User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Career Change

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Career Change
EmC

2022-09-28, 20:56

I'm a high school math teacher. After a recent series of events at work, I have already decided this is my last year in the classroom. I have a B.S. in Mathematics and my other degrees are related to education, curriculum, and leadership. I really did plan to do this until retirement.

I believe I have the soft skills to move into most any field. I have dabbled in web design, but primarily HTML and CSS and some very basic JavaScript. I think I want to move into something computer related. Coding, software, not really sure. Where should I start? I do well reading documentation and figuring things out. I have completed a couple of courses on codecademy. I could enroll on a computer science program at the local college in the spring, but again I am not sure what direction I should go. I just don't want to waste time working on something that isn't going to be helpful later down the road because I have a pretty firm timeline to at least transition to something by the end of this current school year.

Share you experiences? Suggestions?

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-29, 10:02

Seems something in algorithms might be up your alley. Cryptography or such. Which language to choose is really variant. Python seems to get a lot of love these days from what I'm seeing.

I stay focused on the hardware/infrastructure side so I'm not much on the dev side of things. I dabble in it, but only enough to stay relevant and be able to modify someone else's code for my liking.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.