User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 129 of 222 First Previous 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-23, 18:36

This is weird...they're on the same team.

Going by the ages, the time of year and a few other things, I'm going to guess the deceased 28-year-old was a full-time UPS driver (sweet gig), and the 19-year-old was his holiday assistant/runner (because there's no way it was the other way around, trust me). You see those this time a year, a part-time/seasonal worker riding along with the driver and running boxes to people's doors/porches during this heavy period of deliveries. I did this ages ago...good, easy way to drop a few pounds and say "hello" to stay-at-home vixen soccer moms. They always love to see their man in brown, temp or not, coming up the sidewalk/driveway.

Curious to know what could've led to murder between two UPS workers on their holiday route.

Politics? Sports? Ribbing gone too far? Something obviously triggered Lestat.

One vampire joke too many?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-23, 18:43

He was pissed off that his grandmother stole his xmas gift?

One dude knocked up the other dude's 16-year-old sister?

This is a weird world, man.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-23, 18:45

...and this time of year always seems to amplify it.

It starts with that Black Friday nonsense, and (alleged) adults fighting over useless stuff they could easily live without.

"This VHS player is on sale for $2 for the next 42 seconds, and I'm gonna beat the sweet living hell out of anyone who gets in my way!"

Everyone talks about how turkey makes you sleepy. I'm thinking there's also some other component that makes you an asshole, and seems to stay in one's system a full 24-36 hours. Think about it...that's the one common factor. Everyone's waddling into the mall, Walmart and Best Buy one day after a turkey binge.

Or maybe it's those evil cranberries. I've never trusted them either.

'Tis the season.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-12-23, 19:29

You never know, these days all it takes is looking at someone the wrong way.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-23, 19:40

That's it. I've had it. You're banned!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-12-23, 19:47

Was it the greasy chicken I sent to your store via UPS?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-24, 11:14

It was delicious!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-25, 13:19

Well good grief...

Explosion in downtown Nashville thought to be intentional.

No deaths, thank goodness, but some injuries and a lot of building damage.

I do find the timing and location interesting.

If the aim was kill innocents, a better location than downtown at 6am on Christmas would've been a better choice (say, a mall tomorrow afternoon filled with return/exchange and gift card shoppers), so I think this was more of a "message" or "blow shit up just to blow shit up" move, because simply altering the day and time would've resulted in true devastation and human casualties. Lots of nice, big malls all around Nashville...I lived there in 1997-1998 and I know them quite well (and there are probably even a few more since I've been gone).

But whackjobs don't always need a reason, do they?

EDIT: Me, and everyone I know locally who's with AT&T (Mom, Dad and stepmom, my sister and her family, two friends and their family, etc.) are all seeing "no service" at the top of their iPhones. One of the buildings hit/damaged was the big AT&T building (if you ever see a pic of the Nashville skyline, it's the biggest, tallest building with the two spires making it look like Batman), so I guess things were damaged? There has to be a connection. Outage maps show widespread reports in the Nashville metro area, down to Chattanooga and even to Atlanta...a bit red circle sitting over a large chunk of the southeast.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-25 at 14:12.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-25, 15:37

The authorities apparently didn't want the information out there yet, but one of the reporters asked during the news conference about a countdown warning coming from a PA in the van – so the perps apparently didn't even want to cause civilian injury, but to take out a communications station. That right there my friends is war.

My first money is on a wingnut, not a state sponsor.

We'll find out.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2020-12-25, 15:47

Here's a YouTube vid of the countdown. That's some crazy shit.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-25, 16:01

Holy shit.

So the voice.

Was it:
– recorded specifically for this
– taken from a movie/television show
– computer generated

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-25, 16:04

Chilling. I’d not seen that, just read reports about it.

Re: the voice, I was wondering about all that as well.

People will not set even just one day aside to not be a shithead, huh?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-25, 17:08

What the hell is the matter with people?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-25, 17:10

Everything? Anything?

UPDATE: Human remains found at explosion site.

Hopefully those of the moron(s) responsible and not some poor, innocent citizen who ignored the recorded warnings (thinking it was a prank or something).

To be honest that would probably be my genuine, gut reaction...”eh, somebody’s just playing a prank and filming the reactions of those walking by for laughs”.

Well, probably not anymore. I’d now err on the side of caution and scram if I heard a warning/countdown. I’d rather be laughed at on YouTube than blown to smithereens.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-25 at 20:30.
Quagmire
meh

2020-12-25, 22:05

TN has seen cellular towers being vandalized recently due to the whole 5G spreads COVID conspiracy. Given the time and warning to evac to avoid casualties most likely and it was parked right in front of the AT&T communications building.... Could be tied to that?

https://tennesseelookout.com/2020/11...y-be-to-blame/

giggity
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-25, 22:31

I need to move.

I’ve known/worked with a couple of “conspiracy” types in my life, over the years. There is no more exhausting, hate-to-see-them-coming-your-way type on the planet (second only to a Glee watcher, of course).

UPDATE: Reading comments on various news articles and there’s already crazy theories flying around regarding AT&T, voting machines, forensic auditing, Hunter Biden, banking, contracts, etc. The usual copy/paste manifestos popping up all over Disqus comments, already scripted out.

Every time something like this happens (the Vegas shooting, etc.) the Alex Jones types all get out their Krazy Konspiracies! Mad-Libs kit and start plugging in random choices from their usual 75-100 go-to names, entities, reasons, etc.

It’s like watching that bunch from One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest playing Clue...the Bilderbergs did it at Area 51 using chem trails!

Seek help.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-26 at 08:58.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-27, 08:25

Big reward being offered.

This will get some answers/movement. There isn’t a person on the planet who’ll stay quiet for $250K. Low-level street hoods will roll over on each other all day, every day for a $500 Crimestoppers offer, so nobody is safe at six figures.

The case will be cracked by this afternoon.

Can you imagine planning some horrible act, and you mention it - or even hint at it - to someone you think is a close, sympathetic-to-your-cause friend? And now realizing “maybe I should’ve kept my mouth shut...” because you don’t know a soul who’s put that sort of thing above $250,000.

There’s no honor among thieves. Or shitheads/whackjobs with nefarious schemes.

There isn’t a low-life in my orbit who’d be safe. Don't ever spill your beans to me if you find yourself looking to do something awful. I’d be singing like Whitney Houston. Hell, for a quarter-million, I’ll draw pictures and throw in a little dancing as well.

“Check out this moonwalk, detective...”.

Whoever did this, if they didn’t die in the explosion, they’re gonna wish they had.

PS - My phone got back on last night for about 25 minutes, then went back to “no service”. And then has done so about 7-8 times since. So they’re working on it, it just hasn’t been fully successful yet. I feel for those who need a functioning, reliable cellular signal for their occupation or to keep tabs on loved ones (older parents, a sick friend). Talking on my phone is one of the things I do the least with it, but I’m surrounded by WiFi everywhere I go so I’m doing everything I usually do. And I could turn on WiFi calling if I needed. This outage isn’t affecting me like it is some folks I know. I hope they get things working soon for them.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-27 at 08:47.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-27, 14:23

Anthony Quinn Warner, 63, is the "person of interest" connected with the bombing. An electrician/alarm tech who held several IT jobs throughout his life/career. A Google Maps street view of his address shows a white RV parked on the property.

I guess he's dead, because all the stories use past tense when referring to him, so I guess those human remains found at the site were his?

Was it a grudge against AT&T, maybe he was a disgruntled former employee/contractor? A serious case of holiday depression who wanted to go out in a spectacular way, but without purposely hurting others? Who knows. We may never know the full, straight story.

EDIT: Good grief, was he one of those guys? Was this what it was all about? Was AT&T truly the target, then? These Alex Jones/Art Bell types...

Quote:
a law enforcement official told The Associated Press that federal investigators have started examining Warner's digital footprint and financial history. They are also examining a recent deed transfer of a home in suburban Nashville.

Police said the RV sounded warnings to evacuate and a 15-minute countdown to clear the area. The voice of the woman on the recording is believed to be a robotic, computerized voice, the sources said.

The RV also blasted a song before it detonated, which was identified by law enforcement as "Downtown" by Petula Clark.
Smart-ass.
Quagmire
meh

2020-12-27, 14:26

No DNA test has come back yet so it is not confirmed to be him. I think the media is pointing in that direction simply by how it is unfolding. Are the remains likely his? Probably, but that is just based off a hunch right now.

giggity
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-27, 14:44

They're going off what they're hearing from law enforcement, I would assume. I'm not getting the impression an active manhunt is underway, more like looking for friends, relatives, former co-workers, etc. They don't seem to be operating/saying things as though he's on the loose and poses a current, ongoing danger. Another article said they're now combing through his digital footprint, financial history, etc. There's been some real estate stuff and a family squabble re: some property, etc.

Maybe he pulled a D.B. Cooper and is sitting somewhere sunny and tropical as we speak, having a chuckle. But I doubt it. I think he's scattered all over a few blocks in downtown Music City. If he was one of those 5G nutballs, who knows what other stuff he bought into. No telling how much sleep he's lost, or friends/relatives/neighbors he's alienated over the years, being one of those types.
Quagmire
meh

2020-12-27, 16:36

Copy Cat wanting attention? No mention of explosives found in the truck.

https://fox17.com/news/local/suspici...lebanon-cedars

EDIT: Story was updated saying no explosives found.

giggity

Last edited by Quagmire : 2020-12-27 at 16:48.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-27, 17:39

People like that need a good smack.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-27, 19:59

Hmmm, now there’s an L.A.-via-Knoxville vixen angle. The perp(?) recently signed over two houses to her. She’s 29 and quite attractive.

Good grief, please tell me this isn’t all over some pussy.

UPDATE: I just now received this text from AT&T:

Quote:
AT&T FREE MSG: To help in areas impacted by the Nashville Explosion, you won't be charged for any talk/text/data overage from 12:00 AM on December 27, 2020 through 11:59 PM on December 31, 2020. For more info, go to go.att.com/nashvillerelief
That's a bit of a backhand, no-skin-off-their-teeth deal...kinda hard to go over when your shit's not even working. It's almost like they know they're not gonna have it all back up and running, huh?

"Enjoy a month of free movies on us while our servers are down!" - Netflix

Thanks?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-27 at 20:20.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-12-28, 02:52

People suck.

Especially some of those in America, particularly red states.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-12-28, 08:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
That's helpful.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-28, 13:34

Quote:
People suck.

I am getting sick and tired of your baiting and trolling. Knock it off or take a hike!

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-12-28 at 13:47.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-12-29, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I am getting sick and tired of your baiting and trolling. Knock it off or take a hike!
How is that baiting and trolling? It's a true statement. Are you not from here?

if the above is "baiting and trolling", what is this thread?

https://forums.applenova.com/showthr...=38862&page=12
tomoe
Veteran Member

2020-12-29, 12:47

Quote:
How is that baiting and trolling? It's a true statement. Are you not from here?

if the above is "baiting and trolling", what is this thread?

https://forums.applenova.com/showthr...=38862&page=12
Holy shit. That thread has some really bad takes that have aged like milk.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-12-30, 01:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
Holy shit. That thread has some really bad takes that have aged like milk.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-30, 07:57

Bomber’s girlfriend alerted authorities 16 months ago about his bomb-making abilities/activities, statements, etc.

Nice going, guys. Maybe knock a little harder, and longer, next time?

The article seems to make it clear that a bit more effort, attention and initiative from various law enforcement agencies could’ve prevented what happened the other day.

A lot of minimal effort and ain’t-our-problem buck-passing seems to be at play here. This didn’t have to happen.

All we’ve heard since September 2001 is “stay vigilant, and make a call if you see/hear anything suspicious”.

This woman does so and nothing comes of it. Part of downtown still got the shit blown out of it. That has to be infuriating. Imagine how she must’ve felt all weekend, once his name was released. The only real “comfort” must be that no other lives were lost. I can’t imagine how she’d be feeling if lots of others had been killed.

Unbelievable.

I just picture some fat-ass Nashville cop lightly tapping on Warner’s door for a whole six seconds.

“Well, nobody’s home. Let’s go...”.

Yeah, don’t risk a hand injury knocking a little harder, guys.

UPDATE: I’m typically not “that guy”, but in this particular scenario I can’t help but wonder if maybe the perp had a funny-sounding, hard-to-pronounce last name - possibly of Middle Eastern origin - if there would’ve been a bit more effort and energy spent on contacting him? Maybe that door gets knocked on a little louder/longer? Maybe the cops came back to the house to try again until they reached him? Maybe a judge would’ve been convinced to sign a search warrant based on the girlfriend’s statement, etc.? Would the authorities/law enforcement have felt a little more “motivated” to check into a Malik al Shabazz Muhammad bin Hussein or whatever-the-hell vs. an “Anthony Warner”?

You gotta wonder...I think it's a valid question.

If, if, if, woulda, coulda, shoulda, huh?

I’m just having difficulty wrapping my head around someone going to the cops with claims of a person they know engaging in bomb-making (and providing the actual location/site of such activities) and nothing coming of it. How does that happen, regardless of the name involved? Or state.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-30 at 17:02.