User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Commercials you love or hate

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Commercials you love or hate
Page 16 of 21 First Previous 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20  Next Last Thread Tools
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-04-18, 08:52

Whoever made the dumbass Tracy Morgan commercial about the dumbest product ever made (spray some coloring and sugar into your water to make it more exciting!), deserves prison time.

Also not a big fan of the Geico Happier Than... ads although there was one that I liked. The Antelope with Night Vision goggles had a totally different vibe than the others and is much more clever / humorous IMO. Also the Geico flat tire ad is maybe the worst one they've ever made.

Other than that I think I've said this prior but I want everyone associated with the Swiffer ads that use cheesy 70s and 80s songs and stupid inanimate objects moving back and forth, to be dropped onto the event horizon of the nearest available black hole so their bodies can be instantly stretched into spaghetti-thin shreds and then consumed by the universe and converted into energy. It's the only way they'll ever be useful.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2013-04-18, 15:49

As usual, I don't know what tissue the ad is for, but there is a young bear that says, "We all go. Why not enjoy the go?" I find this ad mildly disgusting. Ugh. Asking people continually throughout the day not only to think about but also advising them to *enjoy* their own excretory functions is a fairly repellent concept for a television commercial.

It's not quite as bad as that absolutely hideous ad that actually shoved a baby's backside wearing a very full diaper into the tv viewer's face. That one didn't seem to last long, maybe because people were so grossed out by it. Triple ugh.

If tissue companies want to advertise the softness of their tissue, fine. But please do it in a tasteful way without lecturing us about how we should feel about our own (and none of their concern's) bodily functions.
Foj
Veteran Member

2013-04-21, 11:05

This is one ad that I like, even if I probably won't ever buy the product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_CDLBTJD4M
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-04-26, 18:44

Will add this one to the like side of the equation. Audio in this one sucks a little so some sense of it is lost but NHL finally got one right. Shows hockey fans in a pretty humorous way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY7jMd3Hk3s

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2013-04-26, 19:11

The NHL has hit it out of the park with their playoff ads over the past few years.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-04-27, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
The NHL has hit it out of the park with their playoff ads over the past few years.
In retrospect not a big fan of the history will be made series (on the whole) but the more energetic spots this year and last are pretty good.

The Penguins, for all the abuse they get, have continuously improved their TV spots (aimed at college age fans) the last few years and they've gotten to the point where they're really catchy / well-done spots. Far better than what the local Pittsburgh media itself produces. If I were a college kid I'd definitely be doing the "student rushes" for the games, etc. They would own my soul.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-06-07, 22:30

Oh my.
¡Damned!

2013-06-08, 01:33

I've seen a couple versions of that ad (though not that one) and the thing that disturbs me the most is that she doesn't sound Scottish to me at all. To my (maybe off, given) ear her intonations sound too forced.

She's sexy as all fuck, yes, but she doesn't sound as guttural as I expect from a Scottish chick.

I recognize her from that terrible Brad Pitt zombie movie (Meet Joe Black -- don't judge me because I know that) and she was adorable. But, looking at her IMDB page, apparently she's English. That's too funny, because we just had a conversation on here not too long ago about how the English can totally nail an American accent, but apparently closer parts of the Empire are more difficult.

Nothing against her, mind, I just thought that was kind've funny. I'd have a Scotch with her anytime, anywhere (as long as she didn't try to sound Scottish ).

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2013-06-08, 01:42

* disclaimer: everything I know about the Scottish is that they will eventually say to you "GIT EN MA BELLAA"

It was in a documentary or something.

Scary shit, those Scots.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-06-08, 08:48

She looks familiar, not sure why... but what an awful commercial.

It's like, designed for 14 year old boys... why would she rip open a screen? Wait, no, why would a sexy woman be at a house with screen windows in the first place? Rich people houses don't have storm windows or screened windows of that shabby nature.

AND SHE TEARS IT WITH HER FINGERNAIL??

Nasty. And not even in a sexy way.

And to mythologize an already distressed bee population by showing that they'll sting given no provocation? That's just irresponsible.

Finally, they've told me nothing about their product AND they've made me listen to some really shitty canned music that may (or may not be) the most unimaginative jazz ever recorded by session musicians.

And yes, the accent is bogus too, and if you're going to have already done so many bad things why don't you have a redheaded girl in a kilt showing a ton of cleavage, wielding an authentic Scottish brogue?

Come ON Scates!!

You're just getting lazy now.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-06-08, 09:35

Are you making fun of my "Star Trek" review?

I don't give two rips about her accent, torn screens, bad jazz, etc. Look at her!!
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-06-08, 11:39

Last ten years. Great ad campaign. Look it up.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-06-08, 23:46

Do infomercials count?
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-06-09, 05:48

I knew the guy who thought this campaign up. Glad to see it got done. Brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo6QNU8kHxI
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-06-09, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Are you making fun of my "Star Trek" review?

I don't give two rips about her accent, torn screens, bad jazz, etc. Look at her!!
The man has a point.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2013-06-10, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Last ten years. Great ad campaign. Look it up.
I tried. The words are too generic to produce a sensible result. Have you got a pointer?

Edit: scratch that. I had planned to ask you to follow up when I read your first post a few days ago, and did so now without having seen your latest post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Do infomercials count?
Yes, but I didn’t know informercials could afford to hire your kind of vixen. (Or is it a “hate”?) What have you got for us?
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-06-10, 18:00

Sorry, the campaign is actually "Make Health Last", the last ten years are just the narrative device. Still great.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-06-10, 18:47

You know... I try. When I talk to my peers and they preach the ways of acceptance and non-violence... I really try. But when I think of the Discover Card "It Card" commercials... with their catchy language and stupid back-and-forth dialogs... and I realize how many years we'll have to carry the memory of their idiotic "card for everyone imagery" in our head..... I just go Beh-serk!

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-06-10, 19:10

Which reminds me of a video you will all love once you see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVX-voqWuwY
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-06-10, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
I tried. The words are too generic to produce a sensible result. Have you got a pointer?

Edit: scratch that. I had planned to ask you to follow up when I read your first post a few days ago, and did so now without having seen your latest post.

Yes, but I didn’t know informercials could afford to hire your kind of vixen. (Or is it a “hate”?) What have you got for us?
It was definitely a "like"!

It was some exercise system called Fluidity(?), and the entire thing - I was at the pub, and I'd had a few so I might've been watching it longer, with more interest, than I normally would had I had access to a remote control? - was nothing but short-haired, barefoot 40-somethings in yoga pants bending and contorting themselves for half an hour. I actually glanced around, and I was not alone in my appreciation/admiration for the thing. I think a dozen of us formed an informal Fluidity Appreciation Society...

It was pretty much the greatest thing I'd ever seen on TV.

This infomercial managed to hire about 8-10 of my "kind of vixen".
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2013-06-18, 18:37

Dumb Ways to Die

Catchy jingle, great animations, and clever concepts make for a memorable campaign up for an award in Cannes.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2013-07-01, 22:30

I love that. I didn't realize it was an ad until now. The problem is that the song will now be stuck in my head until I drink enough to shut it up.

Come waste your time with me
Windswept
On Pacific time

2013-09-01, 18:23

A sweet-looking 7-year-old girl with blonde ringlets opens her mouth to speak, and out comes the gruff, unappealing voice of a fifty-year-old trucker who's got a beer belly hanging over his belt. As usual, I can't remember the company, which shows again how distracting such gimmicky strategems are. Anytime the viewer can't remember the actual company involved because he/she is totally side-tracked and distracted by some gimmick, just shows the ad fails at its purpose of promoting the company and its product. I *hate* these types of ads now, because they are proliferating, with a new one every few weeks.

I still love the e-trade babies. They did such a great job with those ads, and the babies' voices have never failed to be appealing, even after repeated viewings. The voices are of young men in their early twenties, not obese trucker types. The agencies should realize that the voice has to be of someone appealing to the viewer, not of someone who is off-putting or even repulsive.

I often like animals in ads, though I don't like the baked beans dog with the trucker type voice. Not appealing to ruin the charm of the dog itself with such a voice. The dog's charm is kept in the Milk-Bone ad, with that oddly catchy tune that plays as the dog runs to greet the lady at the front door.

I like the owls with the articulate female and the male who drives her crazy as he keeps saying "Who?" It's funny enough to keep watching, at least for me.

And there are some Windex crows who do a dance on a branch to a catchy tune. It's fun to watch, and even though they have old guy type voices, the voices seem to *fit* the crows, and so it works in this case.

But the bear family now, going on and on about "enjoying the go." Ugh. I loathe the agency doing these ads. They try to make an "elimination" ad cute, which is even more offensive. Why not focus on the softness of the tissue, not on the act itself? Creeps. I wish for a way to send an immediate annoyed response to these ad people, besides the flimsy option of merely changing the channel.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2013-09-06, 18:12

How could I forget that obnoxious camel, who strolls into a sea of office cubicles, asking each employee who can't escape him, "Do you know what *day* it is?"

He has an obnoxious voice that fits perfectly with his persona; and when the last long-suffering lady finally answers his question with the words "Hump Day," he gleefully strolls off into the next room.

I can't help watching his legs and feet as he walks, I guess because I've never seen a camel strolling on a tile floor before. It's interesting how he puts each front foot directly in line with the other. Maybe that's the best kind of stride for walking in sand. Look at his long bony legs, his huge knee bones, and of course those odd camel feet (hooves?). It's interesting just to watch him walk. For once, I know that it's a Geico ad, but only because they have those two guys playing a banjo or something at the end.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2013-09-07, 11:52

It's been a long time since I laughed when watching an election spot.
Here's a spot made by a german union. Not directly for a specific party, but mainly to get people to vote (to mobilize those who think the outcome is already clear).

Maybe NSFW (you'll see a naked man running by for a second).

Translation of the subtitles:
"Geh wählen" -> Go vote
"Deutschland entspannt sich" -> Germany relaxes
"2013 Alle wichtigen Entscheidungen sind gefallen" -> 2013 All importent decisions have been made
"Wirklich schon entschieden?" -> Really made?
"Am 22.09 werden die Karten neu gemischt" -> On 09/22, the cards are been reshuffled
"Bundestagswahl 2013" -> Federal election 2013
"Probleme gibt's genug" -> There are enough problems
"Kein Bock auf miese Jobs?" -> Don't feel like having a lousy job?
"Zu wenig Betreuungsplätze" -> To few day care-places?
"Besser früher in Rente" -> Better earlier retirement?
"Bessere Bildung" -> Better education?
"Mehr Gerechtigkeit" -> More justice
"Du hast eine Stimme - Nutze Sie " -> You have a voice - use it (in german: Stimme = vote = voice)
"Am 22.09. wird gewählt" -> On 09/22 is the election
"Es wird knapp" -> It will get close
"Es wird hart" -> It will get tough
"Es wird schmutzig" -> It will get dirty
"Ungeahnte Koalitionen entstehen" -> Unexpected coalitions develop
"Zeit auf den Tisch zu hauen" -> "Time to knock on the table"
"Gib dir einen Ruck" -> go for it
"Auf zur Bundestagswahl" -> On to the federal vote

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2013-09-07, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
Dumb Ways to Die

Catchy jingle, great animations, and clever concepts make for a memorable campaign up for an award in Cannes.
You know, that looks a lot like a Don Hertzfeldt animation, based on the style and dancing of the expired medicine dude. Looks like these little adorable guys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M17aG_Po2Y
Mac+
9" monochrome

2013-09-07, 20:15

Ah, Dumb Ways to Die - that's our public transport system media campaign.

If only that money had been spent making sure the Myki ticketing system worked before implementing it.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2013-09-08, 22:42

Hulu Plus has several shows that are sponsored by the Microsoft Surface. The commercial where they compare it to the iPad is laughable, in a bad way. After seeing it a handful of times my wife, who isn't a techy by any means, actually said, "I don't know, this seems like bullshit. Who really needs to plug a USB drive into their tablet? Don't they know about the internet?" Hilarious.

It's a seriously stupid commercial though.

Come waste your time with me
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2013-09-10, 01:56

A whole lot of those Surface commercials are running during shows which are Surface commercials themselves.
bikingolson

2013-09-11, 10:44

anything that's on Spotify