AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Slime Illogic

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Slime Illogic
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-13, 02:03

So slime -- we all know they suck and tend to congregate in deep, lava-y places, but as a species of mob not often encountered several observations must be additionally made:

They do not appear to naturally despawn like other mobs, in fact, they don't.

They are visible at inordinate distances. I can see (with an x-ray texture pack) slimes 117+ blocks away actively jumping up and down, which is much greater than the reported 72 block radius active region around the player. Note: it is clear that Minecraft treats active chunks and viewable chunks differently -- viewing distance is quite significant on far, nearly 200 blocks which are loaded but not entirely active on the server. However, given the observation above, it is safe to assume that (like tamed wolves, seemingly) if you can SEE where the slimes are they count against the total number of hostile mobs, and thus, similar to tamed wolves which also do not despawn, can severely affect the number of hostile mobs spawning elsewhere. It seems in fixing the client side immortality of the slimes, Notch et al revealed a bug that probably had been lurking for slimes since their introduction. It isn't clear whether this will get fixed soon or ever ...

It is doubtful that this is the case, but it seems like slimes don't spawn NEAR cacti, in fact, I don't know how that aspect of the generic spawning algorithm is handled so it is possible that this is true for all mobs.

These behaviors in conjugate explain the intermittency of the mob spawns. In fact, I would suggest that the next time a lull in hostile mobs occurs someone don some x-ray goggles and go searching for their places of congregation and do whatever it takes to stop their spawning or encourage their death -- water and cactus, respectively. Lava does not kill them.

If you have any further observations about slimes feel free to share them here.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-13, 08:42

When I've paid attention to them at the bottom of the Stairs of Insanity I've noticed they tend to go north. If you look at the images that iJak posted plus the ones I posted you'll notice they all tend to head on direction: North.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-13, 11:55

So what do you suggest we do to slime-proof our mines? I haven't been very active but I'm assuming there could be a bunch of slimes in my basement that are cause you guys problems. I'd like to take care of this if possible.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-13, 12:35

I would suggest you not spend as much time looking for diamonds as I did down below.

Seems you could put cactus on the northern side of the lower mines. Seems they gravitate to the north which would cause them to run into the cactus and die! We hope.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-13, 12:39

Instead of figuring out which direction is north, just put cacti wherever you find slimes...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-13, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
So what do you suggest we do to slime-proof our mines? I haven't been very active but I'm assuming there could be a bunch of slimes in my basement that are cause you guys problems. I'd like to take care of this if possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Seems you could put cactus on the northern side of the lower mines. Seems they gravitate to the north which would cause them to run into the cactus and die! We hope.
I recently went through turtle's bedrock-level mine in Bridgeport and laid down a bunch of cactus. Hopefully that'll reduce the local population there. At the time I didn't know about the north-facing issue, though, and I think I may revisit those mines later to be sure the north wall is covered.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-13, 13:10

With x-rays on, whilst down in my mine, I can see what must be slimes out toward Brad's newest project. We can go after them later if anyone is interested.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-04-13, 13:57

So... they're like moss, and prefer the north side of things? Interestink.

And clever if true.
¡Damned!

2011-04-13, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I recently went through turtle's bedrock-level mine in Bridgeport and laid down a bunch of cactus. Hopefully that'll reduce the local population there. At the time I didn't know about the north-facing issue, though, and I think I may revisit those mines later to be sure the north wall is covered.
I went down there earlier today and found a couple dozen small-medium slimes congregating under the stairs and in each of the far corners. I put a few more cacti in myself, but it's probably worth it to revisit.

So it goes.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-13, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
So... they're like moss, and prefer the north side of things? Interestink.

And clever if true.
Oh yeah, just like moss. Moss that pushes you into lava
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-04-13, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Oh yeah, just like moss. Moss that pushes you into lava
I live in the Seattle area. That statement is not as impossible as you might think.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-13, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
I live in the Seattle area. That statement is not as impossible as you might think.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-04-13, 18:05

It's true! We're on a thin sheet of quaky rock over a massive lava pit, *AND* the moss is hyper-aggressive!

My wife and I raked about 20% of our lawn this weekend. We pulled out almost 300 *GALLONS* of moss. It was 4" thick in some places.

I wouldn't be surprised if we find a dead Sarlacc under there somewhere.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-13, 19:29

That's a great idea: Minecraft should get Sarlaccs or the Dune worms....
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-14, 09:31

I rechecked, they migrate West not North. Had to put on x-ray goggles to get my bearings right. So, forgive the North, it's West.

On that note, the cactus is doing the job, but you'll want to put the cacti within a block of the western wall. There were a few at the bottom of the stairs that had just finished killing a few slimes.