Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

One Year Ago...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
One Year Ago...
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-12-26, 23:58

... I stumbled upon this homely Apple rumor site. I was a stranger, another "new member" with my post count sitting at 0. I think the first thing I posted was in the mockups sticky, definitely speculations and rumors. I was scared of that Apple Outsider place, people like Windswept and Murbot patrolled that area. I lived humbly, earning rep points every now and then, mostly trying to figure this place out.

Now I am a year old, with 1300 posts and some nice rep, so I'd like to thanks everyone who has made me feel at home. I won't give you a list of names, because there are too many of you guys.

I hope I have been a positive addition to this community, and thank you all again!
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-12-27, 00:49

Homely? Fuck off! Or do you mean comely?
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-12-27, 01:39

Homely:

1 (of a person) unattractive in appearance.
2 Brit. (of a place or surroundings) simple but cozy and comfortable, as in one's own home : a modern hotel with a homely atmosphere.

crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2006-12-27, 01:50

I think any web site would struggle to satisfy the criteria necessary to attract the description "homely", let alone "comely". "Comely" conjures up images of gingham dresses, large, bouncy breasts and ringlets.

One out of three is simply not enough to describe the place as "comely", I'm afraid billybob.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-12-27, 08:08

Mmm, my breast meter is on high today... keep wandering into threads with 'em.

Though the word has been turned into a "street" term for people from your neighborhood, some people say "homey".

Happy 1st Year with AppleNova.
Damn, you know I've been with the whole AppleInsider/AppleNova thing since '98.... wow!!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-12-27, 09:30

Is coming up on a year for me too. Nuts.
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-12-27, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
Homely:

1 (of a person) unattractive in appearance.
2 Brit. (of a place or surroundings) simple but cozy and comfortable, as in one's own home : a modern hotel with a homely atmosphere.

I for one, am not British, nor were my ancestors. I speak the American Dialect of the English Language. My theaters ends with ers, my elevators take me to the 10th floor of my lab building, and I hardly if ever say cheers!

So no, the british definition will not do...
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-12-27, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester View Post
I think any web site would struggle to satisfy the criteria necessary to attract the description "homely", let alone "comely". "Comely" conjures up images of gingham dresses, large, bouncy breasts and ringlets.

One out of three is simply not enough to describe the place as "comely", I'm afraid billybob.

Wait... the breasts bounce here? I thought they were a little more static...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-12-27, 12:46

stick a bog roll up your ring you git....
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-12-27, 14:17

Gus Guys chill. It's Christmas spirit of goodwill to all men yada yada. So what if a rubber is a condom and an item to remove pencil marks. Can't we all just get along!

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-12-27, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
Gus Guys chill. It's Christmas spirit of goodwill to all men yada yada. So what if a rubber is a condom and an item to remove pencil marks. Can't we all just get along!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-12-27, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
And... a 'bog roll' is *what*, exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
Gus Guys chill.
Who's "Gus"?

Quote:
It's Christmas spirit of goodwill to all men yada yada. So what if a rubber is a condom and an item to remove pencil marks. Can't we all just get along!
An item to remove pencil marks. Quite an interesting visual, there, geri. haha

I harbor a particular fondness for the word "whilst".

It's just so... quaint and charming.

I *love it* that we have so many Brits at AN. How did that ever happen, I wonder? Hmm.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-12-27, 16:23

Quote:
I hope I have been a positive addition to this community, and thank you all again!
Any 16-year-old who can remodel an old attic filled with dust and spiders is tops in my book.

Yeah, WLP, you're an all-around good guy. Glad you're here.

I think one of the true marvels of messageboards is that a 16-year-old can participate fully in extended conversations with adults of various ages.

In 'real' life, I don't think that would happen to the same degree, would it?

On a side note, I have been *so* surprised from time to time when I have found that someone I considered rather curmudgeonly and surely at least in their late 30s (no offense to pscates and others ) turns out to be, like, 18 years old! Quite a shock, I can tell you.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-12-27, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
And... a 'bog roll' is *what*, exactly?

Who's "Gus"?

I *love it* that we have so many Brits at AN. How did that ever happen, I wonder? Hmm.
Damn keboard keeps on missing the wh's out.

As for bog roll "read roll of toilet paper" As for up your ring I'll leave that one for someone else to explain.

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-12-27, 19:28

Oh. haha

The 'bog roll' I was imagining as a... well... a bog roll.

You know, a piece of mud with some grass on top, cut out of an actual bog near a lake or marsh.

Silly me.

The opportunities for miscommunication between us seem endless.

Kinda fun though, don'tcha think?
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-12-27, 19:40

Quote:
Oh. haha

The 'bog roll' I was imagining as a... well... a bog roll.

You know, a piece of mud with some grass on top, cut out of an actual bog near a lake or marsh.

Silly me.

The opportunities for miscommunication between us seem endless.

Kinda fun though, don'tcha think?
Yes. No doubt there are loads of em.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-12-27, 21:36

Quote:
Any 16-year-old who can remodel an old attic filled with dust and spiders is tops in my book.

Yeah, WLP, you're an all-around good guy. Glad you're here.
Thanks, I need to put some more pics up sometime. We've got paint on the walls, but the Christmas break has understandably slowed progress down.

Quote:
I think one of the true marvels of messageboards is that a 16-year-old can participate fully in extended conversations with adults of various ages.

In 'real' life, I don't think that would happen to the same degree, would it?
I get some opportunities to interact with adults in social settings, but I mostly just shut up and listen. (Like that Churchill quote, better to keep your mouth shut and be presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt) The online community is much easier to interact in. (plus there is spell check!)

Quote:
On a side note, I have been *so* surprised from time to time when I have found that someone I considered rather curmudgeonly and surely at least in their late 30s (no offense to pscates and others ) turns out to be, like, 18 years old! Quite a shock, I can tell you.
I'm not sure that's a good thing
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-12-28, 00:10

Quote:
Thanks, I need to put some more pics up sometime. We've got paint on the walls, but the Christmas break has understandably slowed progress down.
Didn't you post a pic of a (very cute) guinea pig sitting on a desk? I was wondering if that desk might be located in your new attic, but I guess not.

Quote:
(plus there is spell check!)

Indeed.

Quote:
I'm not sure that's a good thing
You're right. *Not* good to sound like a cranky 38-year-old when you're only 18!
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-12-28, 00:40

Quote:
Didn't you post a pic of a (very cute) guinea pig sitting on a desk? I was wondering if that desk might be located in your new attic, but I guess not.
Nope, he hasn't ventured up there yet.

I'll go bump that thread with some pics