User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Dropbox
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-04-01, 09:43

There was a pretty active thread awhile back while Dropbox was still in beta, but now that it's been open to the public for some time I figured it was time to bring it back to light. What do you use your Dropbox for?

I've been using Dropbox for a while now to sync my wallpapers folder and 1Password keychain between macs and have been thoroughly impressed with the speed and effectiveness. It really puts the iDisk to shame. But I'm curious if it's possible to host your iPhoto or iTunes library in your Dropbox folder and then be able to manage the library across computers? Has anyone attempted this? How does it work?

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2009-04-01, 11:25

Essentially, it is no different than copying the files from one computer to the other - every time you make a change. I can't see their being any problems as long as you don't open the app on both computers at the same time.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2009-04-01, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
I can't see their being any problems as long as you don't open the app on both computers at the same time.
I didn't try it but there's is a conflict system implemented. I think they are just copying both version on different names so if you would work on the exact same file, it wouldn't explode... (I think)

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-04-01, 12:34

I use it to sync:

-My eBooks (read in class anytime! I mean, so that when I buy a new one I don't have to manually add them)
-My class notes (same principle- so I can take 'em on laptop but read 'em on desktop)
-My fiction (because sometimes I write while on my netbook, but usually I write on my desktop)

It's easier than using a USB thumb key 'cause I might lose the thumbdrive but I always have net access.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2009-04-01, 13:40

I haven't used Dropbox as much yet
but i'll probably start syncing more stuff
with it.

Apple needs to take iDisk and create a Dropbox like mode for it
as well. I'd rather not pay for Mobileme and have to shell out
more for Dropbox as stingy as that sounds.

omgwtfbbq
¡Damned!

2009-04-01, 13:45

I just downloaded it a few days ago to try out, but so far so good. It's dead simple to use.

The 1Password keychain syncing idea is faboo. Ima totally gonna do that.

So it goes.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-04-01, 16:35

I just moved all my Coda / web design files to Dropbox and like that I am now working off the same files across systems now. No more overwriting remote files with older versions anymore.

As far as iPhoto is concerned, I read through the Dropbox forums and it looks like people are using it for that purpose. The conflict system that dmegatool mentioned seems to come into play if for some reason iPhoto is open on both machines at the same time. I guess it'd be the same as if I were to be updating 1Password on both machines at the same time. I'll upgrade to the Pro account and give it a whirl.

And I agree with hmurchison, Apple needs to beef MobileMe up to match the features of Dropbox.

Website | Twitter
noleli2

2009-04-01, 16:36

I use it for two main things: syncing files with group members on projects, and storing all my currently active stuff so I always have a backup.

I also keep my Adium prefs there, which was more useful when I was switching between a work laptop and my personal machine, but I guess it's still nice to have my logs always backed up.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2009-04-01, 18:07

I use it for everything. All of it. My documents folder has been almost entirely replaced by my Dropbox folder.

I have both a desktop* and a notebook Mac, so having the same documents folder on both, at all times, with zero extra mental effort required on my part, is amazing.

In addition to keeping my documents on there, I also keep my Eclipse workspaces on there, so I can fire up Eclipse on either machine from any location and still have access to all my code. I also keep my Things library on my Dropbox to work around the fact that there is no MobileMe syncing for Things yet. My iPhoto library lives on my Dropbox as well.

Dropbox is one of the most incredible services I've ever purchased. At this point I could never go back to not having cloud storage.

*Technically it's a MacBook Pro attached to an external display and hard drive, but it's connected to the TV as well so my housemates use it when I'm not home. I had a tower for a while, but I move back and forth between home and school a lot, and the tower was a pain in the ass and way more power than I needed.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2009-04-02 at 17:59.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2009-04-01, 18:17

I use it to move files from work to home and for sharing photos with my family. I've sent a folder link to my family so they just need to bookmark or whatever. Works really well for both, the viewers and the editor.... It's so dead simple to just drop files in there and it's done.

Features that would be cool :
-Comments for photos
-Video support
-A way to exclude folder on some computers. (Like not downloading all my photos on my work computer but still access all the others)

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
noleli2

2009-04-01, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
-A way to exclude folder on some computers. (Like not downloading all my photos on my work computer but still access all the others)
This is in the works. "Selective sync" and "Sync any folder" are the two major features being worked on right now (well, once they push out the latest stable build that's now in its third or fourth RC).
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-06-19, 09:01

When adding Dropbox to a new Mac, can I copy all the files to the proper Dropbox folder and then install the app and not have it download everything from the server? Does the index system work like that or do I have to download anyway?

Website | Twitter
EmC

2009-06-20, 09:06

I use it to store my lesson plans. I have folders for each class I teach and share them with other teachers that teach the same subject. It works really well. We can collaborate on lessons even when we are on the other side of the school.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
ironlung

2009-08-12, 11:23

Bump.
Amazing program and service. I have referred a lot of people to dropbox with no complaints. I hate that I didn't get space through their referral program though- because back then they didn't have one. In case some one feels generous, heres my referral link
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-10-04, 07:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlung View Post
Bump.
Amazing program and service. I have referred a lot of people to dropbox with no complaints. I hate that I didn't get space through their referral program though- because back then they didn't have one. In case some one feels generous, heres my referral link
I used your link, thanks!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-10-04, 07:21

https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTM2OTc1NDk ← in case someone wants to be nice to me.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-10-04, 10:25

Oh man! Their site is under maintenance!
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2009-10-04, 12:13

I use it to move aroound files like anyone else, but the 1Password/Dropbox combo is awesome.

I highly recommend 1Password for anyone who has many logins like I do. And Dropbox makes it so easy to sync passwords, credit card info and secure notes across multiple Macs and my iPhone.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-10-04, 12:24

I'll never understand what 1Password does that Keychain doesn't. On top of relying on hacks, it doesn't appear to bring much of anything to the table.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2009-10-04, 12:35

Here are a few things, chucker:
  • Strong password generator.
  • Automatically fill and save logins.
  • Store and encrypt credit card info.
  • Encrypted secure notes.
  • Access your passwords, notes, etc. from anywhere.

Well worth the $40 for me. Plus, the license is for the purchaser. You can install it on as many devices as you want.
chucker

2009-10-04, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew View Post
Here are a few things, chucker:
  • Strong password generator.
  • Automatically fill and save logins.
  • Store and encrypt credit card info.
  • Encrypted secure notes.
  • Access your passwords, notes, etc. from anywhere.
Okay… you got me on that last one. All others can be done in Keychain.

But if you can access them from anywhere, doesn't that kind of clash with their very first claim?

Quote:
No worries: Your data never leaves your computer.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-10-04, 12:43

Well, some of things are already technically part of OS X.
  • Strong password generator. -- Keychain does this.
  • Automatically fill and save logins. -- Safari does this.
  • Encrypted secure notes. -- Keychain does this.

edit: Oops. Beaten by the chuck.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

2009-10-04, 12:57

Well, I see 1Password has special support for entering your credit card card info. I suppose that's a neat feature.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-10-04, 18:27

1Password is one of those things that I didn't see any use for until I gar it a try. Sure, it duplicates some Keychain functionality, but it does it so much better and across browser that I really can't be on the Internet without it anymore.

Website | Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-10-05, 22:59

Figured I'd add my referal link from my welcome email.

https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTIzMDY2NjQ5

Last edited by turtle : 2009-10-06 at 00:05.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2009-10-05, 23:08

So this is turning into a "Post your referal link" thread ?

Here I go
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTc0NzI1OQ
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-05-12, 12:23

Mega Bump

Dropbox Quest begins now!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-05-12, 12:44

Gah, useless engadget article. Direct link to begin:

https://www.dropbox.com/dropquest2012
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-05-12, 16:32

Well, I quit. Chapter 12 is broken for me. I even "cheated" and found instructions from a few different sources, but is still doesn't work.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
This is the one where you go to https://www.dropbox.com/help and click the Hylian shield. For me, nothing special happens and it just takes me to the Security and Privacy page. I've tried different browsers, disabling blockers, etc. to no avail.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-05-12, 19:02

So who has the most free Dropbox space on AN?