Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Automotive Golden Convergence

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Automotive Golden Convergence
drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-10-31, 23:50

Automobiles are evolving rapidly. The entertainment center technology inside ages more quickly than it did a decade ago. Carplay and Android Auto are okay at joining our cars to our phones, but it's still clunky.

Ford recently announced Sync 4.

Which sounds okay.

It would be nice to be able to bring your own entertainment system to a car if you'd like. Car manufacturers have tended not to support their cars entertainment systems beyond 5 or 6 years, but we might own them for 10 years or more.

Last edited by drewprops : 2019-11-01 at 00:02.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-11-01, 05:28

I'm more impressed Ford is going to a 15.5" touch screen dash. I typically buy GMC pickups and would love to see a bigger screen in those, but with Dodge already doing it and Ford just announcing it, I think it's only a matter of time.

With GMC, their Infotainment "center" software is pretty awful. There's never any available updates and it looks dated as is. To be fair, I have a 2017 so I'm a couple years behind so I'm not sure if they've updated it in the last couple years. They have built in apps but you can't use them unless you sign up for their in vehicle 4G internet, which is laughable. My cousin has a Tesla 3 and the screen and technology in that thing is absolutely incredible.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-11-01, 09:47

I'm not sure what I think about these new systems. Given the manufacturers aren't going to keep updating mean even if they support CarPlay now they might not in the future. I've got +10 year old cars now and no intention of replacing them anytime soon. Thankfully, all of them allow me to replace the head unit with something modern and capable. How do you do that when the one screen houses the controls for everything? Aftermarket stereos are going the way of the Dodo.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-01, 10:05

I have a 2007 Tundra and greatly prefer it's knobs and dials to all that touchy-bullcrap. In-car distractions are on the rise, and I have no use for any of it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-11-01, 13:31

You can't really say CarPlay (or Android Auto) are more distracting when you can use voice controls and an UI that you see constantly. Plus, depending on your vehicle, you might even have steering wheel controls limiting distractions even more. Having to reach for a dial can become second nature, but telling Siri to skip that song is something that means you don't look away.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-01, 19:59

Yeah, but I can do that without all the fancy Gonna-Fail™. My stereo has an aux-in, and Siri works just fine, thank you very much.