User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Quarter of Apple iPhones unlocked?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Quarter of Apple iPhones unlocked?
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2008-01-29, 20:48

http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...32924620080129

Apparently it seems that around 25% of iphones are unlocked. However, the only way I can see this number justified is if a majority of people who own these things are technophiles. I can't see the general public being a quarter willing to make the effort to unlock a phone when we live in a society that would at time rather lose money than return an item. With that in mind, do trends of the iphone selling seem... sustainable, or do the vast majority of people willing to pay for this device own this device?

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-01-29, 20:54

You also need consider unlocked iPhones sold to unsupported countries (like Canada etc). I know three online companies up here sell unlocked iPhones.
rasmits
rams it

2008-01-29, 21:06

Don't forget the countries that sell these phones legally unlocked. It'd be easy for someone to order a French iPhone and use it anywhere in Europe (or the world), if they don't mind paying the price.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who are willing to pay a premium.

You had me at asl
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2008-01-29, 21:07

Still, I could never imagine people buying through those routes being very significant. I could imagine a small percent, but 25% just seems absurd.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-01-29, 21:11

Well keep in mind the market for the iPhone, people with money to spend, thus if they want it, they will get it.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-01-30, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosus View Post
Still, I could never imagine people buying through those routes being very significant. I could imagine a small percent, but 25% just seems absurd.
Not if you consider how many 1st world countries still don't have the iPhone available for sale. Right now you can buy the iPhone in what, four countries? That leaves many other countries with GSM service and no locked iPhones to sell. Also, how many of the unlocked iPhones were sold to citizens of countries that now have iPhones available for sale, but didn't have them last Summer?

I think 25% is pretty reasonable although I would say more of these sales happened last Summer when the iPhone was USA only than are happening today. Also, Apple cracked down pretty hard on retail sales of iPhones last Fall, with the no cash sales policy and such.
MAJB

2008-01-30, 08:49

I think the point about this statistic, if true, is that it shows that people do not like to have things dictated to them, especially when it comes to what phone carrier they must use. It is a cheap trick to tie consumers into an unattractive carrier package using a superior mobile phone product and people have obviously indicated that they are not happy with this.

Generally it is something that frustrates me about the mobile phone industry - they use the phone products to entice users into opting for an often insignificant carrier package (either through number of minutes/texts included or geographical coverage) instead of concentrating on making their service better.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2008-01-30, 08:50

I'm thinking this number is probably close to the truth. People around the world want this phone. I was just in Australia, working with a Brit, who had a friend in Hong Kong buy him an unlocked iPhone and bring it to him in Melbourne!

People are going to great lengths to get this phone.

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-01-30, 16:12

I don't believe anywhere near 25% of iPhones in use in the U.S. are unlocked, but I'm sure a substantial number of them are in use outside the U.S.

Here in Mexico, people are going nuts for the iPhone. I've personally run across several people who are either using an unlocked iPhone on a Mexican system, or using a U.S. phone number (meaning, all-the-time roaming) so they can use iPhone.

This whole unlocking thing is my #1 annoyance with the iPhone phenomenon. As someone who has never jailbreaked his iPhone and has absolutely no desire or inclination to do so, it's annoying as hell to have to wade through all the jailbreaking "news" on the various web sites.