Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Watch 2020
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-09-22, 06:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
In a fit of nerdom, I actually wrote to Tim Cook about it.

I'm sure I've been added to a spam filter after writing him something about elbows. Can't remember the details.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-22, 09:23

I don't think I would be interested in a band like that. The shape isn't appealing to me at all. I'd also imagine keeping the sensors in contact with the right parts of your wrist would be difficult. Having to spin it around to see who's actually calling or what time it is. Even if the screen used accelerometers/gyroscopes to figure out where up is an orient the all screen body to be read correctly I just can't see if being anything other than frustrating.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-09-22, 09:35

I suppose it does look floppy.

My idea was more of a "horizontal" display that ran a tad farther up your wrist, on a beefier band. You've seen them in sci fi movies.

Bigger display, a chance to add components.

Like rockets.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-22, 13:17

Look, if I'm going to make it bigger I want missiles like the Mandalorian so I can take out idiots while I'm out running or something.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2020-09-22, 17:12

This is the way.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-25, 09:33

I got the Milanese loop with my Watch and I'm not really a fan. If you move your hand too fast it loosens on you. I mean, I'm not a pro baseball pitcher or anything but I would have expected it to be a bit more stable.

The hair pulling... Do most people who wear this have no hair on the wrist area at all before they start wearing it? Man, I went to scratch the back of my head and managed to pull out some of the hair from the back of my head with this loop. Granted, I keep my hair Navy short but still.

I like the look of it but not sure I would recommend paying $100 for it. At least I have the black rubber sport band and will end up switching to this one for the times I dress up... maybe. Still wanting the link band but unwilling to pay their price yet. I got an Amazon special link and it was unpolished to say the least.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-09-25, 09:41

I bought my mom a watch for Christmas 2018, and she likes the soft fabric bands that I bought her. No hair pulling.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-25, 10:27

Another thing, Compass doesn't work at all with the Milanese Loop band. Like don't go hiking expecting to use the compass app if you wear the metal band. I'm actually shocked by this because it means they actually use magnetics for the compass and not just GPS which is what I assumed. :O

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-09-25, 10:27

I've always used the rubber band. I workout daily and I feel the cloth one would become gross from all the sweat and I dont want to change bands every day.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-09-25, 11:55

Yup. I started out mostly using a leather one (third-party), and it got kinda gross rather quickly.

Tried the Sport Loop for a while, but it doesn't seem to be for me, really. Landed back on various colors of the Sport Band. Pretty great all-rounder.

That said, one of the nice things about Apple Watch that they really nailed on day one* is how easy these are to swap, so you could, if you wanted to, quickly put on a fancier band for when you're out dining.

*) Whereas, especially on the software side, day one wasn't a good start at all.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-25, 12:38

I think that is kinda the route I'm going to end up going too. Sport Band day to day and break out the loop or cheap link when I'm feeling fancy. I workout every day too now and switching from the loop to the sport band is getting old.

The fact that my 42mm bands work on my 44mm is just awesome. Apple could have just made a new size but they didn't, I'm grateful now that I have some bands from both.

I will say, something Apple does with the Sport Band is better than the cheap ones at Amazon. Those actually end up causing issue with Mrs T's skin and even irritate mine some.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-09-25, 13:14

I was going to ask about third party bands, as I'd like to get mom a few additional bands. The cheaper price is always tempting, but I suspect the Apple bands are simply better.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-25, 13:21

I will say they have been hit or miss over the years. Some are just fine, just not a polished. Others are painful. When you're testing the <$10 bands though, you can't expect too much.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-09-26, 02:31

Yup. Some third-party bands are pretty bad. That could mean developing an odor, fitting poorly, being too rigid to comfortably put on, etc. It can also (thankfully, this hasn't happened to be) mean that they fall off as you're wearing them.

Apple's are consistently very expensive, and also apparently very good. Which… it's that kind of culture that they need to apply elsewhere. They opened up the spec for how to create your own band basically on day one, so they were apparently very confident that they could compete just fine. Apply that to, say, App Stores: let third parties provide their own store, but be confident that yours is just particularly great.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-09-30, 23:46

Do they not list the silver aluminum model with sport bands? It's not showing up for me.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch...ase-sport-band

I was leaning towards the sport loop anyways but that seems weird.

Any thoughts on loop vs. band for working out?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-06, 09:06

I have to admit that I'm just not giving the loop bands like that a chance. I hate having to work something on or off my wrist. I like my normal sport band for working out.

chucker

2020-10-06, 10:48

My SE is here.

I'm… a bit disappointed by some of the onboarding aspects.

It's fast as hell compared to my S0, which was to be expected but still nice.

I don't think the Solo Loop is for me.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-10-06, 19:31

Picked up the S6 with a navy sport band. Liking it so far.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-28, 08:32

Since there isn't a Watch OS 7 thread I figure I'll ask here. Am I the only one that doesn't get awakened by their watch anymore after upgrading? I haven't figured out exactly what changed but Watch OS 6 I woke up every time the alarm went off on my Watch. Now (even with the beta) the Watch doesn't actually wake me up any more.

chucker

2020-10-28, 15:05

I don't currently have a Watch alarm set, so can't say.

I can say that since moving from 4.x on my S0 to 7.x on my SE, the Weekly Activity Summary notification seems gone, and consequently, I haven't been prompted yet to increase my goal. (The SE seems to be counting ~30% more calories than the S0, with similar activity.) I've asked on reddit, and the consensus seems to be that I should be getting those notifications, but also, that some others haven't seen them since the update either.

Also, Handwashing doesn't work for me at all? I've seen a few prompts to handwash after getting home, and I've seen a "you haven't reached twenty seconds" warning after, uh, filling a kettle with water. But I haven't seen any prompting while trying to handwash, nor a thumbs-up after reaching 20 seconds.