User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 12 of 103 First Previous 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16  Next Last Thread Tools
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-04-03, 14:48

I've enjoyed a few of the Dreamworks CGI movies. It's all about having a great story, IMO.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2009-04-03, 15:14

If you can get a chance to see Sunshine Cleaners do. Amy Adams and Emily Blount rock in that movie, It's not as much of a comedy as the ads suggest but it's still real good.
I think Amy Adams is the most talented actress in America today. (all the good ones seem to be Brits and Aussies the last ten years.)
Unless you have kids you probably didn't get to see her in Enchanted, she sings, dances, and is absolutely adorable in that. Junebug is an Indy that she got nominated for and she steals that movie. Hell she even steals scenes from Hanks and Julia Roberts in Charlie Wilson's War. Meryl Streep liked her so much in Doubt that they are working together again straight away in Julie & Julia which is a movie about a subject dear to my heart, Julia Child (Streep will play Julia Child), I'm really looking forward to that.
I think she plays Amelia Earhardt in the Night at the Museum movie this summer too.

We went to see Aliens and Monsters and all I could think was "goddamn, there isn't one original idea in this movie!" Look there's Mike Woszowscki, there's Totoro, etc.
I thought the only clever thing in the movie was Keifer Sutherland's general but then I read he stole the vocal characterization from Foghorn Leghorn in the Warner cartoons. Thank god Disney bought Dreamworks, maybe they can make them just stop.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-04-03, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Not only is it in my queue, it's already in the mail and it'll get here tomorrow. So I'll definitely watch at least the first 20-30 minutes. If Owen Wilson is really that bad, it'll get on my nerves and I'll shut the thing off. I have plenty of DVDs and HD-DVDs sitting around that I haven't seen yet that I want to see, and plenty of movies in my instant queue too.

Anyway, here are the war movies I have seen just so you know what you're working with:

Loved
Band of Brothers (a miniseries, not a movie, but whatever)
Full Metal Jacket
Saving Private Ryan
Three Kings

Somewhat liked
Flags of our Fathers
Hamburger Hill
Patton
Platoon

Hated
Big Red One
The Thin Red Line
We Were Soldiers
'War' flicks 'burb recommends:

Man Who Would Be King
Gallipoli
Kelly's Heroes
Das Boot
Bridge on the River Kwai
Guns of Navarone
Apocalypse Now
Tora, Tora, Tora

and if you want to compare Kubrick's other comments on war with FMJ, see
Paths of Glory
Dr Strangelove

... might remember more later

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-04-08, 07:31

Saw Crank last night. Wow, what a fun movie! Supremely entertaining. Jason Statham makes it worthwhile. For those not familiar with the movie, it's about a hit man who wakes up one morning feeling sick, only to discover he's been poisoned with something that is going to kill him unless he gets a constant supply of adrenaline. So what does he do? He starts going absolutely crazy, driving like a madman, beating people up, hijacking cars, robbing stores, and at one point he even has sex with a woman in public.

The movie is just under 90 minutes long, which is a good thing in my book. It's not your typical cookie-cutter action flick and it doesn't get mixed up in trying to be overly romantic, epic, dramatic, or anything other than pure, ridiculous, over-the-top fun. I watched a little bit of the director's commentary and a few things stood out:

- The script was written in four and a half days
- This was the first Hollywood movie either of the two writer/directors had done (good job for a first time!)
- They were very much aiming for the movie to have a fair bit of comedy in it, without turning any of the characters into comedians. Indeed, Jason Stratham's deadpan delivery (helped by his British accent) helps make all the ridiculous and funny stuff even better.

I'm a simple man, so the abundance of explosions, violence, car chases, and boobs was definitely a plus. Super fun if you want mindless entertainment.
¡Damned!

2009-04-08, 07:49

I like Jason Statham as well. He's laugh-out-loud funny in "Snatch."
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2009-04-08, 08:06

Jason Statham is one of those actors that I enjoy even in awful movies (like Death Race).

I just watched Sunshine for the fifth or sixth time. This is by far my favourite sci-fi movie. The ambiance is perfect, Cillian Murphy is terrific (as always) and the last twenty or so minutes always melts my brain. It's just so bloody awesome.
¡Damned!

2009-04-08, 08:32

I agree. I thought the premise was brilliant, and The Icarus(s) were one of the coolest spaceship designs I've ever seen.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-04-08, 09:03

Added Sunshine to my queue!
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2009-04-08, 09:15

Snatch is a horribly underrated movie.

Last edited by Luca : 2009-04-08 at 09:44. Reason: fixed tags
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-04-08, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento View Post
I disagree. Lots of people like it. Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is better, though, and is practically the same film otherwise.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-04-08, 10:16

I just saw "I Love You, Man" last night.

Absolutely hilarious. Paul Rudd is a funny ass dude. He's also great in Role Models.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-04-08, 11:10

Quote:
Saw Crank last night. Wow, what a fun movie! Supremely entertaining.
Yeah this is actually one of my favorite movies now (in my "active moviesphere"). It's like Luca said, it's unexpectedly, wickedly funny in parts, and it just does not ever take itself seriously, which makes it really enjoyable to watch. Here's a trailer for the new one, and watch for the scene with the grandma talking about how he treated her like his hot little whore. That's what it's all about.

I think Crank ranks among the best "funny/action" movies I've ever seen. It's like nonstop awesome through the whole thing. I'm definitely going to see High Voltage as soon as I can, the trailer makes it look like they haven't lost what made the first one so great.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2009-04-08, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
'War' flicks 'burb recommends:

Man Who Would Be King
Gallipoli
Kelly's Heroes
Das Boot
Bridge on the River Kwai
Guns of Navarone
Apocalypse Now
Tora, Tora, Tora

and if you want to compare Kubrick's other comments on war with FMJ, see
Paths of Glory
Dr Strangelove

... might remember more later
The Deer Hunter is better than all of those—indeed, better then most films ever made—and you leave it out?
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-04-08, 12:26

I didn't claim I was comprehensive, just listed the first memorable ones that jumped into my head.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2009-04-08, 12:45

After all the positive responses I might have to see Crank. When I saw the previews for it I just assumed it was The Transporter on crack.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2009-04-08, 12:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
The Deer Hunter is better than all of those—indeed, better then most films ever made—and you leave it out?
I just saw The Deer Hunter again recently. Can somebody clue me on the significance of the deer hunting in the movie? Was it just in there to show the relative strengths of the characters with respect to being soldiers (De Niro was clearly the best deer hunter and soldier)? And then later in the movie to show that De Niro wasn't interested in killing anymore? Or was there more to it? I mean, I'm thinking it was more than that, because the name of the frickin' movie is "The Deer Hunter."

Ugh.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2009-04-08, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento View Post
Quote:
I disagree. Lots of people like it. Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is better, though, and is practically the same film otherwise.
Lots of people like Snatch, but a lot of people have never seen it - I'm talking about the film!

In the Guy Richie realm of gangster flicks, my preference is this:
1. Snatch
2. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
3. RocknRolla
4. Revolver

That would make a pretty good weekend marathon.
¡Damned!

2009-04-10, 09:11

MOON (YouTube trailer, sorry)

How did I not hear about this?

Looks pretty interesting, and I love Sam Rockwell, so I'm looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. Hopefully it's not so indie where it's only playing at one theatre in town for a week.

[edit]: Better trailer here:

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2009-04-10 at 13:18.
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2009-04-10, 10:35

I'm going to go see Observe and Report tonight. I suspect I'll really like it but I don't think it will do very well. The trailer suggests it is so dark as to make Bad Santa look like a light hearted romp.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-06-08, 12:51

A couple more movies for me to review:

- The Edge: Wilderness survival movie about three guys (Anthony Hopkins, Alec Baldwin, and a black guy... guess who doesn't make it) who crash in the wilds of Alaska. Anthony Hopkins is a billionaire who has a lot of theoretical knowledge of wilderness survival, which he has to put to the test. It's a fun and exciting movie. Best Actor goes to the late Bart the Bear for this one. Quite a performance for the big guy.

- The Longest Day: A war movie, made in 1962, chronicling what happened on D-Day. One of the broadest scopes of any war movie I've seen. It covers just about everything that happened on D-Day, from the pre-invasion weather delays to the French resistance's role to the paradrops and beach landings. It also covers the German response. This is a three-hour epic in black and white with an ensemble cast. I watched it in two sittings. Definitely worth the time.

- The Hangover: Saw this one last night in the theater. Funny movie. Typical silly/dumb comedy, with a lot of shock humor. Not much else to say. Tip: the sequence of photos at the beginning of the credits are worth watching.
Spoiler (click to toggle):
Unless you'd rather not see a picture of Zach Galifianakis getting a blowjob from an old woman.

Last night, though, wow. The previews before the movie were all terrible. There was one for "Orphan," one for "Gamer," and one that I don't remember (maybe "Transformers"?). All I remember was remarking at how bad they looked, especially "Gamer." It has something to do with death row inmates of the future being controlled by people in a sort of real-life game.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-06-16, 10:06

Just saw a trailer for a documentary(?) called "It Might Get Loud".

Looks awesome! Just check it out...I won't spoil it here (the subject/individuals involved).

@_@ Artman

2009-06-16, 11:47

"It Might Get Loud" does look very interesting. I like White's work and having him and these two "icons" (Page yes, Edge?...not so much) passing on the knowledge of the heavy guitar gods would be interesting...

I remember a team-up with Keith Richards and Chuck Berry got off to a shaky start, but they made up and rocked on in some other documentary (Berry's 60th Birthday I think).

Now for something "old"...well, 1973. I bought Robert Altman's film "The Long Goodbye" with Elliott Gould ($4.99 used). An almost perfect masterpiece. Gould plays Phillip Marlow, who through the magic of Altman "wakes up" 20 years later and enters the world of the '70's in suit, tie and Camel cigarettes to solve a murder. Highly recommend it.

While I was watching it, I noticed a familiar face in a scene where Gould as Marlow is tossed into a drunk tank. Lo and behold, in an uncredited role is David Carradine (quite stoned/drunk mind you) ranting in the top bunk of the cell.

Also, near the end of the film, in another uncredited role is "Arnold Strong" or Schwarzenegger in his second screen appearance. No lines spoken, which was probably a good thing then.

Quote:
When the police are responding to the suicide of Roger Wade, Phillip Marlowe (Elliott Gould) becomes irate that they don't believe that Roger Wade could have murdered Terry Lennox' wife. He yells that he's going to call Ronald Reagan (then the governor) to protest their inaction. In the very next scene, Marlowe is brought to Marty Augustine's office for a shakedown. One of Augustine's bodyguards is an uncredited Arnold Schwarzenegger, later elected Governor of California. Thus Marlowe, in a way, gets to meet the governor. IMDB
I can understand why he makes no mention of this "brief" scene.

Overall, a very good rent if you want to check it out.

"I always question the received reality. The consensus reality is often intentionally misleading." - George Carlin
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2009-06-16, 14:42

never saw the movie, but it is one of my favorite books of all time

will have to give it a rent

g
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-06-16, 14:47

Just saw _Up_ this weekend.

Cried three times.

Bastards.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2009-06-16, 15:07

Just saw _The Hangover_ this weekend.

Cried three times.

Bastards.

(on a related note, my mom took my niece to see -UP-...my niece cried 5 times, my mom...none, not even close...us irish are kinda dead inside that way...we only cry if there aren't enough kegs at a wake)

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
addabox
Veteran Member

2009-06-16, 20:39

I love "The Long Goodbye." I remember being extremely impressed by the little joke of having all the music in the film be variations on the theme song, in various styles (particularly good was the Muzak rendering in the grocery store, if I'm remembering correctly).

I'm just now watching "California Split", another excellent Altman piece that holds up great. He had that period in the 70s where his rambling style perfectly suited his material (although there was a subsequent period where it sometimes seemed as if he were casting about for a milieu to "do", as in "A Wedding" or "Health").

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
¡Damned!

2009-06-16, 21:46

Rhona Mitra is the new, um, girl. That does things.
¡Damned!

2009-06-18, 14:43

OMG the new trailer for 2012 is out!!!

Watching this I threw up the horns while playing air guitar like, 50 times.
@_@ Artman

2009-06-18, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
I'm just now watching "California Split", another excellent Altman piece that holds up great. He had that period in the 70s where his rambling style perfectly suited his material (although there was a subsequent period where it sometimes seemed as if he were casting about for a milieu to "do", as in "A Wedding" or "Health").
"California Split" rules, I'm not a poker player or gambler, but the film can be seen on so many levels (friendship). The best film Elliott Gould and George Segal ever did in my opinion. Another one of Altman's I liked was "Short Cuts". It was groundbreaking at the time and was often copied either very well (Magnolia) or very, very badly (Crash).

"I always question the received reality. The consensus reality is often intentionally misleading." - George Carlin
feidhlim1986

2009-06-18, 21:09

Watched Transformer: Revenge of the Fallen Wed Night. I thought it was awesome. Saw most of the second half again tonight and still loved it. (I work in a cinema )