Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Safari 3.0 wishlist?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Safari 3.0 wishlist?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
JK47

2006-07-03, 04:26

Within the last year, the Apple browser market has changed significantly. No longer is Safari the only powerful, UI - consistent browser for OS X. Many Mac users have embraced Camino and Shiira. With that said, the Apple Safari team now has some pressure to make Safari even better. What features would you like to see in Safari 3.0? Some of the features on my wishlist include:

1. Faster! I tinker with the latest nightly builds of Camino, and have realized that it is significantly faster than Safari when loading nearly any page I throw at it.

2. Inline searching.

3. Customizable search bar, allowing the user to use any search engine. (Basically PithHelmet, without the bugs.)

4. Drag-and-drop tabbed browsing.

5. A tool to alphabetize your favorites. (Jesus, IE has had this since 98).

6. Some sort of "tab-expose" option. Dubbed "Quick Tabs" in IE 7.0.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-07-03, 05:11

There are some features from Omniweb that I like:
  • saved browsing sessions
  • workspaces
  • site preferences
  • customizable search bar (as already mentioned ... but I prefer AcidSearch)
---
Also, I'd like to see:
  • The bookmarks tab available as a separate window. If not, make sure the address bar changes when you open a bookmarks tab.
  • A redesigned interface such as Mail, iTunes and iPhoto etc. (While they're at it, update the look of Address Book, iChat, iCal and, of course, FTFF.)

That's it for now.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-07-03, 05:14

I'd just settle for Safari not choking on javascript heavy pages (like carmax.com when you get a bunch of search results).
Baron Munchausen

2006-07-03, 06:49

Safari chokes on the MIT Tech Review pages and sometimes gags on ZDNetUK as well, especially when reading the comments to stories.

Either Safari has a flaw or the scriptkiddies at those sites are donkeys.
Moonmonkey

2006-07-03, 07:07

My Ideas

SAVE SESSION
1 Close a window with multiple tabs and you get the option to "Save Session" or "Don't Save" or "Cancel". There is a new sessions folder in the bookmarks folder and a new "Save Session..." option in the file menu. All a Session is an "Auto-Click" (multiple site) bookmark (the capability is already in Safari). See image.

2 As an addition to the save session feature, you can set Safari to automatically restore the last session on launch, the would be done in the General tab in the "Home Page" section.

3 The close button would have a dimple when more than one tab is open and the session is not saved.

RE-ORDER TABS
Be able to Re order tabs within windows and across windows, just like in Firefox except they slide smoothly into place and automatically change size (like when you play with the dock), you can also drag tabs out of Safari into the Dock or other apps to create links.

NEW TOOLBAR ITEMS
You would be able to add to the Toolbar (not present by default): "View Source", "Downloads", "Activity" and "Mail Contents of page" and "Mute". See image. A mute menu option would need to be added too.

BLOCK IMAGES
A new contextual menu to "Block images from www.???.com"
This feature is present in Firefox and is fantastic, I would want the page to instantly drop all images from the selected server after this option (from a contextual menu) is selected, with no reload. There should be an option to "Re-enable all images blocked from this page" in the view menu.

CUSTOMIZABLE SEARCH ENGINES
Options for changing the search engine should be available in the advanced section of the prefs, still keep google the default, but let us use Dogpile if we want.

PAGE TRANSITION EFFECTS
This title will be enough to make most people freak out in anger, I'm not talking serious distracting eye candy. All I want is an iPod style "Push"

Back Button = Screen pushes right
Forward Button = Screen pushes left
Snapback = Screen pushes down

This would only be enabled on fast machines and have to be very fast, for instance on an ipod you can triple click the button and it shoots back three layers, very responsive and gives excellent user feedback. The pages would all be cached anyway so there would be no load time.
See animation (running in very slow motion, and yes I know the title and address bar are not updating correctly)

Little Things

•"Search *insert search engine here* in New Tab" instead of "Search Google" in a contextual menu when a link is selected (this would obviously only change of tabs were enabled). See image.

•"Go to Address in New Tab" instead of "Go to Address" (this would obviously only change if tabs were enabled). See image.

•When you press the back button, Safari jumps directly back to the same position on the page you scrolled too (not load the page and then jump).

•Expose would treat all tabs as separate windows so you could F10 (or equivalent) and see all tabs on the screen.

•Safari windows (including the download manager) should update themselves when minimized to the dock.

Any other ideas?
GOLDFRAPP

2006-07-03, 07:49

1. Editable web page source
Henriok

Send a message via AIM to Henriok  
2006-07-03, 10:19

I think Apple should keep Safari lean and clean. If you want the features of Shiira, OmniWeb, Saft and PithHelmet, then by all means, use them. Apple should concentrate to add features to WebKit, not Safari. Make it faster, more stable, more versatile, more standards compliant and so forth. Revise how plugins work such as buggy third party plugins won't bring Safari or the entire system so a halt. By all means, build and document an easy way for developers to add new feature for those who want them, a bit like addons to Firefox. I don't want feature kreep in Safari, but others obviously do, so why not give them and developers a chance to stuff Safari with as much useless resource hogging crap as possible.

And change the RSS-graphics to the emerging orange "standard" used by Mozilla, IE and others.
Baron Munchausen

2006-07-03, 10:23

1) I prefer a separate expose of all the tabs within that window (i.e. shrink and tile within the Safari window), not across all the screen mixed in with all other app windows.
2) Single tab expose to show all the page in the window (nearly resolution independence...)
3) 4-way Tab navigator - forward/back in tab, next/prev tab. Might need to have a control that has NE/SW as tab next/prev to enable SE/NW to be the traditional web forward/back within the open tab to maintain intuitiveness.
4) Find across all tabs
5) Replay history even across boots
6) History "threading" so we can see what tabs went where. History right now is temporal, but all tabs are interwoven...not nice when I often have 15+ tabs going across 5 windows each for different purposes.
7) Thumbnails in the history as a WIBNI, using a Dock-like magnify as you scan back in time. Our brains are primarily visual so this would make sense unless it were a series of Googles :-)

BTW I do like Moonmonkey's "microfiche reader" transitions and these would work wonderfully with the above.
mooty

2006-07-03, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmonkey
•"Go to Address in New Tab" instead of "Go to Address" (this would obviously only change if tabs were enabled). See image.
Isn't this already achievable? If you have it set to open all new urls in a new tab, that option automatically opens the url in a new tab.. although it doesnt actually SAY it would
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-07-03, 10:45

With thanks to "Moonmonkey" for the screenshot, I'd like to see the arrow* seen in the above picture (*the arrow/drop-down menu that appears when there's no more room for additional tabs) have a *number* added to it that shows the number of additional pages in the drop-down menu. With so many trackpad issues, it would be helpful to have immediate visual feedback that additional pages have indeed opened.
lavieboheme

2006-07-03, 11:35

When you close a tab, the most recently opened tab should be actived, not the tab behind what was just closed. This feature's available in Opera, and I find it quite useful.

Okay, that's not very clear. Screenshots using Opera (on Windows, which I prefer over Firefox):
When you close this tab:

This tab opens, instead of the "Apple" tab which was behind the closed tab:
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-07-03, 11:39

There are a few things I'd like to see.

- When you go to edit your bookmarks and then leave the edit window, it reloads the page you were at before instead of taking you back to the cached one. I really wish it behaved differently, so the bookmark editor was treated more like a layer on top of the page rather than another page.
- Safari shouldn't slow down and stutter if you open more than one tab every five seconds. I thought it might just be my 12" PowerBook (still not really a slouch, it has a 1.5 GHz G4 and 1.25 GB of RAM), but the same thing is happening in this computer lab I'm in on a dual 2.7 GHz G5 with 2 GB. If I open several tabs in quick succession, Safari beachballs and the fans in the G5 spin up. That performance is pretty sad.
- Please, please, a true customizable toolbar, along with separate reload and stop buttons.
- History and Bookmarks should both be accessible in a separate window or drawer. History should be searchable. Having to go through menus ONLY is stupid.
- I would like an ad-blocking feature, or at least the ability to disable GIF animations. I don't even really mind looking at standard ad banners, but the flashing ones make my blood boil. Perhaps the GIF animation disabling would be turned off if you just have a GIF open in a window or tab (rather than viewing it inline in a web page); that way you wouldn't have to go into the preferences to watch an animated GIF.
- I'd like a "New Folder" option in the sheet that pops down when you use the "Add Bookmark" command.
- I really want there to be a confirmation dialog for when you hit the close box or tell Safari to quit when you have multiple tabs open. Automatically saving sessions a la Opera would be nice too. I know I can add this via a third party (the confirmation dialog at least).
- Technically it's up to Google to do this, but I'd love for the next version of Safari to be compatible with Google Calendar.

I guess my suggestions aren't particularly innovative, they're more just features that other browsers already have that I'd like to see in Safari. Oh well, there are still some great ideas here, especially that page-sliding animation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavieboheme
When you close a tab, the most recently opened tab should be actived, not the tab behind what was just closed. This feature's available in Opera, and I find it quite useful.
You might, but I tried using Opera a few times and I found that behavior to be extremely annoying. EXTREMELY annoying. I don't want to go back to where I just was 99% of the time. When I have a lot of tabs open it's usually because I'm at a message board and I have command-clicked on several topics I want to read. This is why Safari's behavior, for me, is a whole lot better than Opera's. Opera kept taking me back to the list of topics, which is exactly the opposite of what I wanted it to do.

Obviously, everyone has their own preferences, but this should NOT be a standard feature. At most, it should be a small option that can be activated if you so choose. I hate that Opera has it active by default, and it's very difficult to change it. In fact, you can never make the tab closing behavior exactly the same in Opera as it is in Firefox and Safari. The best you can do is to make it so when you close a tab, it changes focus to the tab immediately to the left of the one you closed. The problem is that if you close the leftmost tab, it takes you all the way to the rightmost tab (because that's the one "to the left" of the leftmost tab).

Not to mention Opera messes with all kinds of generally accepted conventions for no reason at all. There are a lot of great things and lots of customization, but why do they have to call tabs "Pages" and assign different keyboard shortcuts to every little thing? It's silly.

Last edited by Luca : 2006-07-03 at 11:44.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-07-03, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
- Safari shouldn't slow down and stutter if you open more than one tab every five seconds. I thought it might just be my 12" PowerBook (still not really a slouch, it has a 1.5 GHz G4 and 1.25 GB of RAM), but the same thing is happening in this computer lab I'm in on a dual 2.7 GHz G5 with 2 GB. If I open several tabs in quick succession, Safari beachballs and the fans in the G5 spin up. That performance is pretty sad.
I don't get this. I just now tested this on my Dual 2.3 GHz PM (4 GB of RAM, that may of course be the difference), opening 10 tabs in about 3-4 seconds and they all just opened. No beach balls or anything like that.

I'll try it on my MBP a little later...
JayReding

2006-07-03, 11:56

I'm less concerned with the UI than Safari's JavaScript handling. Safari's the red-headed stepchild when it comes to a lot of JavaScript techniques. Safari still doesn't support ContentEditable, it has problems with Google apps, and until Drosera came along, it didn't have a decent debugging environment.

If the scripting engine would get up to where Firefox is, that would make Safari a much easier platform for developers.
johnny5

2006-07-03, 12:00

Auto-scroll cancellation:

When navigating back to a previously viewed page, if the user begins scrolling down the page before it's completely loaded, the browser should NOT snap back to the previous scroll position after it finishes loading. In other words, any scroll bar movement should cancel the post-load autoscroll.

For example:

On ebay, if I click one auction in the middle of a long list of search results, then decide that it's not the one I want, obviously I will go back to the list of auctions. This page will reload, then after reloading, it will instantly zip me down to the scroll position I was at before I clicked that first auction. However, by the time the page finished loading, I've already scrolled further down the list, and then bam! It shoots me back up to the scroll position of that previous auction!

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
It seems like it would be such an easy fix for the Safari developers.
initialsBB

2006-07-03, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriok
I think Apple should keep Safari lean and clean. If you want the features of Shiira, OmniWeb, Saft and PithHelmet, then by all means, use them. Apple should concentrate to add features to WebKit, not Safari. Make it faster, more stable, more versatile, more standards compliant and so forth. Revise how plugins work such as buggy third party plugins won't bring Safari or the entire system so a halt. By all means, build and document an easy way for developers to add new feature for those who want them, a bit like addons to Firefox. I don't want feature kreep in Safari, but others obviously do, so why not give them and developers a chance to stuff Safari with as much useless resource hogging crap as possible.

And change the RSS-graphics to the emerging orange "standard" used by Mozilla, IE and others.
hear hear, iSecond that motion !
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-07-03, 15:55

Luca, history is searchable, via the bookmarks "page". The rest I agree with.
Mac Donald

2006-07-03, 16:07

Quote:
along with separate reload and stop buttons
I hope to be proven wrong, but I firmly believe that we will not see that for a very long time. I think Apple has convinced itself that this was an innovative simplifying thing that people want because "it just works" (even though it doesn't, as has been discussed here ad nauseam). I analogize to the one-button mouse, and Apple's long (and in my view dumb) stubborness to stick with it despite the fact that many, many users wanted two or more buttons (including potential switchers who saw the lack of two-button mice as a deal-killer).

Someone hacked my signature. I demand an investigation.
ZachPruckowski

2006-07-03, 23:19

A content-blocker like AdBlock on Firefox, but built in, and able to accept a .txt list to be imported. That's the ONE thing that keeps me on Firefox now.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-07-04, 00:02

Ability to close windows from the Dock.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-07-04, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
There are a few things I'd like to see.

- Technically it's up to Google to do this, but I'd love for the next version of Safari to be compatible with Google Calendar.
Ask and you shall receive...

Google Calendar Now Supports Safari
krinsome

2006-07-04, 00:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooty
Isn't this already achievable? If you have it set to open all new urls in a new tab, that option automatically opens the url in a new tab.. although it doesnt actually SAY it would
Where is that option? I've been looking everywhere for it?

I hate hitting cmd-tab to open a new link in a new tab. I loved that feature in Firefox, but Firefox doesn't have a built-in RSS reader so I've stuck with Safari. (I don't like the Sage plug-in) I might give Omniweb a try, it looks pretty nice.

BTW I'd love to see Safari do plug-ins/widgets or whatever Apple would call them.

Black MacBook 2ghz Core Duo
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
mooty

2006-07-04, 03:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by krinsome
Where is that option? I've been looking everywhere for it?
Under General at the bottom. If you select to open links from applications in a new tab it will... I tested it from text edit and it works fine.

oh, but you want from within safari... probably doesnt work from there
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2006-07-04, 07:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmonkey
My Ideas

SAVE SESSION
1 Close a window with multiple tabs and you get the option to "Save Session" or "Don't Save" or "Cancel". There is a new sessions folder in the bookmarks folder and a new "Save Session..." option in the file menu. All a Session is an "Auto-Click" (multiple site) bookmark (the capability is already in Safari). See image.

2 As an addition to the save session feature, you can set Safari to automatically restore the last session on launch, the would be done in the General tab in the "Home Page" section.

3 The close button would have a dimple when more than one tab is open and the session is not saved.

RE-ORDER TABS
Be able to Re order tabs within windows and across windows, just like in Firefox except they slide smoothly into place and automatically change size (like when you play with the dock), you can also drag tabs out of Safari into the Dock or other apps to create links.

NEW TOOLBAR ITEMS
You would be able to add to the Toolbar (not present by default): "View Source", "Downloads", "Activity" and "Mail Contents of page" and "Mute". See image. A mute menu option would need to be added too.

BLOCK IMAGES
A new contextual menu to "Block images from www.???.com"
This feature is present in Firefox and is fantastic, I would want the page to instantly drop all images from the selected server after this option (from a contextual menu) is selected, with no reload. There should be an option to "Re-enable all images blocked from this page" in the view menu.

CUSTOMIZABLE SEARCH ENGINES
Options for changing the search engine should be available in the advanced section of the prefs, still keep google the default, but let us use Dogpile if we want.

PAGE TRANSITION EFFECTS
This title will be enough to make most people freak out in anger, I'm not talking serious distracting eye candy. All I want is an iPod style "Push"

Back Button = Screen pushes right
Forward Button = Screen pushes left
Snapback = Screen pushes down

This would only be enabled on fast machines and have to be very fast, for instance on an ipod you can triple click the button and it shoots back three layers, very responsive and gives excellent user feedback. The pages would all be cached anyway so there would be no load time.
See animation (running in very slow motion, and yes I know the title and address bar are not updating correctly)

Little Things

•"Search *insert search engine here* in New Tab" instead of "Search Google" in a contextual menu when a link is selected (this would obviously only change of tabs were enabled). See image.

•When you press the back button, Safari jumps directly back to the same position on the page you scrolled too (not load the page and then jump).

•Expose would treat all tabs as separate windows so you could F10 (or equivalent) and see all tabs on the screen.

•Safari windows (including the download manager) should update themselves when minimized to the dock.

Any other ideas?

Brilliant! Especially the expose and page transition effects.
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2006-07-04, 07:24

I'd like to be able to reorder my bookmarks in menus from folders in my bookmark bar by dragging and dropping, like you can reorder bookmarks in Internet Explorer for Windows. And also to delete them from there.

So I don't have to go to the bookmark management pane, an action that feels very unnatural to me when I want to modify something in the bookmark menus themselves.
Baron Munchausen

2006-07-04, 09:20

While we are at it we should be able to ADD bookmarks by dragging into the bar elements...not just the top level as now but to enable this to cascade.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-04, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic
Brilliant! Especially the [...] page transition effects.
Ick. Have you ever used that page-flip option in Shiira? It doesn't really work well unless your connection to the server is very fast and reliable. It's generally a terrible waste of eye-candy, IMO.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Baron Munchausen

2006-07-04, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Ick. Have you ever used that page-flip option in Shiira? It doesn't really work well unless your connection to the server is very fast and reliable. It's generally a terrible waste of eye-candy, IMO.

That's odd...I imagined it working much as tab flipping does now...
Frank777
Veteran Member

2006-07-04, 16:09

The only thing that bugs me about Safari is forgetting and closing the window when you have other tabs open.

A reminder would be nice.
Moonmonkey

2006-07-04, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
This idea is nothing like the one in Shirra, this gives you a good sense of page navigation, not just a useless effect.