User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

MacBook Revisions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook Revisions
iofevolution

2006-05-20, 09:28

Greetings. I'm a mac newb, yet have the urge to come over to the darkside. I've been following the forums for months and anxiously waited for the new MacBooks as all of you have. Aside from the integrated graphics CRAP, is there a chance I should hold out till say June/July for any revisions.

I'd hate to whip out almost 1600 for a custom MacBook, only to see it get a nice upgrade in the next few months! I have been using PC's for 19 years of my 24 year old life and would like to be as cautious as possible when making such a decision! I mean honestly, how hard will it be to get used to not having a right mouse click, the UI is totally different!

So back to the original thought/question. I am a teacher and will be using this to edit/display PowerPoints/(Keynotes!) as well as video clips/movies through my LCD projector. I will also be putting some music/movies on here and using the DVD burner on occasion, in addition to web surfing and pictures etc....no gaming or pro application use here (maybe garageband for my music). Should I wait, or splurge now?

P.S. I got the feeling that the black matte was a bit cheap feeling and would have been better with a glossy black finish. I do not know if I can agree with another posting who said it was paint chips because it seems to be a black material to begin with (the casing probably chips when its hit).

THANKS,

N00B
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-20, 09:32

There's nothing you listed that the MacBook wouldn't excel at. I see no reason why the integrated graphics would affect/aggravate you. There is also very little reason to believe that Apple would do any significant revision within less than, say, 4 months.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-05-20, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by iofevolution
Greetings. I'm a mac newb, yet have the urge to come over to the darkside.
No, no. PCs are the Darkside. Welcome to the Rebel Alliance.

Quote:
I've been following the forums for months and anxiously waited for the new MacBooks as all of you have. Aside from the integrated graphics CRAP, is there a chance I should hold out till say June/July for any revisions.

I'd hate to whip out almost 1600 for a custom MacBook, only to see it get a nice upgrade in the next few months!
It's a computer. There will always be something around the corner that will be "better". When a product has just been updated is the best time to buy. Otherwise you could just wait and wait and wait forever. The Standard advice is: If you need one now, go and get one. If you don't, wait. Something better will be released soon, for sure. But that will always be the case.

Quote:
I have been using PC's for 19 years of my 24 year old life and would like to be as cautious as possible when making such a decision! I mean honestly, how hard will it be to get used to not having a right mouse click, the UI is totally different!
Not quite. CTRL-Click gives you a contextual menu as with a PC. A two-button mouse (including the Apple Mighty Mouse) will give you a right-click as you expect. The beauty of Mac is that (with a couple of notable exceptions) you don't need to right click to do things.

Quote:
So back to the original thought/question. I am a teacher and will be using this to edit/display PowerPoints/(Keynotes!) as well as video clips/movies through my LCD projector. I will also be putting some music/movies on here and using the DVD burner on occasion, in addition to web surfing and pictures etc....no gaming or pro application use here (maybe garageband for my music). Should I wait, or splurge now?
When do you need to start doing this? Now? Buy now! Later? Buy later! The MacBook will do all of those things, with ease. Just don't forget to get a mini-DVI to VGA adaptor when you're at the store.

Oh, and Welcome to AppleNova and the wider world of Apple. You really won't regret switching. You'll find out what it's like to use a computer, rather than fight against it all the damn time!

iofevolution

2006-05-20, 09:46

HaHa! Great info gentleman. I need it no LATER than the end of August. I guess I answered my own question. Wait till Julyish? Thanks for the welcome and I will be envying you b*stards till July 1st (ish). I am impatient and this will be a LONG wait!!!
wecallitfall

2006-05-20, 09:48

i was impaitent and broke the day after MWSF and bought a iBook which i now have to try and sell to get a blackBook!

well i dont have to but i will.... haha!
iofevolution

2006-05-20, 09:57

So do I wait till July(ish)??? Whatta say? I guess thats the safe bet seeing that I do not NEED one before, but would LIKE one NOW! haha.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2006-05-20, 10:04

with the stuff you need it for you might as well get it now.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-20, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKrzyzewski
with the stuff you need it for you might as well get it now.
But if you don't need it, it's not a bad idea to wait. I rushed to buy my MacBook Pro, and it was updated a week later. I didn't necessarily need the notebook until this fall. I don't terribly regret buying early, but you might be more upset about such a situation than I am.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-05-20, 10:22

There is a right click. And it looks better.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-05-20, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
But if you don't need it, it's not a bad idea to wait.
Unless iofevolution wants a few weeks/couple of months to get to learn the Mac OS, etc. before classes start again.

EDIT: Corrected spelling of name of original poster.

Last edited by LudwigVan : 2006-05-20 at 14:54.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-05-20, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
Unless iforevolution wants a few weeks/couple of months to get to learn the Mac OS, etc. before classes start again.
A very good point.
iofevolution

2006-05-20, 13:26

What about rebates. I know i'll get an education discount, but if they have "back 2 school" rebates will that be coupled, or exceed, the current deal i'll get.

White MacBook Custom

Ram -- 1 gig
HD -- 80 gig
iWork preinstalled
mini dvi to vga cable for my projector
applecare 3 years

Total = $1583 (EDU Discount)

Total w/o EDU Discount = $1796

Savings now = $213

opinions..ideas...suggestions?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-05-20, 13:40

Apple's best "back to school" education discount is Cram and Jam (called "Student Union" last year). You buy a Mac (anything but the Mac mini) and get $200 off an iPod.

It'll probably start in late June-ish. See my thread in S&R for more than you ever wanted to know about Cram and Jam (thanks to BenP).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
iofevolution

2006-05-20, 13:48

However, I do own an iPod and therefore will not need a rebate warranting the discount on another. So is it safe to extrapolate from the information you've given me that waiting for the rebate will not affect me, nor my education discount?
daftgem

2006-05-20, 17:24

Why buy ram from Apple? Its a rip off.
RobM

2006-05-20, 17:53

I'd save on the Applecare and get more RAM.
I have never bought AppleCare and have never needed it - more than 10 Macs over more years then I care to count.

Up to you though ...

edit: also the old addage applies.
Buy what you need WHEN you need it.
So if you don't need it now then wait - unless o'course you just snap (which happens to most around here) and can't resist.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-05-20, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by iofevolution
However, I do own an iPod and therefore will not need a rebate warranting the discount on another. So is it safe to extrapolate from the information you've given me that waiting for the rebate will not affect me, nor my education discount?
Well, I guess not...if the idea of a completely free iPod nano is somehow meaningless to you.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2006-05-20, 19:13

If you need it now, buy it.
If you don't, don't.
Sometimes a want can become a need, but it's rare.
Noone knows if there will be improvements between now and when you must have it in your hand except his turtleneckness Lord Steve.
Nothing you read here will help you decide when to buy except the first two lines in this post.
(Except maybe Roboman's free iPod hint )
professorjay

2006-05-20, 19:15

Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself to buy it! I don't blame you, I'm in the same boat. I'm eager to switch but I'm holding out. My current (pc) notebook will definitely last me another year but I'd like to wait for MacBooks w/ Merom in them. If you don't NEED it now I'd say wait until you do, you'll probably be happy that you did.
professorjay

2006-05-20, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Well, I guess not...if the idea of a completely free iPod nano is somehow meaningless to you.
I think he's under the impression (along w/ myself) that he'd rather apply the discount to the MacBook and ulitmately save money instead of using it up on a Nano. Are you saying that you can get the discount on the price of the MacBook PLUS get a free Nano? If so I'll jump on that bandwagon!
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-05-20, 21:05

Yeah, It is the discounted MacBook plus a free Nano. Why wouldn't you jump on that?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-05-21, 15:01

Yep.

The Student Union deal gives you your typical student discount ($50-$100 off a MacBook) plus $200 (might be $150 this year) off any iPod - giving you a free iPod nano or a very cheap 5G iPod.

And you now see why Student Union is such a good deal.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
professorjay

2006-05-21, 15:57

Wow! Good stuff, thanks for the info. I can only hope that Merom's get in the MacBook before that promo ends, however unlikely.
iofevolution

2006-05-21, 18:50

Yeah I'd like to see Merom by July/August, but judging from Intel's website they may not be ready till Thanksgiving/X-mas time. I am a teacher and therefore would get the EDU discount. I am still curious if my EDU discount is better than the rebates they'll offer this summer? Any speculation of when these offers will be rolling out?
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-05-21, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
No, no. PCs are the Darkside. Welcome to the Rebel Alliance.
hahaha, I would say wait till you need it, that way if somthing does happen, aka update, you could still get it