Photo Challenge Thread (PCT): Show Me Your Neighbourhood

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Photo Challenge Thread (PCT): Show Me Your Neighbourhood
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-08-17, 20:48

Show Me Your Neighbourhood

For this challenge, I want you to find a view in your neighbourhood that portrays in a definitive or iconic way the area where you live. It could be a landscape picture, it could be a street view, it could be a photo of a building, it could be a ‘people’ shot, or anything else as long as it fits somehow within the above definition. It could be a beautiful shot, it could be a gritty shot, or it could just be a fun shot, as long, again, as it meets the criteria. A written explanation of your picture is optional: welcome, but not necessary. I want to be able to understand or feel something about where you live.

The technical rules are as usual: all entries must be taken with the contest period; no heavy photoshopping or other alterations. Otherwise, all photos welcome. The contest period runs until midnight, Pacific North American time, Sunday, September 25.

To give an idea, here is something that I would post (if I could make an entry) that could meet my criteria (except, obviously, not being taken within the contest period). This is a photo of my son setting out for a late-afternoon skate on the Rideau Canal - world's largest skating rink - that cuts right through our area, with the picture itself having been taken about 500m from our house. The Canal almost certainly would be viewed as the definitive geographic feature of the neighbourhood and affects the area and those who live here in a number of ways.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-08-21, 15:45

I just want to highlight this month's PCT to see if a bit of promo can get us more entries.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-08-21, 15:50

This is kind of a tough one, and a lot of people don't like the idea of posting this kind of stuff as it might give away where they live.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2011-08-21, 15:51

I don't mind giving away where I live, but I'm not home to take a neighborhood pic, and I don't know the city I'm in well enough to get an iconic pic of there.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-08-22, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
This is kind of a tough one, and a lot of people don't like the idea of posting this kind of stuff as it might give away where they live.
Quite a few are quite open about it (including you). Actually, some of your own shots are what I would have in mind as good examples. And for people who do not want to give anything away, a picture can be taken to avoid giving any real indication. I am not looking for name and address here. More than anything else, I want to know how your neighborhood makes you feel. Naturally, if anyone does not want to participate, that's fine too.

Last edited by Chinney : 2011-08-22 at 16:00.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2011-08-22, 16:40

Interesting that you mentioned some of my shots, since I cannot think of anything overly iconic or interesting in my neighbourhood. Oooh now I'm actually inspired by something... this should be good actually!
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2011-08-22, 17:31

That's really a challenge (to find some new pictures from my area. I have an extra set on flickr with pictures that were taken in walking (or cycling) distance of my home ...)

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-08-23, 01:38

Let me be clear too, while my example shot was taken about half a kilometre from our house, I am open to a wider definition of "neighbourhood". Anything within a few miles - about 5 km - would be fine. And I am not going to be too fussy even about that - neighbourhood is an elastic concept.

GSpotter
Veteran Member

2011-09-01, 13:59

I maybe find a better picture until the end of the contest, but for now this would be my (placeholder) entry:

It was taken less than 100m from my doorsteps. On the right side, you see the remainings of a railway embarkment going straight through the town. If you know where to look, you could see a ventilation shaft of the local salt mine. (The former railway led from the salt mine to an ammunition factory in WWII). You can also see that I live in a rather rural area (Although world's biggest automobile plant is only 25km away).

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-09-01, 14:25

Wow. That is some placeholder.

Incidentally, GSpot, I am now in your (former) neighborhood, staying in Stuttgart on a family vacation. I have been here before of course (I even lived here as very young boy), but I haven't been back for many years. Pictures to follow.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2011-09-01, 14:45

Okay here is a possible entry. Typical shot of Downtown Vancouver from Stanley Park. I have a few others that I might like better, but this is a start.

GSpotter
Veteran Member

2011-09-01, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Pictures to follow.
Cool! Looking forward to them.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-09-02, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpotter View Post
I maybe find a better picture until the end of the contest, but for now this would be my (placeholder) entry:
Quick technical question - is that an HDR? Seems like any time I try to properly expose a sunset like that, everything in the foreground is black/underexposed.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-02, 12:29

Here's a shot I took last night with my little old iPhone 4:

Like PB PM, it's also taken from Stanley Park, but on the other side, looking to the west. (Duh, obviously...)

It gave me that "I live here!?" feeling, so I thought it was appropriate.

I mean, technically, me and PB PM are cheating on this one, given that we live in The Best Place on Earth.*

* = Now officially second because of a road closure on a nearby island.
Wait, what?

Last edited by Bryson : 2011-09-02 at 12:42.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-09-02, 12:58

Vancouver would be better if cheese weren't so fucking expensive. *grumble*

Tough to believe I've been away from Vancouver for almost a year now...
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2011-09-02, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
Quick technical question - is that an HDR? Seems like any time I try to properly expose a sunset like that, everything in the foreground is black/underexposed.
No, it's a single shot. I used a gradient neutral density filter (to be exact: a 0.9ND Reverse Grad).
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-09-02, 14:01

Nice pics so far. Let's see more! And remember, you have a lot of latitude as to to type of photo within the theme. See my opening post for details.

GSpotter
Veteran Member

2011-09-04, 02:23

I cannot edit my original post anymore. I'd like to make this post my official entry for the contest. Although the word "neighbourhood" is interpreted a bit more freely, this picture (taken from my driveway) still shows that I live in a rural area: I can see lots of stars in a dark night

My photos @ flickr
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2011-09-04, 05:41

The Milky Way as your neighbourhood. I like it!

What's the post code of the Milky Way?

Nice photo, GSpotter. I guess getting the stars to look like stars instead of streaks required a bit of technical skill, too.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2011-09-04, 06:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Nice photo, GSpotter. I guess getting the stars to look like stars instead of streaks required a bit of technical skill, too.
ISO 6400, f/4, 10sec, 16mm (FX). With that focal length, the rotation isn't visible. I only needed a sturdy tripod (and a flashlight to find some buttons on the camera, it was rather dark...).

My photos @ flickr
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-09-08, 08:50

Just a reminder for those you might be considering an entry....
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2011-09-09, 00:37

2 more weeks! Working on it!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-09, 12:20

Quote:
Aha! AHA!

Quote:
I did some postprocessing in PS: I used Topaz Denoise and did play with the levels and curves (mainly to get a darker sky). The shooting conditions weren't optimal

I knew this GSpotter guy was too good to be true.
AWR
Veteran Member

2011-09-16, 02:03

After some hemming and hawing, I chose to submit this photo for the Show Me Your Neighborhood PCT. While I thought there were some 'nicer' shots on my roll, this one came back as the one showing my neighborhood as it is. I live in a small village and the neighborhood activity hub is the primary school and environs, pictured here at the beginning of a Sunday morning as kids congregate to do their stuff. We live no more than 200m from where I am standing. It's a dull place really but nice in that sense that there is never anything interesting happening so entertainment is impromptu, as I hope the shot conveys. Nothing special but I wanted in.

GSpotter
Veteran Member

2011-09-16, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I knew this GSpotter guy was too good to be true.
I expected some reaction likethat .The changes weren't that much: For the resulting size, the denoise doesn't make much difference anyway, and I could have corrected the color cast in the camera if I weren't too lazy for that. Apart from the (slight) color change, the original shot looks very much like the posted picture ...

My photos @ flickr
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-09-17, 09:21

Great. Let's see some more entries!
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-09-18, 18:26

For your consideration....

I am determined that a lack of entries this month will not be due to lack of promotion. Enter if you want, but if you want, by all means enter.

AWR
Veteran Member

2011-09-19, 07:05

I support your effort! A more convenient topic would be harder to find (perhaps: Your Kitchen!).

I will keep my present entry, simple as it may be, although glad you like the CERN one, Chinney.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-09-19, 09:50

I have to get an entry in for this months challenge...
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-09-21, 20:15

Just half a week left.