rather see him play in a finished version of Don Quichote de la Mancha by Terry Gilliam)

Last edited by Oompa Loompa : 2006-03-31 at 14:04.
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-03-31, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
"We got motherfuckin' snakes!"
Why did it have to be snakes??

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-03-31, 23:07

My most-anticipated movies this year:

Pirates 2. Duh. It won't be as good as the original (double duh,) but it will be entertaining enough to keep hopes alive for Pirates 3. Still, we all remember how the last back-to-back installments of a hot action trilogy turned out... *shudders*

Zodiac. Jake Gyllenhaal ("Donnie Darko," "Brokeback Mountain") in another David Fincher ("Se7en") serial killer thriller? I'm so totally there. Especially since Gary Oldman was dropped from the cast. (He's not a bad actor, per se, but he always finds his way into my favorite movies. He's kinda creepy like that.)

The Da Vinci Code - Honestly, who isn't looking forward to this one? Besides the Catholic Church, that is. Tom Hanks and the lovely Audrey Tautou ("Amelie") might help Code to live up to the enormous hype. In the meantime, I have to read the book...

Snakes on a Plane: Yes, I will see it just to see how bad it is. With a title like that, I predict it will top the opening weekend.

That said, since this is a thread for all sorts of movie discussion:

I was in Vegas for Spring Break. No, I did not get "lucky." Yes, I did check out the Apple Store (smaller than the Mall of America's, and Minnesota has three!). But I digress.

I was walking down the Strip, passing Caesar's Palace. I see a bright red Viper pulling in on the driveway I'm about to cross. Ironically, my first thought is, "I bet that's rented."

A glance at the driver reveals Tom Cruise. Or someone who looks EXACTLY like Tom Cruise - same hair, same fashion sense, same got-braces-for-a-year-because-it-wasn't-quite-perfect-enough smile. Unfortunately, I didn't get a good look at his co-pilot.

I can't say for sure whether he was the original Sexiest Man Alive or not, but I'm not sure how many imposters could afford a Viper.

I know, it probably seems so Stephen-Glass-in-"Shattered-Glass"-ish (if you haven't seen that movie, rent it), but I swear it's true. I think.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Anonymous Coward

2006-04-01, 02:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
~ discuss past films and any movie-related topics of interest to AN members.
What about a movie that will probably never be released on DVD (except on eBay)?
– one of those films you either like or don't like
– considered by some to be a cult movie
– speculation is that it will never be released because of licensing problems with the songs in its soundtrack
(including P.P. Arnold, Jeff Lynne, Culture Club/Helen Terry, Giorgio Moroder, Heaven 17, Phil Oakey, and Peter Frampton, and, of course, that doesn't include all the music used in the movie)
– mentions "Apple", as in computer, only once (but does include some Apple floppy disc drives)
– is one of the few movies including his sister that Michael Madsen might watch
– claimed to be one of the most pirated movies (because it is hard to find otherwise, except as an $80 VHS tape)
– features San Francisco, California, but most scenes were filmed in England

Electric Dreams (1984)
I saw it once many years ago and have been looking for it without success (that is, prior to the Internet).
I can watch it over and over, and don't really notice any slow spots. It's a nice story. Some of the language is slightly coarse by the standards at that time, but nothing that this generation would even notice as out of the ordinary. There's a nice sequence at the end of the credits. The storyline is probably predicable and familiar after all these years, but if you're going to watch this as a critic rather than just for entertainment, you probably won't like it. This isn't much of a review, but I won't do the movie any injustice by including anything else that might be a spoiler. (IMDB 5.9, Rotten Tomatoes: Rotten 40%, but do you really trust those people? Amazon 5/5. It's one of the three movies I own – Serenity, Electric Dreams, and The Sand Pebbles.)

I got the soundtrack a few weeks ago and have listened to it every day on my way to and from school. (Okay, so my tastes aren't the most sophisticated. The player in my car has James Taylor, Carly Simon, George Winston's December, and the Firefly TV series soundtrack. If I could find my CDs, I'd probably have Peter, Paul, and Mary or a bluegrass album also.) Yes, I keep skipping all the other CDs to repeat that one over and over.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-04-02, 00:10

Good Night and Good Luck.

Go rent it and be amazed. Great movie. You'll learn something important, you'll be entertained, and you'll realize just how far television has fallen and failed us.

Great flick. The fellow who played Murrow probably deserved that Academy award IMO but what can you do. Other than see the movie for yourself and be amazed. Great script, BW / lighting was amazing, and the characters were all cast and directed very well to Clooney's credit. I'm buyin' it, and I can't think of but one or two movies I've ever rented, that I liked enough to buy.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-04-02, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs

Go rent it and be amazed. Great movie. You'll learn something important, you'll be entertained, and you'll realize just how far television has fallen and failed us.

Great flick. The fellow who played Murrow probably deserved that Academy award IMO but what can you do. Other than see the movie for yourself and be amazed. Great script, BW / lighting was amazing, and the characters were all cast and directed very well to Clooney's credit. I'm buyin' it, and I can't think of but one or two movies I've ever rented, that I liked enough to buy.
I rented that this weekend. It was pretty good, except that my current television has *horrible* black levels, so it made some scenes hard to make out, and being a B&W film just made that worse. I plan on renting it again once I finish the home theater. (Of course, to finish, I have to start)

I also rented Everything is Illuminated, which I liked better than Good Night and Good Luck. It stars Elijah Wood as the American Jew trying to find the woman who rescued his grandfather from the Nazi's in a small Ukrainian village. Most of the movie is told through the subtitles of the Ukrainian characters and the (very funny) broken English of the translator Alex. It's a bit of a bizarre movie, but I still liked. My rating: 9/10.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-04-02, 22:28

The cinematography in Good Night and Good Luck is *palpable*. On a good TV you will be fucking amazed. Hear me now and believe me later: your orindary TV knows not the world of rich texture.

Re: the Elijah wood movie... could've sworn there was a preview for a movie just like that but it was more like Everything is ... something. Sequel or the same movie? Because they were previewing this movie along with another I know has not come out yet about two guys in Isreal one of whom is a would-be bus bomber or some such. At least I don't think it has.

Anyway these Warner Independent films are pretty damn good so far.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-04-02, 23:14

Quote:
The cinematography in Good Night and Good Luck is *palpable*. On a good TV you will be fucking amazed. Hear me now and believe me later: your orindary TV knows not the world of rich texture.

Re: the Elijah wood movie... could've sworn there was a preview for a movie just like that but it was more like Everything is ... something. Sequel or the same movie? Because they were previewing this movie along with another I know has not come out yet about two guys in Isreal one of whom is a would-be bus bomber or some such. At least I don't think it has.

Anyway these Warner Independent films are pretty damn good so far.
Everything is Illuminated is based on a book by the same name. It's not a sequel.

The other movie you're thinking of is Paradise Now. I haven't seen it yet, but it is out. I saw it at Hollywood Video a few days ago. It's about two men who are recruited for a suicide bombing in Tel Aviv. It's supposed to be good, and it won the Best Foreign Language film award at Sundance (it's in Arabic with English subtitles).
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-04-02, 23:42

Anonymous Coward - is your name Moles Miles by any chance?
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-04-02, 23:57

Billybobsky's gay upstairs neighbor's hour long sexual escapade as captured from every corner of billybobsky's apartment -- sound only (no subtitles provided)...

Vomit-inducing? Yes
Bondage-like? Possibly
One old gay guy screaming like a woman? Yes
One younger gay guy commenting every once in a while in not so terribly clear audio? Yes
Uninspired sound track? Certainly, and quite unable to conceal sexual act to neighbors
Does Billybobsky ever want to hear anything like that again? No, NO, AND NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars, they both got off, so I have to give the old guy his props, even if i want to never ever ever ever ever remember this night again, ever...

Edit: Ever...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-03, 00:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
Billybobsky's gay upstairs neighbor's hour long sexual escapade as captured from every corner of billybobsky's apartment -- sound only (no subtitles provided)...

Ah... the joys of apartment living.

Reminds me of my first apt. after I graduated from college. One night our neighbor's headboard was banging against the wall really loudly. So we took a brick from our bookshelf and banged it against the wall in time with him. His sound stopped, replaced by our loud laughter. Tsk. I'm afraid we completely spoiled his fun. Tsk, tsk.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-04-03, 00:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept

Ah... the joys of apartment living.

Reminds me of my first apt. after I graduated from college. One night our neighbor's headboard was banging against the wall really loudly. So we took a brick from our bookshelf and banged it against the wall in time with him. His sound stopped, replaced by our loud laughter. Tsk. I'm afraid we completely spoiled his fun. Tsk, tsk.
No worries. If he noticed the sound, he wasn't really having fun anyway.
Anonymous Coward

2006-04-03, 02:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
Anonymous Coward - is your name Moles Miles by any chance?
Sorry, as a matter of fact, I'm a couple of years older than Miles.
And, I've never owned a Pinecone Computer. But I do remember making menus like that in DOS.

Anyway, I hope this encourages someone to at least take a look at this movie. Right now it's my very favorite for light entertainment.

Sure, it came out over 20 years ago, after I'd been in the Navy for a few years, but I think people today would still enjoy it.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-04-03, 08:16

Bobsky, you have my sympathies. I think I would jump out my fucking window if I were subjected to such things on a daily basis.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-04-03, 08:26

I saw "Slither" a couple days ago with my friends. It was pretty hilarious. If you want to see a movie about zombie parasites from outer space, this is the movie for you. It adheres to all the zombie movie conventions, right down to taking place in a southern town full of rednecks and having one of the characters have trouble starting their car.

Amazingly (or perhaps not surprisingly), the overall RottenTomatoes score for the movie is 86%, just because it's such a good take on the silly horror genre. It never takes itself seriously and that helps tremendously.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-04-03, 08:35

Yeah, I forgot to add "The DaVinci Code" earlier.

I read the book about two weeks ago (all in one shot on a Sunday, go figure). I know it'll have various sides all up in arms and whining, but it was an okay book. I've heard it all before, the basic gist/plot grabber.

I don't think Dan Brown is that great of a writer. In fact, several times throughout, I actually thought to myself "I believe I could write this...". Kinda basic and elementary. I can't put my finger quite on it, but it just struck me as "first draft-y" and borderline hack-ish. Almost like you're being talked down to, and having everything explained - again - in slow, "okay, listen this time..." detail. I wasn't allowed to make my OWN connections, you know? That bugged me some.

"Jeez, I've written better posts at 'Nova while half asleep!"

But having read it, I'm curious to see how closely the movie does - or doesn't - follow it. I'm a little Tom Hanks-ed out at this point, but Ian McKellan is in it, as is Jean Reno. And I like them both.

And I figure the cinematography and locations shown will be nice to look at.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-04-08, 11:04

Okay, Windswept, I'll personally recommend an older film to you then. It's one I stumbled across while flicking through channels in a hotel room a few years ago, and it had me riveted to the screen until it finished, when I wrote down the title so I could find out more about it. It's a quirky Welsh film from 2000 called Very Annie-Mary.

The critics were very much divided over its worth, but I think we can safely ignore those who damned it for its "tedious sentimentality". Yes, it contains a good deal of sentimentality, but knowingly so: the director, Sara Sugarman, is a master at mocking the very sentimentality that many of the dim-witted critics took at face value. It's certainly not a polished piece of perfection like Amelie, but in many ways it could be compared to that masterpiece: it's wildly humorous at times, occasionally so eccentric that it becomes mildly embarrassing to watch, and edifying only in the most limited satirical sense. It does have moments of poignancy far more intense than anything Amelie delivered, though.

I think in this case it is useful to compare the reviews of the professional critics with those of the general public. Tiscali, a mainstream ISP-cum-portal, rates it 2/10. On Rotten Tomatoes 30% of the critics recommend it, compared to 100% of the viewers. On the UK Amazon site an incredible 13 out of 16 reviewers gave it a full 5 stars (the remaining three reviewers gave it 4 stars). On the US Amazon site 6 out of 9 reviewers gave it 5 stars (their reviews are worth reading too). Looks very much like yet another case of professional reviewers not wanting to admit in public that they love a low-budget film, if you ask me! For what it's worth, I hereby announce that I rate it 9/10. A true gem that one rarely has the pleasure of finding. My only complaint is it was too short at 105 minutes!

It's risky to say so, but I think you would also thoroughly enjoy it.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-04-08, 11:21

Golden Turkey of this week - Supernova! What a load of crap!

Best movie - Syriana. But boy have you got to work to keep on top of who is who and why this and that happens!!

Most looking forward to - Ice Age II with your truly in an expanded roll!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-04-08, 13:46

Quote:

Ooh, I've been wanting to see that for a long time. I love black and white movies. It has one of my favorite movie posters, to boot.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-08, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Okay, Windswept, I'll personally recommend an older film to you then. It's one I stumbled across while flicking through channels in a hotel room a few years ago, and it had me riveted to the screen until it finished, when I wrote down the title so I could find out more about it. It's a quirky Welsh film from 2000 called Very Annie-Mary.
Hey, Dorian, thanks for the recommendation. It definitely sounds like an interesting film. I do very much like the small-budget marvels that surface from time to time, and would love to see this one. I don't have time to read the reviews right now, but am looking forward to doing so later.

I'd like to ask your opinion of the film 24 Hour Party People. A friend from Manchester recommended it to me, but I haven't had a chance to see it yet. I imagine you've seen it. Here's a snippet from an imdb reviewer:

Quote:
24 Hour Party People is just one of those movies that has that click with the subject matter. The actual style of the film corresponds with the music, the irreverence, and the energy of it all. But there's more than just the unconventionality of the script and direction; the film has that sort of stream-of-thought, wry, distinct British humor to it, and a sincerity beneath the absurdist parts. [snip]

As much biography as musical, 24 Hour Party People brings to light the scene of Manchester as a history lesson, but an entertaining one to boot. Bands like New Order (the form after Joy Division split) will be known to most who follow music, but if you're not really steeped in the new-wave/dance scene of the 80's and 90's, some of the bands may sound totally unfamiliar. Still, this is not an automatic deterrent- the music is what it is, and most who will want to see the film will know what they're they're getting (in truth, the ratio of British punk and new-wave vs. electronica is fairly balanced).
My friend was at uni during the whole Madchester scene, so I guess he wanted me to see what those times were like back then.

Quote:
A true gem that one rarely has the pleasure of finding. My only complaint is it was too short at 105 minutes!

It's risky to say so, but I think you would also thoroughly enjoy it.
Oh, not so risky. I find plenty to enjoy in almost everything.

Thanks for your post, Dorian. I really *love* reading everything you write. Your skill is remarkable, and your posts are always a delight to experience.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-08, 14:58

Oh, Dorian, have you ever seen the French film called "Horseman on the Roof", with Juliette Binoche?

I thought the scene in front of the fireplace was pretty... uh... 'amazing'.

Or the old Depardieu film called Maitresse that I checked out from my public library recently. I canNOT believe that I found that on a public library shelf in the US of A!
wecallitfall

2006-04-09, 10:36

can someone tell me if CRASH is anygood and whats it about

[/laziness]
¡Damned!

2006-04-09, 10:46

Getting off on semen, blood and engine coolant.

The book was better.

[/intentional misdirection]

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-04-09, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecallitfall

[/laziness]
I thought it was a great movie..

A bit like 21 Grams in format : Lots of stories interwoven...
But with a leaning towards racial and social issues.

Good movie.

Last edited by scratt : 2006-04-09 at 21:27.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-04-09, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecallitfall

[/laziness]
You'll either like it or hate it... some say it's a touching and critical look at racism in modern society (and not just racism by whites against blacks), while others will say it's overwrought and preachy. I saw it once and I haven't really decided which camp I'm in. I'm leaning towards the "preachy" angle... I didn't hate the movie, but I also didn't think it was just excellent. It just didn't do much for me.

Keep in mind that it won Best Picture. If you like the kinds of movies that tend to win the Best Picture Oscar, you should probably see it. I generally don't like those kinds of movies.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-04-09, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I saw "Slither" a couple days ago with my friends. It was pretty hilarious. If you want to see a movie about zombie parasites from outer space, this is the movie for you. It adheres to all the zombie movie conventions, right down to taking place in a southern town full of rednecks and having one of the characters have trouble starting their car.

Amazingly (or perhaps not surprisingly), the overall RottenTomatoes score for the movie is 86%, just because it's such a good take on the silly horror genre. It never takes itself seriously and that helps tremendously.
Yeah man, I've been looking forward to this one for a long time.

It's on my To Do list for next week.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-04-09, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Yeah, I forgot to add "The DaVinci Code" earlier.

And I figure the cinematography and locations shown will be nice to look at.
I mixed some "media concept pieces" (trailers for cell phones, I'm guessing) last week and I'm expecting to do more this coming week.
The film looks great from what I've seen.

I haven't read the book, but I'm really looking forward to seeing this one.