User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Presenting a new idea to Apple

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Presenting a new idea to Apple
The Iron Man

2005-10-31, 09:44

I would like to know how a person would go about presenting a new idea to Apple. Let's say you had thought of some kind of new software application or hardware device that had great potential. Does Apple frequently receive ideas from innovators and developers? Are they opposed to getting an idea from an outside source? Who would you contact in the Apple hiearchy? Do they have someone in R & D who deals with the consideration of new products and ideas? Or do you need some kind of "man on the inside"?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-31, 09:51

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Note, however, the unsolicited idea submission policy:
http://www.apple.com/legal/policies/ideas.html
Quote:
Apple or any of its employees do not accept or consider unsolicited ideas, including ideas for new advertising campaigns, new promotions, new or improved products or technologies, product enhancements, processes, materials, marketing plans or new product names. Please do not send any original creative artwork, suggestions or other works. The sole purpose of this policy is to avoid potential misunderstandings or disputes when Apple's products or marketing strategies might seem similar to ideas submitted to Apple. So, please do not send your unsolicited ideas to Apple or anyone at Apple. If, despite our request that you not send us your ideas, you still send them, then regardless of what your letter says, the following terms shall apply to your idea submission.

TERMS OF IDEA SUBMISSION
You agree that: (1) your ideas will automatically become the property of Apple, without compensation to you, and (2) Apple can use the ideas for any purpose and in any way, even give them to others.

PRODUCT FEEDBACK
Apple does, however, welcome your feedback regarding many areas of Apple's existing business. If you want to send us your feedback, and we hope you do, we simply request that you send it to us using the form found at http://www.apple.com/contact, or you can choose from the many other listed areas for your feedback. Please provide only specific feedback on Apple's existing products or marketing strategies; do not include any ideas that Apple's policy will not permit it to accept or consider. It's just one more way that Apple can learn how to best satisfy your needs.
The Iron Man

2005-10-31, 10:03

Brad, your post was helpful, however I was thinking along the lines of if you had an idea could you contact them in someway to get them to consider it. I am not talking about just sending them an email explaining your idea, I am picturing a person contacting them with some type of legal protection (i.e. Patent or Non-Disclosure Agreement) and meeting with them to discuss the viability of the idea and whether or not Apple would be interested in it. What I would like to know is if there is a person that is in charge of stuff like this at Apple and if offers like this ever happen. I am guessing that companies and individuals must come to them all the time with presentions of new patents and technologies.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-10-31, 10:09

Unless you work at Chiat Day, that ain't gonna happen outside of unsolicted, they own the idea style suggestions.

You'd have to be a big shot to pull off what you're talking about.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-10-31, 10:35

Yeah.

I e-mailed them about six years ago, telling them they really should consider making an mp3 player, and capitalize on that whole "i" thing they had going. They responded and said "bug off".

Then a year later...

Bastards.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-10-31, 10:51

Looks to me like His Steveness should watch the movie, "Robots"....
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-10-31, 11:20

Seriously, the best way to get their attention -- and I'm not saying this is necessarily feasible for everyone due to the $$$ involved -- is to actually develop your idea and bring it to market. Apple has their ear to the ground, and have hired people and bought products that have gotten their attention that way. But to simply solicit an idea, something you don't own and won't be compensated for, is poor business. Like I said, I know that kind of thing is out of reach for a lot of people due to the risks or simply getting the means, but that's how you usually need to get an idea in the door to bigger companies. Norville Barnes' "You know, for kids!" thing is the stuff of movies.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-10-31, 11:24

BuonRotto, 100% agreed.

But it still doesn't make it "okay" in my eyes. I'd wager that if we had this Barnes' ideology dominant, we'd be 1,000 years ahead in technology in a day or so. But that's my idealism speaking so I'll shut up.
The Iron Man

2005-10-31, 11:30

Gentlemen and Ladies, I am looking for a name here. I realize that the odds are somewhat stacked against a person or even a corporation presenting and idea, but if you were to talk to someone in Apple, who would it be? (Short of Steve Jobs personal phone number....unless any of you have it )
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-10-31, 11:42

The Iron Man, I don't have any names to give you. But even if I did, I wouldn't bother to contact them.

I'm speaking from experience; I tried to contact a department in a corporate headquarter, and did had names, but they blew me off. Didn't even bother to forward me to voice mail. Simply suggested that I write a nice letter to them and they may or may not get back to me.

If you are serious about the idea, I do suggest that you get together with right people who has either the skills, means, or ability to put it together, get it prototyped. Once you have a prototype, then this is when you can market it without getting ripped off or whatever.

Hopes that helps.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-10-31, 11:51

Plus a lot would matter on what the idea is. Advertising, Retail, R&D. All would be different contacts.

But unless you know these people outside of work and could drop an idea or two over a beer, good f'ing luck.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
The Iron Man

2005-10-31, 11:55

Banana,

Maybe I am revealing too much, but we have several prototypes and patent protection. We are a small newly formed corporation and I was hoping some of you Apple Geeks (I am becoming one too! ) could help me out with making sure we contact the right person at Apple. We want to approach them because of their reputation of integrity, excellence and innovation. The problem is that no one in my company has a contact inside their company. That's the problem that I thought an army of Apple fanatics could help solve....
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-10-31, 12:18

The Iron Man,

now that's different. My apologies; I thought you were like many here, full of bright new ideas and want to give His Steveness a gung-ho on how things should be. (If you didn't know, lemme introduce you to ah, Pscates 2.0, our resident mock up artist. he's a few posts above )

As I said, I don't have any names, but I'd think that you could at least talk to whoever helped you with getting it patented? Surely this person is a patent lawyer who can give you a rundown on how to market your idea?
The Iron Man

2005-10-31, 12:46

Hehe, yes I read pscates post...made me laugh! Yes I have been talking with our patent agent and he said that unless you have patent pending status you can forget about even getting your foot in the door. Reason for that is because if Apple talked with you and you had no legal protection then if you present them with an idea that they already had under development in their R&D then you could turn around after they release "your" idea (Which they knew about before you came along) and accusing them of stealing it. But if you have a patent filed that means that your idea already has some protection and if they used it they would run into patent filing problems anyways.

I was kinda hoping that there would be some hard core Apple fan here who went as far as studying the corporate structure and history of the company...although I suppose I am slowly turning into that fan myself...hehe

If you guys have any other ideas or speculations they are welcome...what I am really interested in is finding the name of the right person to contact (Besides Steve(Or as I am now learning "His Steveness")) although I rarely use such unconventional methods like forums to gather information for a major business venture....but hey? You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, right?
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-10-31, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Man
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, right?
That's silly, you can't miss a shot you didn't take. Will the poison pill that you don't eat kill you?

As for us...we like Apple products, I am not sure there are too many stalkers on these boards. I am thinking of a few members who could be stalkers though
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-10-31, 13:57

Wow. Didn't realize that marketing an idea would be that complicated. Goes to show that nothing is simple nowadays. (unless of course you're under a iron fist of a tinpot dictator, then yes, everything is simple. )

If anything else, I'm firmly convinced that our patent and copyright laws need serious re-tooling.

Good luck finding the right person.
autodata
hustlin

2005-10-31, 14:09

What BuonRotto said, and your subsequent posts don't change anything. Judging from your posts you are in way over your head.
The Iron Man

2005-10-31, 14:21

I haven't felt in over my head yet...but I may feel a bit nervous once we are standing in the board room of Apple...maybe I'll post a nice follow up after our meeting...
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-10-31, 14:39

Not in over your head...your going to forums boards to try and find contacts.

You'll probably have to sign an NDA just to enter past the lobby in Apple.
Jerman

2005-10-31, 14:49

Well, look what Gates did with IBM. Of course my knowledge is limited due to as lot of it coming from "The Pirates of Silicon Valley". Different company but a good example. I would almost say that they are a lot like IBM today. Even more closed to new ideas than them. That was a good example of some no-name guys doing something big. (Not saying you are no name, but they literally went from zero. So thee fact that you already have the company st up helps quite a bit). Of course no one likes them now but anyways.

What they had was a great product idea. (Well, maybe not but IBM thought it was). While they did not have the product to back it, they had the knowledge necessary to create it. I suppose that once you could get your product in the market it could do something similar to sound jam. Can't remember which product it was, whether it was sound jam or something else, but Apple bought their technology instead of coding iTunes from scratch. Same thing with Final Cut pro. Oh yeah, and Logic. The special thing about the iTunes example is that it wasn't a huge company that had created Sound Jam. Anyways, these were the first things I thought of. There was a good article awhile back on the iTunes deal, so I will see if I can dig it up for ya.
Jerman

2005-10-31, 14:50

Ahh, the article I was thinking about was about an app called Audion. They did not get a deal with Apple, but it describes their meeting with Jobs. I found it an awesom read when it was first published, so I hope it can help.

http://panic.com/extras/audionstory/
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-10-31, 16:00

I think what Apple would want to see is some marketing, proven interest or proven response to the market. Audion is a good example of that.
The Iron Man

2005-10-31, 18:17

Jerman and Buno, thanks for your positive response. I found that you never know where you might get a good contact or a good idea. I appreciate that article Jerman, I have just skimmed through it but it is already proving VERY interesting and it looks like there are some things there that will help us out.

Keep it coming guys!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-10-31, 19:54

You could try contacting Tony Fadell directly - his details are freely available on the web ... no guarantee on whether or not he even checks this account these days though.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-11-01, 04:21

Iron Man, Have you actually tried ringing any of the Apple numbers listed all over their website?

Try this...

Hopefully you won't end up at a call centre. Also, you are probably best writing a letter/email asking for the correct contact first, then following it up later with a phone call.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Kasracer

2005-11-01, 04:43

E-mail sjobs@apple.com or stevejobs@apple.com

Seriously, Apple's executive department actually goes through the e-mails sent to that address. I know a lot of people who were actually able to get in contact with an executive or two that way.

I couldn't guarentee you'd get someone calling you though. They probably go through, read and call 1 of 10934892 e-mails sent to the address but they do to it.

You can sign up with a developer's account and go to: https://bugreport.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/RadarWeb

Once signed it, click on new problem. this is a bug report for Apple engineering. Apple engineering does take a look at all bugs and, I believe; most requests. There is an option when filling out the form to say this is a feature request. That's as close to it as you're going to get.
The Iron Man

2005-11-01, 23:23

Thank you all for your replies. I have definately found some ideas and leads that will help me. God Bless.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-11-01, 23:55

Make sure you come back and tell us what transpired.
(*ahem* - when the time is right, of course )
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-11-01, 23:56

All I can say is...good luck.

And maybe mention something about a tablet Mac, too.

Legodude522

Send a message via ICQ to Legodude522 Send a message via AIM to Legodude522 Send a message via MSN to Legodude522 Send a message via Yahoo to Legodude522 Send a message via Skype™ to Legodude522 
2005-11-03, 04:44

Kinda remidns me about Open Source software. If there is something you want you can implement it yourself or tell a developer. That is why I feel OpenOffice is more innovative than M$ Office.

14" Apple iBook 1.42ghz, 1gb RAM, 160gb 7200rpm HDD. 2ghz AMD Athlon 64 3200+.
Palm m125 > Palm Zire 71 > Tapwave Zodiac 1 > Palm Zire 72 > Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000 -> Palm Tungsten T|3